“A welcoming, friendly hotel in beautiful surroundings” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Woodlands Lodge Hotel

Save Saved
You added Woodlands Lodge Hotel to your Saves list
Woodlands Lodge Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bartley Rd, Woodlands, New Forest National Park SO40 7GN, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Woodlands
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A welcoming, friendly hotel in beautiful surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed here for just one night but instantly wanted to stay longer. The staff are very friendly, helpful and welcoming. We took our dog with us and he was made to feel just as welcome with a blanket, towell and bag of treats awaiting him in the room. This was a lovely touch. The room was really nice - comfortable and cosy with plenty of space for us and the dog. We were so pleased to be given a deluxe room after only booking a standard - no extra charge was added so this was a real treat - thank you! The food was AMAZING in the restaurant, beautifully presented and cooked to perfection - you must eat there at least once during your stay. The staff helped us with routes to walk and gave us lots of info. We stayed late August and the weather was beautiful however parts of the walk were very boggy - take Wellies or walking boots! This is a fantastic hotel, understated (which we like) with warm and attentive staff. A great base for exploring the new forest. We will be back and we have already recommended this hotel to friends. Thank you for a lovely stay.

218 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Have just returned a wonderful stay at the Woodlands Lodge Hotel. It came highly recommended to us by a dear old friend and I have to say we weren't disappointed. The hotel itself is full of character and charm and perfectly located which meant we could easily enjoy all the area has to offer. The staff were all friendly, knowledgeable, and extremely accommodating - the hotel owner even took time out of his busy day to show my two young girls the chickens to their absolute delight. It was exactly what we we after and we can only hope that the other hotels we stay in on our trip over here from Australia are just as delightful. Many thanks to everyone at Woodlands Lodge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I am just back from a short break at this place. I went accompanied by my dog. It is a very dog-friendly establishment which is why I chose it. You can walk through the hotel garden out into the New Forest and we had some splendid walks.We could not have been made more welcome. One night I dined in the main dining room, teh dog remaining in the room, the other night I dined in the bar from the restaurant menu with the dog beside me. I was given the same standard of service. I found the service excellent. Everyone was friendly, kind and efficient. The food is really top-notch. As a solo traveller I also felt welcomed and valued. This is a hotel with age and charm and some of the fixtures and fittings in the room were dated but I found the room clean and comfortable with a powerful shower and lots of hot water and that is all that matters to me. I liked the fact that it was not fussy or chic. I loved the place and will certainly return.

Room Tip: There are five rooms designated for people with dogs. I had one on the first floor overlooking the f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Swindon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The setting was very nice on the edge of the New Forest though because set back from off the road could maybe do with clearer signs as to where it is. We were greeted pleasantly and the young lady seemed quite helpful and shown to our room. We settled in and had missed the deadline for the "Bar Menu" but didn't really fancy anything off the "Restaurant Menu" but the chef kindly agreed to cook us something from the bar menu. I had the Chicken Ceasar Salad which was nice though at £11 a little over priced in my opinion and my wife had the home-made burger which she was happy with. The food did seem to take a little while to come but like I said was nice enough in terms of quality when it did arrive.

We stayed in room number six which was clean and tidy though the curtains were damaged so my wife had to use hairclips to keep them together at night. The whirlpool part of the bath didn't work and although it said in the book that we could just call and they would come and reset if it wasn't, by the time you have run the bath, and got in to find it not working you are hardly going to get out, dry off and wait for someone to come to reset it.

The television seemed very tempermental as it kept switching itself off and it took a little while for us to settle at night as there seemed to be noise from the floor above. The bed itself was comfortable.

In the morning we had breakfast the toast was nice and fresh and not just cold and cardboard like as you sometimes get in hotels. However when my fried breakfast came the beans were as cold as though they had just been dropped out of the can! I sent it back and they returned it to me shortly after but to be honest they still seemed only lukewarm and within around a minute they had gone cold again so I ended up leaving them.

If I was paying £50-70 for this hotel I would probably accept you get what you pay for but we paid £149 for one night so I think when you pay that sort of money all the niggly things that I have mentioned shouldn't be the case and you shouldn't have to put up with that.

Therefore overall I can only score the hotal as average, nice setting, clean but defintely there need to be improvements made or drop the price as £149 was alot to pay for what we got so left myself and my wife disappointed and wouldn't rush to return, would of got more value for money at a Premier Inn. :(

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Imogene A, Owner at Woodlands Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to write on trip advisor. We are disappointed that not all areas of your stay met with your expectations and we were unhappy that you left feeling that you had not received value for your money. We pride ourselves on being friendly and helpful and we would have helped you with the bath or the television if we had known. I am pleased that you sent back the beans and have referred your comments to the kitchen, our breakfast is usually a highlight of our guests experiences and showcases the delicious produce we have on our doorstep so i apologise that this was a let down. We are constantly trying to give guests a great New Forest experience and hope that you do stay with us again so we can show you we can do better. Thank you for commenting once again.
Hamilton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Beautiful small hotel on the edge of the New Forest, dog-friendly, great food, very peaceful. We are traveling with our dog and had the Compton Gardens Suite, two spacious ground floor rooms plus a sun room and small fenced garden. We've been traveling for 3 months and have stayed in many very nice places, but this one tops them all for comfort and convenience.

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We picked this hotel at last minute for weekend away with our 3 year old. Reviews good on trip advisor so we took the chance. We were very lucky as weather was great as well.
Hotel was lovely and in such a good location. The decor a bit flowery for my taste but hotel very clean.
Breakfast and evening meal was of good standard and lots of choice.
Garden was fanastic for early evening drinks, Sunday morning paper reading - even with a 3 year old.
All the staff were friendly and approachable, and could give local advice on places to go.

The only criticism was the chambermaids who were sat in the hall on the Saturday morning moaning about cleaning and how good it was that people were leaving that day. They clearly don't do a good job, we found previous guest toiletries in our room, we had to ask for soap and toilet rolls as did people in the next room to ours.
These are small details which didn't spoil our stay but it might others, but I think it's a staffing issue which all hotels can suffer from.
Overall though, I would recommend this hotel for couples but aldosterone those ith kids.

Room Tip: We had a standard double which was large bedroom and large ensuite.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I'll keep it brief. Loved the room. Very comfortable. Evening meal was superb. Staff very friendly and the management seem very keen to ensure you enjoy your stay.
The surroundings are scenic and the location quiet. Will definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Woodlands Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!