“You must come here.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in San Alfonso
Elora, Ontario, Canada
“You must come here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I recently went here for an overnight stay. I was hoping to stay in a cabin but the only available room was the high end lodge. For around $200, it included a walk to the falls, complimentary pisco sours, a fantastic breakfast, access to the pool and a unique individual lodge experience. It was one of the greatest nights of my life! We ate wonderful Chilean food at the Tribu restaurant. I recommend the pastel de choclo and leche asada. The 3 hour hike to the Meseta was worth the tough climb. Couples and parents with older must come here. There is also rafting and a zip line that is quite the rush. I'll be back here again soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This place offers lots of different activities such as horse riding, rafting and trekking in a breathtaking scenery next to the andes mountains and the Maipo River.

Also worth to mention is the restaurant located in the middle of the park, which in terms of ambiance I just can't think of any better place. Having a glass of a good wine and tasting some typical Chilean food at this paradise is just priceless, and speaking of that I found the prices to be very reasonable.

Prepare your energy, and enjoy this amazing experince,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The lodge we stayed in was beautiful and comfortable. Artistic interiors and wonderful scenery.
This is wonderful place to enjoy activities and scenery. We did a hiking trip to San Fransisco Glacier, full day horse trek on mountains and whitewater rafting. All were memorable experiences.

Room Tip: Stayed in lodge 10. Beautiful interiors and wonderful views to surrounding mountains, but I would gu...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We were there in an off-peak time (temporada baja, May) and really liked it. Stayed in the EL MAITEN cabana - small but clean and comfortable. We bought a package for 300 US Dollar including two nights , breakfast, rafting, a great dinner a la carte, a beautiful sauna, tirolesa, and a hike. Value for money and a great expreience. A "but" - the place is really badly lit in the night so bring on a torch. The other small but was that staff - even though friendly - had no clue about the package we had purchases - so we had to discuss all the time. However, in the end there was no problem and people were friendly. And before I forget it - they should clean the clothes better they give you for rafting!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ephrata, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

First and foremost, I would have gave them an "excellent" rating, but the restaurant and info center need to learn some lessons. Here is my honest an unbiased review of Cascada de las Animas.

The good: The sanctuary is beautiful beyond a doubt! The waterfall/cascada is very precious! The lodges are built very well and awesome! I really loved the bed and bathroom. The shower was wonderful, just be careful you don't spend too much time in it as the hot water will disappear after, say 15 minutes. The lodge staff were very nice and helpful. Last, but not least the breakfast was delicious: eggs, homemade breads, juices, kuchen, fruits, palta, and half decent brewed coffee. I would definitely suggest the lodge for its uniqueness and comfort.

The bad: The staff at the information center were not very friendly. Not what I would expect from a place were customer service is a must needed quality. I entered the center and was not greeted at all. I had to be the one to say hello first and that was after I was inside for more than 30 seconds. Not to mention when I asked to buy a water, they did not react to fast to attending to me. What happened to the customer comes first?

The ugly: The restaurant needs to keep the dogs and cats out of the restaurant areas. Inside we had to tell one cat to "beat it" more than once. The waitress knew it, but did not remove the cat. Also there was a dog inside the restaurant sleeping on the sofa available to customers. I love dogs, but in a restaurant, not. Even outside on the patio a dog was begging for food at the tables, not to mention stealing food at the waitress area.

I could have given a worse rating, but I kept in mind the "good". Hopefully something is learned from this review.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

First, we were very happy with our accommodations in the lodge suites area. The people were very friendly and helpful - especially Jaime, Maria and Fillippe. Breakfast is provided in a common unit for the lodge guests and we found this to be delicious. The suite itself was really neat with a circular skylight in the middle where you could see the stars at night. We loved the zip line and the horse back ride was fantastic - the best we have ever been on. We have riden in the Colorado and Canadian Rockies - but nothing compared with this. We felt completely safe and our guide was excellent.
However, a few caveats. First not many people speak English - especially in the Activities cabin. The guided hike to Cascada de las Animas was all in Spanish - so except for the helpful translation from a few hikers with us - we had no idea what was going on. Perhaps a pamphlet printed in English with the information presented by the guide would have been a good idea. Also, when we went to check out - there was an error in our bill. They tried to charge us for VAT - since we are US citizens paying with a US credit card - this should not have occurred. The people working the desk at this time had very limited English. It took at least 15 minutes to convince them to take the charge off of the bill. Then they could not seem to get our charge card to work - I gave them 3 different cards. We kept asking if there was perhaps a problem with their machine. Finally another worker was brought in who was able to get our first card to go through with no problem. By the time we were done, we had spent 30 minutes just trying to check out. This was very frustrating as we were leaving to catch a flight at the airport. My advice would be to make sure they are not charging you the VAT ahead of time ( we did mention it when we checked in and were assured it would be removed - it wasn't). Double-check that it has been removed and perhaps try to pay your bill ahead of check out - especially if you have a plane to catch!
Besides this unfortunate end to our trip, we would return. It is a beautiful property. Also, bring a small flashlight...it is very dark at night.

Room Tip: Stay in a Lodge Suite. I think we had number 3. Great view of Cascada de las Animas from our windo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This is our third visit to Cascadas las Animas.
Rafting: very nice option and probably the best activity the park has. It’s about an hour and a half ride. Don’t go into the water, it is very cold, and you will have a high chance of catching a cold. From a scale from 1 to 10 I give it a 5. The best rafting I have been to is in Honduras. Costa Rica and Brazil also have good rides.
Horse Ridding: it is a 2 and a half hour trip. It’s very challenging, for the horse, because you have to ascend and descend on the steep cliffs. The views are amazing and I definitely recommend it. It might not be suitable for people who are afraid of heights when you are coming back down.
Trekking: it is good option to exercise for a couple of hours maybe after having lunch. The sights and the cascade are not worth the walk.
Canopy: Its been close ever since they announce they were building it. They should take it out of the propaganda until it is ready to be used.
Swimming Pool: only for summer because it is very cold.
The food is delicious and at a good price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Cascada de las Animas? Share your experiences!