“Home from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harts Head Inn

You added Harts Head Inn to your Saves list
Harts Head Inn
Belle Hill, Giggleswick, Yorkshire Dales National Park, Settle BD24 0BA, England   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Giggleswick B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Home from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

As a businessman who stays all around the UK, I stay in many B&Bs, hotels etc. The Harts Head is one of the best I have stayed in. The staff are friendly and welcoming and the food is great; a wide choice, good quality, good sized portions, and reasonably priced. I have stayed on 4 occasions, and now talk to the regulars in the bar area like old friends. There is always a wide choice of local real ales, and from their taste it is obvious the cellar and beer is well looked after. The rooms are spacious and clean, and the great breakfast sets you up for the day. The whole atmosphere is friendly, warm and welcoming. I am looking forward to more business in the area so I can once again stop at this fantastic inn.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Barbara R, Owner at Harts Head Inn, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Many thanks, we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Cornwall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

As I was travelling from back from Aberdeen to Cornwall I booked this B&B recently as a stop off to see a friend who lives local. Staff were friendly and welcoming and the single room I was allocated was adequate for my needs. Good selection of beers, real ales and lagers and was literally spoiled for choice from the menu. (I can recommend the steak and ale pie washed down with a real ale from a local brewery). Met my friend later for a drink and it just happened to be quiz night which was absolutely packed. We did not win anything but had a good time. Will definitely do this again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Barbara R, Owner at Harts Head Inn, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write these nice words. We hope to see you again where you might have better luck with the quiz!
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed here whilst visiting family in the area. Arrived to a bustling bar but were still dealt with quickly and efficiently with our bags taken to our room by the helpful young man.
Whilst we had planned on using the hotel purely as a place to lay down our head the hospitality was second to non and we did find ourselves enjoying the great food and drink on offer - just can't resist an open fire!
The room had a great ensuite with a shower that I spent far too long under.
We will certainly stay again, great place, great value, great hospitality - who could ask for more!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Barbara R, Owner at Harts Head Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thanks for the kind words, we hope to see you again soon!
Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My better half booked this B & B as part of our trip up into Scotland. It acted as a stopover en-route towards Glasgow and I have to say I was very disappointed.

She had been raving about it before and had stayed years ago so I was expecting quite a bit. Sadly, I have to say it was a let down in all honesty.

The whole place looks tired, tatty and in dire need of some TLC. The steps out the back for guests to use when the pub is closed, for example, are covered in fat emanating out of the kitchen window leaving fat for guests to negotiate.....not good.

The rooms are tatty too. Our room which happened again to be the family room (just two of us) should have been of a high standard but turned out to be something from the 1970's. It just didn't feel like I expected. It was tired, worn out and not what you expect for £120 pn.

Onto the food, we were seated by the charming bar girl who took our order. When our food came it was nothing more than OK. I had steak which again, was just ok. When I ordered my meal I naturally requested the peppercorn sauce off the menu.

Unfortunately, this was forgotten when my food was delivered. When I checked upon its whereabouts, I was told chef had not made it and he subsequently had run out of black peppercorns so I could have another version. This wasn't a problem, except it took an extra 15 mins or so so I had to have my food kept warm whilst my wife continued to eat hers.

Pudding was a toffee ice cream thing which was poor and if it was handmade as described, I'd be very surprised. The wife had scampi and chips which she claimed was average. She informed me it was less enjoyable because she was eating whilst I was twiddling my thumbs awaiting the arrival of mine.

Onto breakfast, we were seated but had to wait at least 10 minutes to place our drinks order and then our breakfast came before we'd even had a drink. I was waiting for my cup of tea and the jug of orange juice had been empty for some time and never refilled.

The food again, was OK. But the service was a let down. If it was rammed with people I could maybe understand with just one person serving, but it wasn't.

Thankfully we stayed just the one night and comparing it to our stay at The Old Priory in Kelso the following week (similar price), the contrast was about as stark as you can imagine. The following evening we 'slummed' it in a Premier Inn in Glasgow and I have to say, that cost me £29 compared with £120 at the Harts Head - Premier Inn was miles better. Which is a sad thing to say really, I feel.

All in all, it was very disappointing. The standard has clearly been allowed to slip in all ways, accommodation, service and quality of food.

Such a shame we won't be staying here again unless things improve dramatically.

Room Tip: Not sure how I can answer this, maybe try somewhere with better reviews.
Barbara R, Owner at Harts Head Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Having read your review, I can’t help agreeing that we let you both down a bit on your stay. Thank you for pointing out some things you didn’t enjoy during your stay as we will be making steps to ensure these mistakes will be less frequent in the future.
The criticisms of the fire escape are fair and justified and thank you for bringing this to my attention. I apologise for the inconvenience this caused you during your stay and as a result I have changed my policy and guests will now only use this as an emergency and use the front door instead.
It was a real shame that your steak didn’t arrive with the sauce you ordered and that is falling short of the standards we aim to set. We’d like to feel that you would have enjoyed your meal significantly more had this been delivered on time as we get many compliments on our food from customers who return time and time again, I understand this will be of little comfort to you.
We welcome your points about service and are delighted you found the bar girl charming. Service is something we believe we do very well here and have talked to the member of staff in question who we believe served your breakfasts and apologise for the inconvenience this caused you.
I agree that the family room is dated and is next on our refurbishments schedule. Unfortunately this was not completed before your arrival, as you can imagine all work of this nature takes time and money.
Just a word about pricing, however, that I would like to point out to other people reading the review was that the £120 mentioned in this review was not just for B&B but also for a 3 course dinner for two people.
We are delighted that your wife enjoyed your stay previously and would be thrilled if you chose to come back to stay so that we can put right some of the mistakes that occurred during your stay.
Barbara Reynolds
north yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We booked into this hotel on the recommendation of friends but were greatly dissapointed.
The staff are friendly and welcoming, but there was nothing welcoming about the cluttered rooms of the hotel. On leaving the bar heading for our room one immediately notices the chips in the paintwork and the wallpaper/plaster off around the window halfway up the stairs, on opening a door onto a dark and dingy landing it gets worse, the smell is appalling, a mixture of smoke, sweat and stale cooking.
We were shown to our room which I have to say had a really comfortable bed, clean sheets and towels although the quilt cover didn't fit very well and all the poppers were broken, this room also smelt of stale smoke, which didnt get any better after having the windows open all the time we were there, which wasn't very practicle on a main road. The bathroom was clean and adequate if a litle small.
The carpets throughout the whole place could have done with a damn good cleaning, I think these are what are holding the smells.
We were shown the fire escape which one could use if the premises were closed, we decided to use these as a quicker route to our car only to find that the steps were quite rotten, one had dog excrement on it and at the side of them was the fan from the kitchen spewing out thick black grease, all together not a very pleasant sight.
We had an evening meal at the hotel but it was nothing very exciting mostly frozen/packet type food but reasonably priced.
Neither of us slept very well with the noise of people coming and going till the early hours.
This is definately an ale house and obviously does very well on it with awards round the pub from CAMRA along with all the other clutter.
Seeing the landlady Barbara feel the seat of a chair she took into the other bar didnt inspire a lot of confidence in the cleanliness of the place either.
The breakfast was a buffet type affair with a good selection of cereals and fresh fruit, followed by a full english cooked breakfast which was very nice and went down well if you didnt let your eyes stray onto the filth around the chair and table legs, again the dining room was in need of a complete refurb, the paint was all chipped, the chairs odd, the tables rocked and had additions on to stabalise them, its such a shame, this place is probably a gold mine but could do so much better, perhaps closing it for a month in winter and giving it a good scrub and a lick of paint would do the trick, and or new carpets, but something needs to be done, we certainly wouldnt consider going back until it is.
I wonder if they've ever watched the Hotel Inspector, would do them good!!!!!

Room Tip: We wouldn't recommend until it had a thorough clean/refurbishment.
Barbara R, Owner at Harts Head Inn, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
I am sorry you felt disappointed in your stay. We take all comments very seriously and have examined each point you have made in your review.

However, we are mystified that you found that the hallway/landing to have smelled of ‘stale cooking’ and ‘sweat’ and can assure other readers of this review that we have had no other complaints regarding this issue. Similarly, to describe the dining room environment using the word ‘filth’ is very, very disappointing and, in my opinion, completely unfair. The Tourist Board have awarded us a 4 Diamond rating overall for the Inn, and on the last inspection in 2012 we received a 4/5 rating for cleanliness.

Regarding the food, we are pleased you enjoyed your breakfast. We are disappointed you didn’t enjoy your evening meal however let me assure you that we have guests who return time and time again to enjoy our food (in fact, one particular guest who stayed from Morpeth recently described our chef as a ‘magician’!).

I am a sole trader operating in a recession and all refurbishment takes time and money. Whilst I agree some of the furniture is not 5-Star standard, we are about to undertake major refurbishments in the bar area, upstairs corridor and rooms. Unfortunately this wasn’t completed before your stay and for this we apologise. However, most of our guests agree that our excellent customer service (as you have highlighted in your review) more than makes up for some minor paint damage.

To others reading this review, some comments in our visitors’ book from this current month of August had a different opinion on their respected stays. Peter Newton commented “Returned again. Lovely people and great food”, Mr and Mrs C Hall said “as usual a wonderful break thanks” and Fred and Sue Hoad stated “Brilliant!! Absolutely brilliant”.

Thank you for visiting us and whilst we are upset that you didn’t enjoy your stay, we are pleased that your friend who recommended us did and would urge others to come and visit and make their own minds up.

Barbara Reynolds
Doncaster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We were staying at "Mainsfield" just around the corner and came here again for an evening meal, in the bar, excellent choice of beer and a very good menu; the service was good and efficient and the food nearly excellent, I had "surf and turf", my wife the salmon with a deliciously rich sauce, we had no room this time to sample the previously tasted sweet courses on offer (I wish!) but we left feeling well satisfied with the quality and price and thoroughly recommend the Harts Head restaurant

Barbara R, Owner at Harts Head Inn, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
We are delighted you enjoyed your meals and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the area!
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

The room had a great ensuite with a shower that I spent far too long under.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Harts Head Inn? Share your experiences!