“Great staff and food in a nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel TerraVina

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Woodlands
Hotel TerraVina
You added Hotel TerraVina to your Saves list
174 Woodlands Road, Woodlands, New Forest National Park SO40 7GL , England   |
Offers & Announcements
Mid Week Dec/Jan Break
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Woodlands
Oxshott
“Great staff and food in a nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Not since I stayed in Asia have I come across such cheerful, helpful staff who are actually interested in making sure you as the customer are put first. They are obviously well selected and trained and do a great job. The food was also really excellent. The hotel itself is a boutique type smaller hotel in the countryside of the New Forest, it is very clean has good standards with little to complain about. Its biggest downside is that its layout seems illogical, the bar feels like its in a corridor with no comfortable/ spacious sitting, the restaurant is oddly sized and designed - it feels like everything is shoe-horned in to too small a space. But otherwise it was great. We stayed on a one night deal that included dinner & break

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We arrived early 1.00 pm .We were shown straight to our room . Which was bright and comfortable
My husband has a shoulder problem. We were helped with our luggage to our room.

The bed was soft but very comfortable bed linen was of a very good quality

The room flor was over looking the car park there was no noise from traffic

The room was warm and heating was easy to understand also air conditioning .

There was loads of towels and the lavender bath wash and shampoo were very nice
Lovely bath ,Plenty of hot water. and my husband said it was the best shower he had in a hotel.

We had afternoon tea with scones jam and cream and was delicious and very good value.

We ate in the restaurant the best rib eye steak delicious.

The breakfast was very good especially the kippers , scrambled egg & salmon .

The mini bar was good the fresh milk was a nice touch

Now sorry a small negative.
I wanted to say at the time but my husband said not to.
The loft hatch in the bathroom of flor was very grubby and part of the wood was ready to fall off.
Also we felt that there was shrinkage of the paint work and cracks which could have been sorted out over the winter . In the bedroom & bathroom

Also and I know it is outside! The conservatory ceiling (where we sat out ) could do with a good clean lots of insect nest and very mucky.

The over all cleanliness of the hotel was perfect just these little things let it down a bit.

The staff were very pleasant and helpful and
The owner was wondering around the restaurant in the evening keeping a eye on everything .

Thank you for our stay. I hope you don't mind me saying the Negative but I did want to be truthful and was how we felt. It no way ruined our stay it is just an observation
Sue and Michael

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Winchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful place to stay, our room (flor) was very comfortable, extremely clean - absolutely no complaints. I really like the roll top baths and the gorgeous Long Barn products, such a plus to use something out of the norm. Good power shower, super comfy bed, lovely pillows and bed linen - just like home!

Breakfast freshly cooked with an excellent choice. Brilliant tea and coffee.

Thanks so much Suzi for all your help and assistance in our stay with you.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
wiltshire uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Having been born and brought up in the New Forest just half a mile from the Terravina I was interested to make a nostalgic return to old haunts. I booked the hotel by telephone on the evening for the next day having visited the hotel website first. The phone was answered promptly and my reservation dealt with efficiently although the "special offer" DBB room rate offered was £10 more than that shown on the website. Upon arrival late afternoon we received a warm welcome and our luggage was carried up the by now famous spiral staircase with which we had no difficulty despite our advanced age!
The room was perfectly acceptable although not deserving of any "wow factor". The facilities were explained to us including the remarkably complex air conditioning/heating controls that we were advised to call for assistance to operate. I mastered the procedure eventually but when at 1 am we wanted to cool the room it proved too daunting in the dark and I had to give up. I did not think staff would appreciate a call to assist at that time of the morning! Room facilities were otherwise good and the provision of a coffee making machine was a nice touch but unfortunately the machine was located in a dark cupboard and following the instructions for use proved demanding. We eventually worked out how to do it having found the hidden on/off switch but we could have done without that challenge so early in the morning. Incidentally a cobweb hanging from the smoke detector of the very high ceiling was a little disappointing but it would certainly have required a tall person with a ladder to remove it!
Lots of positive comments though - the staff were all attentive without being intrusive and took immediate ownership of any issues raised. It appeared that they have been well trained as we observed staff at one moment being waiters and at another confidently taking telephone bookings or dinner reservations and then receiving payment of bills. Like other reporters we did have a variety of staff serving us at dinner and breakfast but all were very competent, friendly and efficient.
Dinner was excellent - we asked for and were then given a table by the window overlooking the garden but would not have been comfortable at one of the tables with a bench seat that form the bulk of the seating in the middle of the room. Special requests for minor adjustment to the menu were dealt with without fuss or difficulty. Breakfast was entirely satisfactory but a choice of fruit juices rather than the single orange flavour and a wider provision of preserves - just marmalade and strawberry were all that we could find - would have been appreciated.
These though are only very minor issues and in no way spoiled our enjoyment of what was a delightful stay and we look forward to returning again.

Room Tip: Do use the knowledge and expertise of the staff when booking to make a good choice of room - they re...
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Just stayed last night in Vin Doux Naturel room, fantastic room! Spacious, amazing bed, roll top bath in bedroom, terrace, the best shower I have ever had, coffee machine I could go on and on. Spotlessly clean and real attention to detail. Had cocktails and champagne before dinner, staff could not do enough. Dinner was fantastic, as was breakfast this morning.
I wanted to treat my wife for her birthday and boy did we get treated well. Thank you so much to all the staff for making us feel so special. I really love this hotel, and especially the way it's run. Such great service and attention to detail it blows my mind every time I go. The perfect break!
Hope to see you all soon Gary & Jacqui

Room Tip: Stay in room Vin Doux Naturel, it's the best and worth it.
Kent, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My wife and I just got back from a very enjoyable 20th Wedding Anniversary overnight stay and dinner at the TerraVina.

The room was nice and modern. I liked the standing bath in the main room. The s
hower was excellent, great water pressure. Nespresso coffee maker was a nice addition.
Bedroom was too war. Bed was comfy.

For dinner we had the 7 course tasting menu. The food was very good as were the wines.
I would definitely stay again.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

For my wife's last week birthday we paid our second visit to Terravina. It had been a couple of years since our first visit and had been keen to return for some time. We arrived early afternoon and our room was ready and we were pleased to be offered an upgrade to a nicer room with a bit more space. The hotel seemed busy but luckily not full. We had dinner which was very enjoyable, I found a nice Chilean Cab on the wine list at a sensible price. Being picky I would say that my medium steak was cooked rare, but I can eat it rare so didn't send it back, and also the dessert was the most disappointing course. Overall though a nice meal at a reasonable price. The room we were given was very nice and had a very nice spacious terrace/balcony which we enjoyed on the first warm sunny day of the year. The room itself was very well appointed and spotlessly clean (although seriously leaking shower screen should have been dealt with), however when we went to bed we discovered there was a big problem we hadn't anticipated. The mattress was very old and had several springs poking through, this made for a uncomfortable night and was very disappointing given the overall standard of the hotel. When we checked out after breakfast (which by the way was excellent, but not if you are in a hurry as service was pretty slow - 25 mins to cook a breakfast seems excessive) and we mentioned the poor bed. I don't know what we were expecting but perhaps a little a more than an "oh thanks I will get someone to look at it". Sleep quality is an important factor when staying at a hotel and for a hotel of this quality (and price) an aged mattress that wouldn't grace a cheap seaside B&B is a big negative. So my advice to anyone thinking of staying at Hotel TerraVina is to go and enjoy it, but perhaps when you get your room to quickly check the bed, maybe our experience is rare, but I do think its worth checking. Our room was Selection de Grains, but hopefully they have acted on our feedback.

Room Tip: Selection de Grain is a nice room but check the bed.
NInaBasset, Owner at Hotel TerraVina, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Having responded privately to this reviewer, I would just like to add a public note regarding our beds.

All of our beds are top quality, Vi Spring beds and mattresses and many of our guests comment on how fantastically comfortable they are. We were thus very surprised to hear on check out that this guest did not have a comfortable nights sleep as no previous guest had noted that the bed was uncomfortable with a poor mattress and certainly no note had previously been made that springs were poking through.

Immediately that the guest told us of his discomfort we took action as we do not want any guests to have an uncomfortable nights sleep. At the same time, all of the other bedroom mattresses have been checked and we continue to receive comments from guests telling us the beds are heavenly and very comfortable.

Many thanks to the reviewer for letting us know of his thoughts on the mattress- constructive comments are most helpful and we can take positive action thanks to them.

Nina Basset, FIH

Been to Hotel TerraVina? Share your experiences!