“A fine find” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Norfolk, UK
“A fine find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Found this on trip advisor just down the road from where we live. Went there for lunch and had an excellent chicken, bacon and mushroom pie and a goats cheese omlette. Both were really excellent, the best meals we've had in a long time. We continued to savour the tastes long into the afternoon. Will be back to taste other delights off the menu in the near future. Surroundings are good and the food superb. Wood burner looks like it will be cosy in the winter. Definitely a fine find.

London, United Kingdom
“When it's good it's very very good..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stopped to purchase some takeaway items on Saturday middday.There was a tempting selection of treats on offer so opted for the chicken and bacon pie, venison and sloe gin, steak and kidney and steak and potato. To follow opted for the traditional bakewell, chocolate orange, raspberry white choc tarts and a slice of lemon cake. The service seemed a bit hit and miss, the girl who served us was inexperienced I think, and perhaps needs more training. We had purchased the food for a picnic but I had to ask if having the pies warm was an option as we weren't offered. As it was a bit late to warm (it takes 5 mins) I took them with me cold to heat at home later (i don't like cold pie!) She also was not familiar with prices or flavours on offer or how to work the card machine, luckily a more experienced member of staff was on hand to help.
As soon as we got to destination we decided to eat the sweet things for the picnic instead and started with the traditional bakewell. It was very disappointing and tasted a bit stale the same was the case with the lemon cake.But then we each had a bite of the chocolate orange and white choc raspberry tart and they were sublime!! The pastry was the best I've ever tasted and the filling delicate and rich. I could see what all the fuss on tripadviser was about! Later we heated the pies at home and had a tasting and they were also excellent. Subtle seasoning's and generous chunks of meat in each. The balance of flavours was perfect.
So well worth a visit, we will definitely return and would love to eat in next time, and with just a couple of tweaks (staff training) this place would be amazing, order a selection to be sure to try the best items we were glad we had!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Norfolk
“Delicious Pies!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I stumbled across this place by accident while cycling a week or so ago and I was so impressed I visited again with my wife a few days ago. The menu is .so tempting that I could have eaten anything off it....but as I am already too tubby I chose scrambled egg on wholemeal toast with smoked salmon - it was delicious. My wife chose the Roast loin pork and this was also excellent and the portion was huge! We also bought some of their pies to take home and they were sublime. Also available are some very tempting and interesting cakes.....my friend had chocolate orange and coca cola (which was really tasty and moist!) This is a very informal place suitable for 2 bedraggled cyclists avoiding the rain over a coffee and a slice of cake - but also a really nice place to take someone for a good meal. Do give them a visit....you will not be disappointed.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sheringham
“Every visit a winner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

I just keep returning and wondering if the standards have gone down. No they just continue to get better. No wonder they won 2 awards in National pie week - a Gold for the Smoked fish pie and a Bronze for one of the other pies.
One not to miss - a full lunch and 4 pies to take home.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Romsey
“A Great Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I can't claim to have personally "found" this place. My wife and I visited in late April 2012 after reading the Tripadvisor reviews. The pies looked delicious so we opted for a pie each. We thought they were rather expensive especially if eating in... but they were the best pies we've ever had. Very tasty and an eating experience we'll remember for a long time!

• Visited April 2012