“Mont Vernon not a hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mont Vernon

You added Hotel Mont Vernon to your Saves list
Hotel Mont Vernon
Baie Orientale, Mont Vernon | BP 1174, Cul de Sac 97150, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cul de Sac
nj
“Mont Vernon not a hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

Mont Vernon Is not a hotel.It is all privately owned Condos
When someone rents here they are renting from the owners
I have bought one of the studios and live here about 8 months out of the year.
Alot of the owners live in France and rent the units out
If you are lookng for a cheap place to stay mont vernon is good for that
I love the view and being on orient beach we redid our unit and but in a stove and a larger refridgerator.
Most of the pople here are renters who work here on the island.
There are no hotel servicesand you mostly have to take care of your own food unless you go out ..
This is a cheap place to stay and save money for other activities.
The association is working on cleaning up the property and painting but it is one of the largest complexes on the French side (400) units
i live here and love it but if you want ammenities you should look elesewhere

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

Not one for much complaining but there are no words to describe our disappoinment at staying at Mont Vernon. There are no amenities at all here (no central management, front desk, concierge, etc.) - you are totally on your own when staying here. YOu have to clean your own unit; take your own trash out to the dumping grounds at the main building. Heaven forbid you don't speak French - then you are lost even more so. The grounds, landscaping, and pool area are in terrible disrepair. You have the pool, which is nice, but the deck is full of loose and withered boards. The bathrooms are boarded up. The large bar/buffet area totally deserted with loose tiles. It looks like shambles. Will the rooms themselves might have been updated, you are still in a hotel-lie room and not really a condo/apartment/suite. It is building upon building of condos/apts. all indivudally owned with no uniformity in policy, rules, etc. You have people with all sorts of things out on the balconies. It is a total disarry! The grounds are overgrown. People walk their dogs and don't pick up after them. Loose garbage and trash abound. An unbelievable walk up/down steep hills to get to a dirt parking lot where cars just park wherever they want. No order anywhere since there is no central management and it's a "free for all". Most units are used as condos/apts for full time residents that are renting from absentee owners. Probably the worst place I've ever stayed. Renter Beware!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

This was my 3rd trip to St Martin. First two trips I stayed on the Dutch side. The Hotel Mont Vernon is obviously an older hotel/resort. The grounds themself are quite tired. Pool itself is great, pool deck, surrounding areas are really in poor repair, in fact, are flat out terrbile. Trust me, I am not one to complain, however, I won't gloss it over.

Our room had a TV with just one channel, so check with the owner of the unit you will rent to know if there are any TV channels. Not that TV is important, but, at the end of the day it is nice to have something to entertain you when you are sitting around waiting to go to bed.

The location is nice enough. It is at the far end of Orient Beach, away from the nudist area. I would guess it is nearly a mile walk to that area. The hotel is high on a hill so if walking up the hill is a problem, then don't stay here. The view from our unit could not be beat.

Parking is very iffy, as in some nights there were no spots for us to park. We had to drive down the street off the property. The parking is on a really steep hilly area. You will definitely need to be in some shape to walk this hill. There is a small internet cafe on site, opened only at night. A small pizza place, GREAT pizza, again, open on at night. And there is a small shop there for water, beer, etc. Open two time periods a day. As to restaurants to eat at, there are two French restaurants sort of near by. Most people would want to drive to them. If you wish to go to a store and buy food to eat in your unit, then this would make this place a better place.

In my opinion, I would NOT stay here again. If I wanted to be in the Orient area I would stay down in the Orient area and not on this hillside. The owners of my unit met me at the airport and the unit was all that was described. Just remember, you are on a hill, as in walking down a steep side to the parking area, and a steep side to the pool or beach area. This is NOT for an older crowd, or anyone with walking impairments.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

My husband and I stayed in room 4116 in the Saba building. The unit is individually owned by two brothers who have renovated within the past two years. They also own the Bistro Caribes Restaurant in Grand Case. Although modest, the condo is comfortable and clean. The full kitchen is nice and includes a clothes washer (no dryer). You will want to bring some food in your suitcase as the prices on St. Martin are very expensive. We brought cereal, etc. and enjoyed breakfast every a.m. in the unit. The property units are now privately owned, therefore, no central check-in or bar services at the pool. Took a little getting used to staying in an apartment in a condo complex and not a resort , but once we did, we appreciated the excellent value.
The property is on the northern end of Orient Beach- about a half mile walk to Bikini Beach (where the action is!) where you can rent chairs, watersports, etc. Beware of the restaurants that take Euro and the dollar interchangeably- especially The Pirate Beach Bar & Grill who tried to break fifty euro by returning US dollars in change. Most places try to do the same thing. You really don't even need Euro at all seem to accept US dollars. You will want to rent a car- we were able to do so for about $150 for 6 days. Avoid the national chains as there are several local car rentals on the island.
Overall, we would rent here again as it is a great bargain for the beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this resort back in 2000. It was our honeymoon spot and as our first vacation spot in the south we were "okay" with the resort. What we don't understand is why this resort has so many problems with ownership and management. I have been reading a lot of reviews over the last few years because we have talked about going back for our 10th anniversary. We absolutely loved St. Martin, but must agree with other viewers, that the resort itself needs updating. There may be some land issues as it is very hilly and is lacking space. We have since then visited other southern spots and have found that Mont-Vernon would probably sit between a 2-3 star in comparison. We would love for someone to take over this property and re-do the resort since it is on a beautiful beach and has such great surroundings to offer.

• Liked — The scenery and beach
  • Disliked — The resort needs major updating
  • Stayed July 2004, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

I am only writing this review as I saw this property is advertising on a last minute web page. I have been to St. Maarten twice. I traveled this time with two girlfriends..we are in our 40s. I can only say that the majority of the staff were very rude and condescending. This may be because the hotel had been going through some changes and had closed for a period of time. I have never been treated so shabbily as did on that vacation! We all got sick....food was left out to long. We tried to spend as much time as we could off of the resort as possible. There were no snorkels, etc. The rooms had bugs. There were many rooms that were rented out as condos, so safety was always a concern. I just wanted to caution people before they book this hotel....it might be a deal...but because of the constant change in management, and the constant closing and reopening of this hotel. I would be very hesitant to book this hotel (cheap or otherwise). St maarten/st martin) is one of the most fabulous island.....enjoy! Loads to see and do, and the beaches and views are amazing. Just not fabulous or amazing when at this hotel!!!

Stayed April 2006

Been to Hotel Mont Vernon? Share your experiences!