“Sycamore Cottage” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, England, United Kingdom
“Sycamore Cottage”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

We stayed in the Sycamore Cottage which is operated as part of the hotel. I think the fairest description of the cottage is 'functional - but only just'. Both of the bathrooms in the cottage were in a very poor state of repair - leaking shower trays, duct tape around toilet waste pipes, etc. The decor and furniture are straight out of the 70s/80s and urgently need updating. The kitchen facilities work - but are very basic. There's also a lot of sloppiness - mirrors that aren't mounted straight on the wall; curtains that don't meet properly, light bulbs that need replacing, etc. A small amount of investment would work wonders here.

The pool/spa/sauna themselves were excellent, however the changing rooms are in dire need of updating - the lockers are rusting and keys missing for some of them, plus they are generally small and cramped.

On the other hand the staff in reception were very helpful and friendly. The couple of times we used the hotel bar for food we found the service excellent, friendly and quick, and the food was decent pub fare, if a little overpriced. Worth checking if there's a wedding/event on when you book your stay as this pretty much took over the restaurant AND bar for a period of time - however once everyone moved back into the restaurant, all was OK.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Jesse12shrews, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Many thanks regards your comments regards Sycamore Cottage. Due to your constructive and positive comments we are now undertaking a review of the cottage for the benefit of future guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

What a lovely farm conversion and set in such wonderful countryside. My husband and I stayed 23rd/14th Sept as part of the deal incuding tickets to Alnwick Castle.
The room was very spacious and our request fro a ground floor room or near a lift was dealt with. They gave us a ground floor room, but warned us that there was a function on on the saturday night which we may find noisy but the sound proofing was excellent as we could barely hear it. They also offered us food in our room at no extra cost as the lift was out of order and the restaraunt was upstairs and my husband is diasabled. However he managed the stairs.
The food was excellent , the staff friendly and helpul and I could not have asked for a better hotel. It deserves more that it's 3 stars for the staffing. The bar prices were reasonable for a hotel of this standard and so was the bar food.
I did use the pool and it is a pity that they spent so much money, to put such a small pool in. It was no where near wide enough, only 2 people could swim lengths side by side or to be able to pass each other, and a little longer would have been nice. Once there were 3 people in it was impossible for all to swim lengths without stopping to let others past.
A recommendation to the owners/manager is that they put a fixed seat against a wall in the changing rooms for disabled people, as when I sat down to get dried and dressed the seat moved back wards, luckily my disability is relatively minor but another person may have ended up on the floor. There is no changing room with a seat if anyone is shy and disabled(fortunately I am not).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Jesse12shrews, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Thank you very much for your lovely comments!
Wigan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

this hotel is the perfect setting for a family getaway, or like myself a weekend away with my partner. the food in the restaurant was second to none and the general atmosphere of the staff was brilliant.
however,there is a but.and a big one at that. my partner and i actually witnessed a well dressed man addressing various members of staff in a rude and abrupt manner. we were then told by another guest in the bar that this 'man' was actually the head manager of the hotel! he seemed to have no consideration for guests being in the vacinity and earshot of what was being said and simply strolled through the bar without a care in the world,leaving the staff to do what seemed to be a very hard job on a very busy night.
this would be the only downfall we could say about the hotel as it really is a stunning place and the function rooms are truly magnificent.
would certainly return to this hotel as the staff made us feel so welcome and went out their way to please all the guests and dont seem to get enough credit for how hard they all work.
the staff truly do make this hotel the gem that it is!

Room Tip: higher floors may reduce the risk of hearing the functions noise from the downstairs rooms,although...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Your comments are noted, sometimes staff do require to be told that customers come first. Apologise if this was done in your ear shot.
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed at the Manor 24th/25th Sept. We had a warm welcome from Babis and the team. We stayed in a Derwent suite which was roomy and clean and had fantastic views over the local countryside. The restaurant staff and the breakfast staff were all from the same mould as the front of house staff, warm welcome, friendly and helpful. As I said in the title, people, in this case, the staff; are the main drivers in a business. The owners of the hotel should be proud to have a team so committed.
We stayed as part of a promotional weekend and had 2 tickets for access to Alnwick Castle and Gardens, fantastic! A great weekend.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thankyou for your positive comments on staff, very much appreciated!
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

Before my wife and I went to the Derwent Manor we read some reviews and feared the worst ! I completely fail to comprehend how anyone with any travelling experience can give this hotel anything but a good write-up. Both the recetion and the dining room staff were very friendly and extremely competent - we have stayed at 5 star hotels where the reception has nowhere near matched up to that received at this hotel.
The huge bedroom was spotlessly clean as was the bathroom -believe me, being a regular trip advisor reviewer I do check these things and ALWAYS report honestly - the bed was very comfortable, and every facility you could wish for was included in the room. We ate dinner in Guinevere's restaurant - again, it would be impossible to find any fault with either the service or the food quality. I can only imagine that those reviewers who said there was insufficient food were used to little more than a plateful of chips ! In our opinion, the chef deserves the highest praise for the dishes that had he had prepared.
Although I did not have time to actually use the leisure facilities, I nevertheless had a look at them, and they were far superior to what I had expected - they were extremely clean and the staff really helpful and chatty.
Some reviewers have criticised the bar prices - I can tell you that the drinks I purchased were cheaper than I pay in our local restaurants near home. Let's face it, if you can't afford to pay a reasonable price in a pleasant bar you shouldn't even leave home ! These hotels are businesses trying to do their best - they are not registered charities. Come on fellow reviewers, give these hotels a fair chance - we all know sometimes things can go wrong, but does the hotel really always have to take a slating for some minor hiccup ?
As far as the Derwent Manor is concerned, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will certainly be returning to this hotel in this fabulous and enviable location. I hope this review is helpful to future travellers who I would willingly invite to contact me for any more information.

Room Tip: We requested a low-floor room and were allocated a room on the ground floor (118) - fabulous views o...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Jesse12shrews, Manager at BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Many thanks for a well balanced point of reference.
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel on many occasions over the last 3 years and in general it has been acceptable, certainly the location is hard to beat. Knowing the hotel quite well I did ring 4 days in advance to request an upstairs room at the rear of the hotel as I knew I would be tired when I arrived and wanted to maximise my chances of a quiet room.
When I checked in I was told I was in Room 101, ground floor and just off Reception. This room only has French windows which face the car park, nearest parked cars are around 3 meters away. I asked to move room but was tolds that as there were 2 coach parties in the hotel was full and there were no other roooms available. There is refurbishment work taking place at the hotel (no warning of this on the website) and some of this work was taking place in the room across from 101. Despite the rather obvious hint of a Do Not Disturb sign on my door I was treated to one of the workmen giving a prolonged perfomance of how a particular dog barked. I then approached the Manager to voice my displeasure and disappointment, when I stated that I had stayed at the hotel on many occasions his reply was that "I've never seen you before". It was repeated to me that there were no other rooms available and there was no apology for ignoring my request made several days earlier. I later returned to the Manager to show him the number of 1 to 3 night stays recorded in my Best Western account for this hotel since Jan 2010. I was then asked if I was dining in the restaurant that evening (I wasn't) and I was also told to contact him before my next visit - I am in the process of asking my Company to identify alternative hotels in the area. I also queried the price of the room, £92 a night which is significantly more that has been paid on previous occasions. I was told that this was because I had booked through Co-operative travel who took a commission as do Best Western. It is worth noting though that my key card stated that the rate was Internet B&B, a check on the BW booking site also showed a rate of £92. To charge £92 a night for Room 101 is almost unbelievable. There is a gap under the room door and the phone ringing in Reception can be clearly heard. There was no heating on in the room until 21:10hrs despite a request being made at 19:50hrs when the outside air temperature of 11C with a strong wind made the room uncomfortably cool. The heating is primarily controlled by a hotel timer and is not programmed to come on until 22:00hrs - not much use for anyone wanting a shower, sleep or to work in their room in the evening.Talking of the shower, the attached images give some indication of the standard of Room 101, the fixed shower took 7 minutes to get from cold to warm - I gave up waiting for it to get to hot. The warning sign about the towel rail being hot is quite funny - it was stone cold until the heating came on at 21:10.
The French window faces the car park, for any form of privacy once the room lights are on (there are net curtains) then the full curtains have to be drawn, it would help if they actuallly met in the middle without the assistance of a chair to keep them closed. Quite what this room is like on a hot night can only be imagined as there is no other ventilation apart from the French Windows and of course the gap under the room door.
The price charged for this grossly sub-standard room is amazing, the attitude of the Manager at our first meeting was unacceptable and from a Customer Service point of view one would have thought that he should at least be aware of someone who has stayed on approximately 19 occasions in the last 3 years. I have tried to feedback on Medallia but there appears to be a fault with the site, I will try again. Hopefully I will not have to stay at this over-priced, poorly managed hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't bother - requests ignored
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Thankyou very much, your comments have been taken on board, regrettably at the time of your stay essential maintenance was being carried out to replace all sanitary fittings within the hotel. Your useful comments will ensure other people have an enjoyable stay, Thank you.
Alford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I can not stress enough all the complaints on here are absolutely 100% true.
Well over-priced, please spend the time to look for another Hotel.
Though all complaints could be one offs, (although they all have similar content) the reason I warn well away from here is because of how the General Manager deals with them.
People have given many an example in other reviews of this, and unfortunately I have been on the end of his bad attitude.
On the dressing table in the hotel room I leant over it in my brand new dress to look in the mirror and to my horror splinters on the side went into my dress, and indeed leg and pulled some threads ruining the over all pattern of the dress. I of course complained straight away and was told to come back in the morning.
Nothing was done about the dressing table but they did agree to repair the dress.
A month on I heard nothing so enquired, and then started a long and tiresome chase up from me emailing, calling and contacting the Head Office of Best Western Hotels. The General Manager has blamed Royal Mail, who I have spoken to and have no records of them being in touch to follow my complaints up. I have proof of the lies the Hotel have told me in emails which I am keeping as evidence to follow this up, and 8 weeks later I have no dress, no replacement and no full refund, (indeed they have told me the dress was not repaired either), just a rude phone call from the General Manager prompting me to write this review.
I have experience of wedding planning and can assure you the bad managerment skills spoil what could be a lovely hotel, I really wouldn't risk giving them the huge responsibility to your perfect day as they are not up to it.
To Best Western Hotels, do not let the Management of Derwent Manor pull your reputation down.

Room Tip: Rooms more like 2*, no point in complaining as that's their idea as acceptable! That's the r...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Your comments regards management are noted, however we must point out that in all cases of dispute we have to follow the correct procedure as we are attempting to do so still with yourself. The process is slow but to the benefit of everyone.

Been to BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor? Share your experiences!