“Great Dinner , Bed and Breakfast Inn” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Olde Windmill Inn to your Saves list
The Olde Windmill Inn
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   Water End, Great Cressingham IP25 6NN, England   |
Essex
“Great Dinner , Bed and Breakfast Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I was part of an 8 man shooting party who stayed at the Inn last week. The rooms are very comfortable and very secure. The bar was busy for a Thursday night but there were plenty of staff on hand. We had dinner in the restaurant which was great, a huge choice and everyone's food was first class. We all had a very good nights sleep and the breakfast was to die for. We shall certainly be returning, will have to bring my wife for a night to show her how good it was as well.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Worcester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Had a one night stay here and would use again as and when in the area. Excellent room, plenty of space, spotlessly clean and as new 'fluffy' towels. Lovely old pub atmosphere to enjoy also with a superb selection to cater for all tastes. Didn't try the bar menu but breakfast was more than ample to start your day. Staff all very helpful and we were made most welcome.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights, to do site seeing round Norfolk.
Entered bar around 4pm and were immediately seen to and shown to our room. Rooms are in new extension out the back of the pub, the extension is very well built and blends in good with the old pub. We had room 8 on the upper floor, which can be reached from the bar under cover all the way. We were pleasantly surprised with the size and quality of the room, plenty of room for cases and clothes etc, sitting chairs and table, also a desk for working on with ample sockets for charging etc. Inn had free WiFi easily connected to and working all the time we went to get access. The pub is very isolated which suited us, but was busy enough at nights. We decided to eat in and have a few drinks, selection of Real Ales satisfying my needs well. The food was ample and tasty from a huge selection menu (doesn't need to be so extensive), all served to our chosen table without any fuss. We like to be up and out early so we never bother with breakfast so cannot comment. The location is good for visiting all Norfolk, we went to different area every day, getting back to Inn early evening. Norfolk itself and particular the Broads were a little disappointing scenic wise, its far too flat for my liking, and the Broads are like a tunnel of reeds that you cannot see over, maybe thats just me, as I prefer hills, valleys and lakes.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
South Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay in Norfolk for an extra night having just completed a 3 night stay at an expensive hotel some miles away.

The welcome, service and overall feeling of 'glad you are here' at the Windmill far exceeded the experience at our previous very expensive hotel.

Our room was clean, large and very warm. The evening meal was excellent - and good veggie options for my wife. The breakfast was also ideal.

This is a good find and we know we will come back here next time we are in the area rather than spend over three times as much money at an unwelcoming 5* hotel about 30 miles away!

• Stayed September 2013
Mijas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was walking the Peddars Way and the first day was more than I would have liked, so I was very glad to see the Olde Windmill where I had pre-booked. After a pint of their own Windy Miller I found my way to the room in a new block behind and connected to the inn. They offered to show me the room but I was confident of finding my own way.The room far surpassed my expectations. Well appointed, comfortable bed and a bath to luxuriate in.
I also ate in the restaurant. Portions are quite big and the food rates as good pub grub rather than fancy gastro-pub. Service on check-out was good natured.
I rate this inn as a great find and would not hesitate in recommending others to stay there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I visited the windmill on a Monday, and was greeted by a friendly staff member who conducted me to a beautifully appointed room which I could not fault.
However, my evening meal was at best average, the dessert crumble having suffered from the effects of the microwave, but the major problem was having to fight of the flies during the meal which according to a regular guest, appeared to be a recurrent problem. One local guy spayed his area of the bar at regular intervals.

Room Tip: Take your own fly repellent
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Just had a meal in the Windmill. Suggest you check if the flies are out before you go in. Our experience was ruined because of all the flies and that was in the bar area around 5hr30 this evening. When I brought this to the attention of the bar staff all they could say was "yes we know about them. We have sprayed the eating areas" and that was it. The food was not great either. so beware, especially if you are taking guests or family for an eating experience. With the prices they charge he customer should get a better deal.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Olde Windmill Inn? Share your experiences!