“THE place to eat steak.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Pytchley

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Haddon
The Pytchley
You added The Pytchley to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   High Street, West Haddon NN6 7AP, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 West Haddon B&B and Inns
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“THE place to eat steak.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

My father discovered the Pytchley decades ago whilst working in the Northamptonshire area as a telecoms engineer. Dad is a true carnivore and loved their steaks, mixed grills etc.
He brought us - me, my sisters and my mum, to the Pytchley many times across the years, even though it is a 45 minute drive North of his home because you simply couldn't get steaks that good or at such good value.
Dad had his retirement party at the Pytchley a number of years back and, just a few weeks ago, when he celebrated his 70th birthday, it was the place he really wanted to go for a birthday meal.
My review of that meal will inevitably be coloured by decades of memories.
The Pytchley has very convenient long opening hours allowing us to make an early start to dinner (5pm) which suited us as we knew we had a longish drive home afterwards.
The ambiance in the dining area is nothing special, to be honest. It's a neat, clean, slightly old fashioned hotel dining hall. In my experience it's nearly always busy, largely with families and large parties celebrating occasions. It's usually, therefore,buzzing with activity and noise so those seeking an upmarket or intimate meal may not find it to their taste.
The service is adequate - mostly cheerful and efficient with the occasional lapse due to the sheer number of customers they're dealing with.
The steaks, which are the speciality of the house, have always been and continue to be excellent. The 9oz sirloin I ordered was absolutely tender and could even be the best steak I've eaten there. There is a wide selection of steaks available and they are invariably cooked to exactly the degree you request.
The prices are no longer as unusually cheap as they once were but they are competitive.
One option to reduce your bill is to go for one of their two-meal deals which allow two diners to order equivalent plates at a reduced rate. Wine and pepper sauce are thrown into the deal.
My sister and I took advantage of this deal and this is where my one small niggle comes in - we were only given 1 portion of pepper sauce and, when I complained , I was told rather haughtily that the deal did not specify two portions. This was true but, as I pointed out, the deal was for two meals including wine and sauce. The natural assumption is that both diners recieve the same full meal with a full portion of sauce. They did not make us share one glass of wine......Anyway, they were adamant and I had to pay for a second portion of sauce. Not a big deal but it does seem both ungenerous and a little misleading.
Aside from that small point, we had a great meal. Most importantly, it suited my dad perfectly. I have no doubt we will return to the Pytchley, at intervals, for the foreseeable future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Some pubs are ok, some are awful and some are just big chains sticking processed food in a microwave but the Pytchley is one of the best local pubs you can visit. Food is always fantastic and I walk away stuffed like their "Pytchley Mushrooms" but somehow feeling like i've eaten healthy in way??? Perhaps because its a wholesome meal and not processed junk.

Love the place, really good time after time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Tracy D, Public Relations Manager at The Pytchley, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you Neil183 for taking the time to leave such great feedback regarding your recent visit to The Pytchley. Our aim is to provide unpretentious wholesome pub food and pride ourselves in offering home-cooked meals using fresh ingredients and top quality meats, and are very pleased to hear that this is recognised and appreciated. Please do keep coming!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind Regards

Tracy Demetri
Rugby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

if you are around you must go and try their food. absolutely gorgeous. always fresh and yummy. I recommend to try daily special. excellent service and worth every penny. I will be back many times. do not miss as you will regret it :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Tracy D, Public Relations Manager at The Pytchley, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
What lovely comments! Thanks you so much Marzena s for taking a few minutes to give your feedback. It is a real boost to everyone here after a very busy festive period to know that all the hard work is so well appreciated. I am delighted that you enjoy our daily specials - do keep coming, and will will endeavour to keep delivering!

Many thanks again

Tracy Demetri
Somerset, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Long day. Long journey. We were ready for a good meal.

The Pytchley is a hotel, pub and restaurant in a small village that is easily accessible from the M1 (Crick junction). Our booking was friendly and efficient, and that characterised the service provided.

Our room (top floor) was well furnished, ensuite, and comfortable.

But what about the meal? Excellent. Basically there is a choice of steak, or steak - but the meat was cooked excellently, and the entire meal was enjoyable.

The restaurant is large and I can imagine that at weekends, when it is full, it could be noisy and different to our mid-week, quieter, experience.

Breakfast fine.

Are going again? Definitely.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tracy D, Public Relations Manager at The Pytchley, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you for your lovely feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you found a warm and friendly welcome at The Pytchley, and that you were able to relax and enjoy a good meal after a long journey.

I am particularly pleased to hear that you enjoyed our steaks - we serve only the best matured Aberdeen Angus steaks and the quality of our British meat across the whole menu is something upon which we have built up an enviable reputation over the years. You are right to comment on the size of our restaurant, and it can indeed get very busy at weekends, but with tables available in two distinctly different dining rooms and throughout our informal bar, we would alway try to find a spot to suit your preference.

You kindly say that you would definitely come again - so we look forward to welcoming you for your next visit.

Kind regards
Tracy
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

A group of us stayed at the Pytchley in October 2013 for a friends' reunion. They have certainly got the formula right at the Pytchley: the restaurant was buzzing on Saturday night. The food was hearty, the portions large and the atmosphere great. The rooms are luxurious, breakfast is huge and the prices are very reasonable. What a great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you DavidHUk for your very generous comments. We are really pleased to hear that you had such a positive experience at The Pytchley and that you enjoyed the atmosphere here. You say that you were travelling with a group but do not say whether you were visiting friends or family in the area or whether you were on a business trip, but either way we do hope that you will revisit us should you find yourself in the area at any stage in the future.

Many thanks once again

Tracy
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Lovely rooms, well decorated and very clean. Spotless bathroom. The only thing I would say is that the bed in the "double" room was more like a 3/4 bed and the rooms are extremely hot! I expected a little more for my money but other than that really friendly staff and I would definately stay again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracy D, Public Relations Manager at The Pytchley, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Many thanks for your review. I am delighted that you found our staff to be really friendly and our rooms to be spotlessly clean. Our Housekeepers take a great deal of pride in the presentation of our rooms, and I know your feedback is greatly appreciated by our hardworking team.

With regards to the one or two details you mention, I would like to just reassure you that all double beds in our premium rooms are a minimum 4’ 6’ standard double size, but if you prefer a bit of extra comfort our executive rooms are available offering kingsize or superking size beds for a very reasonable supplement, and in any case would always be offered as a free upgrade on check-in if available.

I am very sorry to hear that your room was overly hot when you visited. You are kind enough to say that you would definitely come again - please note for future reference that all rooms have double-glazed windows which can be partially or fully opened, and that radiators are fitted with individual thermostatic controls for your personal preference.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you to The Pytchley again soon.
norfolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Pytchley was very busy ( a Sunday afternoon) staff gave a warm friendly welcome. A varied menu also catered for "Celiac" meals. We both enjoyed the sunday roast very good portions and nicely priced.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you norfolkkenmare, for your lovely comments. It sounds as if you happened by The Pytchley “by chance” and so I am particularly pleased that you found the hospitality and welcome to be as it should be. Our traditional roast is very popular, and we can get very busy on Sundays, so I am delighted that you enjoyed the experience, and do hope that we can tempt you to return soon.

Kind regards

Tracy D

Been to The Pytchley? Share your experiences!