“Great hotel restaurant service needs addressing” 4 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor
Allensford DH8 9BB, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Allensford
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Great hotel restaurant service needs addressing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Just got home from a lovely night at this hotel using a groupon deal. Hotel is impressive from the outside and clean and Cosy on the inside. Our reception check in went without a hassle and our room was very clean and really comfortable, bed was probably most comfy bed I've ever slept in! Yes the bathroom tiles were a bit dated but who cares they were really clean. We had dinner included with our stay in the restaurant. I must mention that although it was busy we waited over half an hour for somebody to take our drink order. My partner didn't like anything on menu (hes a really fussy eater) but was allowed to order from bar menu (to a value of £12 for main). I had steak which I really enjoyed (paid extra supplement for this) and the sticky toffee pudding was to die for! We really enjoyed our food when we eventually got it (50 mins after being seated). I think the hotel need to look at how the restaurant is managed, it seemed a bit chaotic, tables were getting cleared before taking orders when there was nobody waiting for a table....crazy!! Staff were very friendly. Breakfast was good and service much quicker than at dinner, was glad we weren't seated in "overspill room". When we checked out at reception there was a problem with restaurant extra charges, but these were resolved quickly and efficiently. I would definately recommend and return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Paul M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Many thanks breakfast does get busy and a second room is used, glad you enjoyed the food you had, but the package you were on did state restaurant menu as it is built into your package.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Newcastle UponTyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We recently visited the hotel for a wedding and I must say it could not have been any better. Apart from the fantastic wedding the hotel was top drawer.
I visited this hotel several years ago when looking for a venue for my own wedding and this place was looking very tired and a bit shabby hence I was underwhelmed when told we were staying there for an upcoming wedding. How wrong I was, this place is looking great now yet still holds onto a really rural feel.
To start we got upgraded to a suite which was fantastic. Separate sitting room, Huge double bedroom, en suite with corner bath etc. and a single bedroom with en suite which our son stayed in and a balcony with breathtaking views.
The bar area is really nice and the food was great. I lost my jacket at the reception with my iPhone 5, wallet and bits in and it was picked up by the staff and put behind reception. I wouldn't have been surprised to have seen the back of it but fair play somebody has some morals there.
Downside- the wine is expensive and not the best. I love my wines and for £17.50there was a very poor selection.
Definitely worth a visit

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Many thanks for your great comments we do try hard, delighted you got your items back, will relook at our wine offering in the new year.
Staffordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

On arrival we were given an upgrade because there had been some problems with our booking. The had been sorted efficiently prior to our visit, so the upgrade was a great surprise. We stayed in the Bolbec Suite, which had 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms and a living room. There was also a balcony and fabulous views from every window.
The rooms were clean and comfortable, but will soon be in need of an update. The staff were very helpful. Our breakfasts were delicious, and we enjoyed them so much more on the days we were in the main dining room. The 'overspill' room felt a little bogged together and temporary. If it is going to continue to be used regularly, the management should really think about how it could be made more comfortable and visually appealing. Overall a great place for exploring the local area.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
glad you were looked after, will look at breakfast service in second room.
Sunderland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My fourth stay at Derwent Manor. I would agree with all the comments expressed in other reviews especially about the extra supplements on the dinner menu. However, I do think the "deal" offer is exceptional value for money especially with the bottle of wine included and both my husband and I enjoyed our evening meals. Our two-night stay was lovely, the room was spacious with beautiful views. We took our little dog and I am sure there will come a time when they will eventually not allow dogs as there are fewer rooms available to accommodate our canine friends - but she was made welcome and the room quality was not compromised. The surrounding countryside is gorgeous and well worth exploring. I would recommend Derwent Manor every time whatever the occasion.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We will always welcome well behaved dogs, the deal is very good and hence we give clients the ability to upgrade on the menu.
BARNSLEY ENGLAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We just got back from a 2 night stay and had a great time. The hotel is in a great location for visiting Newcastle, Durham or Hadrians wall but the local countryside is lovely and it's worth spending a day walking and seeing the local villages.
We thought the hotel was clean, we had excellent rooms, the leisure centre is small but spotless and the food was good although service a little slow.
Recommended.

Room Tip: A room with a view is worth having - the views are special.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
thanks your comments are most welcome
Blyth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is very nice but have to say same as other reviewers, rooms are clean but need updating as do the bathrooms. Not many places not upgraded to flat screen t.v.'s for example and furniture old and marked, no wardrobe, just a hanging rail, bed bases were tatty and very noisy when you sat on them. Our deal included evening meals in the restaurant which to be honest I wasn't impressed with, only ate there first night. Starter of pea and bacon soup, no sign of any bacon, it was just watery green liquid, just like the contents of tinned peas. Main course had to be chicken as I don't eat red meat, didn't like it, dessert was nice Eton Mess with blackberries. Asked if we could eat in the bar instead as there was more choice on that menu, but it was a no. We would have to pay if we wanted to do that.
The fire alarm went off at 11.50pm the first night we were there and what a shambles that was. All the guests were in the car park, waiting and waiting....................... no staff to be seen. Eventually a guy turned up and attempted to do a roll call, but by this time some guests had wandered back to reception, some were in the carpark and others were sitting in their cars, eventually he gave it up as a bad job and everyone drifted back to their rooms without any apology or explanation. Still waiting yet for the fire service to show up and investigate, bit of a worry!! One staff member on duty I felt was a disgrace. Breakfast was ok, 1 sausage, 1 rasher of bacon, 1 mushroom, 1 egg, small ramekin of beans. If you want continental get there early, danish pastries and croissants go quickly and aren't replenished. All in all we did enjoy our stay, it was quiet, peaceful and relaxing. We did eat out for our main meals though as didn't like choices in restaurant and menu doesn't change, except for the soup.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks your comments will be looked into as our food choice is extensive in the restaurant 8 starters 8 mains and 8 sweets all DBB packages are costed to eat in the reasturant. However bar is available but with a different allocation of £12 only.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Recently me and my wife and 2 year old daughter stayed at The Derwent Manor. We experienced a great welcome from the manager who was very helpful. Our room was spacious and well decorated apart from the bathroom which was a little tired looking and looked like something our of a prize off a re-run of Bullseye from the 80's.

On our first night we went for dinner which was included in our package, we were seen to promptly and seated without fuss. It seemed like we were on 'the deal menu' which consisted of a few choices per course. The usual soup, stroganoff, ice cream were part of the deal menu but even things like Potato skins had a supplement charge against them, It seemed to me like they made the choices included in our package sound so bland and tasteless that you had to order from the supplement menu to get any sort or flavour or satisfaction from your evening meal - All at £5 each!

You will also notice that the drinking water looks like one of the waiters has had a pee in it! This is due to the fact that it comes from a natural spring and is triple filtered and has not been added to by the shady looking waiter. I didn’t take his word for it and left it to one side!

On the 2nd day we spent some time looking round the local area and then went back to use the swimming pool on site which was fantastic, really clean and unusually the pool was lovely and warm. Better still you could still in the Jacuzzi and beckon the waiter to bring over a stiff G&T while you over look the kids splashing in the pool or the old dears desperately trying to keep their hair out of the water while they slowly make their way back and forth up and down the pool.

On the 2nd night we decided to ditch the restaurant and eat in the bar using the bar menu, which wasn't included in our package. It was Fab! I had the burger which was amazing and if i stayed there again I would eat there both nights.

Breakfast was also a treat, giving you just enough to see you through to lunchtime.

I would recommend staying there and would go back, just don't drink the water..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
WOW what a experience, iam sure for a fact the waiter did not pee in the water as it is passed my management as safe to drink. !

Been to BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor? Share your experiences!