“Really enjoyed our visit” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 5 Restaurants in Flaxton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Purpose built restaurant situated on the side of the A64 Leeds to Scarborough road between York and Malton. Large cark parking facilities and disabled access.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Really enjoyed our visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I called in here on a wet Wednesay morning en route to Whitby. I had American pancakes from the breakfast menu and my husband had a burger, coleslaw and fries. I think we must have visited a different place to other reviewers as the food was hot, fresh and absolutely delicious. It arrived after no more than a ten minute wait. We were given two refills of coffee each (no suggestion, as other reviewers have claimed, of only one refill) and the waiter was friendly and attentive. My husband, who is VERY difficult to please where restaurants are concerned, claimed that this was the best burger he'd ever had in England! I'm so glad we didn't read trip advisor reviews in advance because if we had we almost certainly wouldn't have called in. We will definitely stop here again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

York, United Kingdom
“Drive on by....terrible food!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My partner and I decided to stop for a meal on our way home after a visit to York. Normally we would choose a restaurant in York city centre (there are some excellent choices) but the centre was busy due to the influx of visitors to the St Nicholas Fayre. I remember this location as being a Little Chef for many years and was hoping for something better. This was not to be the case however.
On entering we were quickly shown to a table (there was only one other table with diners) and then left to peruse the menu, this didn't take long as the choice was fairly limited. No member of staff came to enquire if we would like to order drinks, which we would have expected. A waitress did approach us and ask if we were ready to order and then enquired if we had already ordered drinks. As stated previously there was only one other table occupied so it cannot be the case that the staff were really busy and had not the time to take a drinks order.
Actually, upon reflection, the staff were busy....busy talking to each other.
I ordered a cheeseburger, which the menu informed me was accompanied by onion rings, fries and a salad. My partner ordered 'Surf & Turf', a steak, salad, fries and a skewer of prawns with a garlic and lemon dressing.
The meals duly arrived and my partner searched for her steak, which was to be found under a mountain of fries. Vying for a place on the plate were a couple of limp lettuce leaves, two slices of pale tomato, a piece of cucumber and a slice of red onion. There was no dressing and the salad was distinguished by having no flavour whatsoever. The meal should have been accompanied with a magnifying glass to help find the steak, which, when finally located (being polite) was miniscule, tough and tasteless. The skewer of prawns (4 in total) shared the same qualities as the steak and there was no evidence of a garlic and lemon dressing.
My cheeseburger can best be described as 'average'. In the bun there were also a couple of tomato slices and the house speciality, the limp lettuce leaves. There was also what tasted like Heinz salad cream, a taste inflicted upon me by mother when I was a child and one I was hoping to never experience again.
I notice, on reading an earlier review, that the owner responded by stating that problems should have been pointed out to the waitress when she "table checked". This misses the point in that if food is served as I've described above, then presumably it was checked as being up to standard before it left the kitchen. The problem here is a low standard which is deemed to be acceptable and returning the food to kitchen would achieve very little.
The kitchen is lacking in having a chef who is passionate about food and this really shows.
It may be argued that I am expecting too much from a roadside diner but this is not the case.
let me provide a couple of examples that would quickly make a difference.
Instead of buying in bags of frozen chips it would probably be more economical (and certainly more appealing) to buy in the potatoes and carry out the whole process 'in house'.
A simple lemon, balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing would put some life and taste into a salad and takes very little time to put together.
Not everyone loves huge portions of fries, to see so many on a plate is a sure indication of cost cutting on the main ingredient and indicates a mindset of "It must be good if there's a lot of it"...a case of substance over style.
One of our favourite restaurants in York is Rustique (voted No2 in York on Tripadvisor). Their two course set menu would have cost us £25.90 in total. The cost of the one course each that we review here cost £24.05 in total.
Unless this diner radically improves I feel sure that within twelve months the site will return to being an empty lot once more.
One final point: This diner has two separate listings, showing different reviews, one is listed under York and the other for Flaxton. I have placed this review on the other site as well as this one.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
York
“Decent food, much better than the old Little Chef”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Well worth a visit.
I had the full english vegetarian breakfast with pancakes, my partner had a more modest stack of pancakes and maple syrup. Both breakfasts were good and there were certainly no problems with portion sizes and the free top ups of coffee were a nice touch as well. Don't expect gourmet quality but certainly worth a visit for a good sized breakfast on your way to the coast.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not the best place to eat on the A64!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Uncle Joe's is not a diner in the sense of the American diner.
It is pokey and the "food" leaves one feeling hungry.
There are decent places to eat along the A64, from Thompson's fish and chip parlour to steak house.
Give them all a try.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
arthur p, Owner at Uncle Joe's Roadhouse and Grill, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Hi thank you for your response, although it has caused some confusion, as we were closed from the 8th -12th of October for improvements? We value customer feedback and appreciate we dont always get it right, however we do listen and have just re-opened with a brand new menu and a new attitude, haing addressed some staffing issues, among other things. We would like to welcome you back when you are next in the area, to try our new menu and tell us what you think.
YORKSHIRE
“The worst meal we have ever tasted !! Avoid even if free !!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We visited Uncle Joes Diner and after reading the other reviews I was shocked at how bad it actually was. I can only give you my honest opinion and as a family we are not fussy however this really was terrible. We had purchased a deal through Groupon which to be honest was the only reason we visited, it is not somewhere which would have otherwise sprung to mind being on a main road normally used when on route to or from the coast. We didnt expect much due to the price we had paid however it wasn't even worth the cost of the ink to have printed my voucher.
We sat at a table with menus which had bits of ketchup and other food stuck to them and the vinyl "wipe clean" table cloths appeared to have missed their wipe for some time !
We ordered drinks and my son's lemonade arrived complete with a few pieces of chives or something similar left in the glass from a previous user.
We ordered a sharing platter for starter and everything on the plate was cold and the garlic mushrooms were full of watery mush not cripsy at all. The ribs bore no resemblance to any meat just appeared to be a large lump of fatty gristle smeared with a tepid bbq sauce and the potato skins were not cooked properly the potato was still hard and the cheese had not melted due to them being cold.
We sent the whole platter back and to be fair they agreed to knock this off the bill.
The pizzas my husband and son ordered for main course arrived and although they both enjoy a thin crust these were so thin you could actually see the plate through them, this meant that they couldn't pick up the slices so they attempted to eat them with the knives and forks (which again could have done with another wash) , all the topping ended up in a big mush in the middle of the plate and they both ended up leaving most of it.
I ordered a chicken and mushroom pasta dish which was hot ( due to previous issue with starter I presume) however it was completely tasteless apart form a soil taste whcih was presumably from the mushrooms !
The whole experience was dreadful I would not return even if it was free, the only part of the meal which was enjoyable were the drumstick lollies they gave the kids on the way out which kept them going until we got to the chinese takeaway as we were all starving by this point.

This is definately the worst meal we have ever had - avoid if you can even if you get a good deal !!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
arthur p, Owner at Uncle Joe's Roadhouse and Grill, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Hi, sorry to hear such a bad expieriance you had, thank you for taking time to write a review and hope you have enjoyed your chinese :)