“Naff !!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Padworth
Dereham, Norfolk
“Naff !!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Started badly when I rang to book, I was called 'mate', 'fella', 'pal' and 'sir' during the call. The guy on reception obviously had a day off when they did the receptionist training. I'm no prude and don't expect airs and graces but this treatment can't be right ?
I felt I was well overcharged at £55 for a small room, scruffy and dated with furniture from the local tip and a bed that creaked with every slight movement. Bathroom very small with worn out taps, towel rings and exposed unpainted copper piping to the shower. On a busy main road so not quiet either. Carpet was smelly and stained.
Food in the restaurant was OK (but only OK, nothing special).
The whole place is in need of a refurb and modernisation - I only stayed because I couldn't find anywhere else at short notice.
I won't be going back......

Room Tip: I would imagine you'd get a better kip in a room at the back away from the road.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SKC H, Operations Director - SKC Hotels at Comfort Hotel Reading West, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Hello Ronnie48, firstly, we are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. There are things you highlight that we have today actioned and implemented into short term training projects. This will not happen again and we are happy to apologise when we make a mistake.
The issue you raise concerning rate is also being looked into, although in todays' world of high level internet sales and "Best Available Rate", we try our best to sell competatively and with value in mind. If we do not meet customer expectations then we would again offer our sincere apologies.
Should you ever wish to revisit our hotel please do make contact with me personally and I will endeavor to meet with you and make every effort to provide you with a comfortable room, good service and a hearty meal - something that I know we are able to do. Thank you again for taking the time to comment on your customer experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here for a night whilst working in the area, the rooms are nice but in need of a little tlc and the corridors could do with a lick of paint, on the plus side the staff are very friendly and the food in the bar/restaurant was a little expensive but very nice.also stayed for breakfast which was good too.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SKC H, Operations Director @ SKC Group at Comfort Hotel Reading West, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Hello Copey9746,

Thank you for writing about your stay with us. Your comments have been discussed with the team at the hotel and they are really appreciated. Customer feedback is important and certainly one of the ways we learn.
We do have a great team here - we'll do our best to get the corridors up to the same level! We've also begun addressing the other issues you raised and we are so glad you enjoyed your breakfast. This is an area we have been focussing on over the last year so we are very pleased to read your comments . . . .
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have often stayed at this hotel when visiting family. I find the whole place very welcoming and friendly. The staff are great and always greet you with a smile before offering to help you with anything you may need. It is always tidy and clean and having stayed in many of the rooms I can say there isn't really one that I disliked. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and i definately will be because it seems like they care a lot more than these big chains who just want to take your money and then get you out as soon as they can the following day,.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SKC H, Operations Director @ SKC Group at Comfort Hotel Reading West, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Hi JohnMagee25 - thank you very much for your comments. We are only a small hotel BUT we have a big desire to make our guests feel comfortable and at ease whilst they are away from home.

We welcome people coming to the area on business, people staying over from attending many of the local wedding venues in the area and also those visiting friends and family like yourself.

Thank you for your comments about how we care. This is so important and we very much appreciate you taking the time to highlight to anyone reading this review.

We hope to welcome you back to the Comfort Hotel Reading West soon.
Munich, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Had to stay at this terrible place due to work and there was no choice !!!!

Staff are quite rude and irresponsible , Hotel Manager Kim is a good example of an non-qualified Hotel Manager ; Rude & impolite , i found bugs in my bed and asked them to change my room , they didn't and said nothing cant do about it and the worse thing was the who manger told me i can leave property !!! ... Couldn't sleep whole night because of bugs issue and finally left the property early morning and was charged full room . Manager Kim is the worst thing at property

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sadly there seem to be many, many inaccuracies contained within this review. Firstly this guest stayed with us in February 2013 and not August 2012. Our General Manager never spoke to this gentleman at any time during his stay with us so we do not understand how she could have been so rude or unprofessional towards him.

He was indeed moved twice because we feel that he simply did not like either of the rooms we offered to him and we believe he had absolutely no liking for our hotel. He was never asked to leave the premises, however we did receive a call saying he wanted to check out as there was an allegation of bed bugs. We immediately called in an accredited pest control company who arrived within the hour. All rooms this guest had stayed in were thoroughly checked and we have a report clearly stating that there are no bed bugs in this hotel.

When we tried to discuss this fact with the guest he was not willing to listen.

A refund was given for the two nights he stayed. We called the gentleman’s superiors to explain everything and tell them that we had a full report exonerating us – and to advise that because he was covered in marks, we believed that he should be checked by his doctor. We were concerned that whatever was affecting him could be something serious.

This review differs dramatically from our own investigation at the highest possible level and we are very saddened to see such comments. We believe The Comfort Hotel Reading West to be a small and friendly hotel offering value for money accommodation and good food. We are disappointed to receive such a harsh and inaccurate appraisal and we urge any customer who is unhappy to ask to speak to our General Manager immediately. We will do our best to help in any way we can.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is the first time I have stayed at the Comfort Hotel and the last. Even for a budget hotel it is not worth the money.

1. The TV in my room made a high pitched whistling noise whenever it was on.
2. There was no hot water in the evening and in the morning when it was hot the basic two tap mixer for the shower made it almost impossible to get a comfortable temperature that remained consistent.
3. I had the pleasure of sharing my shower/bath with hairs from the previous occupant.
4. The toilet seat was so worn that the white coating had worn through.

I can't comment on the quality of the food in the hotel but based on my experience I'm pretty glad I didn't. Maybe I was just unlucky to get such a bad room but I will not return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello Craig D,

We are genuinely concerned to read your comments. At the time of writing we have already begun to make our investigations into this review.

Naturally, we want to offer our apologies to you for not enjoying your stay with us. Each point you raise will be thoroughly looked into as we would prefer our guests to have a better stay with us.

Customer opinion is very important to us so our thanks to you for taking the time to post your comments. Once again, our apologies to you. We will be investigating . . . .
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here due to work. Could not be more happier with the staff or cleanliness of the hotel. Food was good quality and and the var and restaurant area was cosy!
A good night's sleep with not too far to travel to work the next day. I would be more than happy to stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

My colleague and I were an hour early to an appointment so because I had stayed here before we popped in for coffee.
Customer service just the same - friendly and helpful.
Love this hotel and will definitely come and stay again.
Nice coffee!

• Stayed February 2013
SKC H, Director of Sales at Comfort Hotel Reading West, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a great review. First of all, I must agree with you about the coffee. The one thing I have to do before anything else when I visit Kim and the team is have a cup (or two).

We try to make our hotel a comfortable home from home when people visit us. We want to be known for being friendly and good at what we do for a fair price. Everyone is welcome either as an overnight guest, a coffee lover or perhaps to attend one of our many functions or theme nights.

Once again, a great review and much appreciated.

Been to Comfort Hotel Reading West? Share your experiences!