“Lovely place to stay - will definitely go back” 5 of 5 stars

Garden Road, Burley, New Forest National Park, Ringwood BH24 4EA, England   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Burley B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Middlesex
“Lovely place to stay - will definitely go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

I have stayed at Wayside Cottage twice, and have booked again for another few days in the autumn.When I first arrived, on each occasion, I was greeted by one of the owners' delightful dogs. All three dogs are well behaved and, whilst guests may meet them in the reception hall or the ground floor corridor, the dogs do not come into any of the rooms used by guests. On the first occasion, John offered me a choice of rooms and I selected one on the first floor. On the second visit I had a ground floor room. Both bedrooms were very comfortable, each room is individually furnished. The rooms are well decorated, well furnished, warm and with comfortable beds. I was pleased to find toiletries in the en suite, this I had not expected.

Breakfast was excellent, with plenty of choice of juices, cereals, etc. and the cooked breakfast made to order and delicious.

Throughout my stay I found John and Janet welcoming and friendly.

The fact that I have returned once and have booked to do so again is a clear indication of my level of satisfaction with Wayside Cottage.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
herts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

My friends and i were welcomed by Janet and John and were shown our gorgeous rooms before being offered a much-needed cup of tea in the cosy sitting room. We immediately felt 'at home' and were able to relax into our trip to the New Forest. We live in North London but the whole experience seemed a million miles from our normal busy routines. I am sure i speak for my friendsby saying that we cannot fault any aspect of our stay at Wayside Cottage and we hope to return in the near future.
Thanks again

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
herts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

The location of wayside cottage is amazing as we love burley,the bed was comfortable and the food was good.There was only two slight isues that we had and this was that the shower in our room was no where near powerfull enough and it took us longer to get ready.Also a note to any1 with an electric shaver or toothbrush is that there was no socket for these appliances which we found quite suprising in this day and age.
Other than those two things we couldnt fault it and would recomend to any1.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Sussex by the sea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

This was my second visit and I was not disappointed. The large cottage is very picturesque with an immaculate sizeable front garden and parking spaces for guests. There is also a patio area in the back garden where guests can sit.

Janet and John are welcoming as are the three lovely and very friendly dachshunds. After being shown my room I was offered the choice of tea or coffee in the guest lounge which is comfortable with TV and warm and cosy on cold evenings when a fire is lit.

On both visits my bedroom has been on the ground floor and a good size with very comfortable bed, TV, clean and warm and I have always had a good night’s sleep. The en suite is very clean and modern with shower plus toiletries.

Breakfast is in the dining room overlooking the front garden. There is a good choice of juice, cereals, fruit, yoghurt, homemade bread and jams as well as a delicious freshly cooked full English breakfast.

Wayside is in a great location, very quiet and peaceful yet only 5 minutes walk from the centre of Burley village and its amenities. There is a lovely restaurant at the bottom of the road offering very good evening meals on Fridays and Saturdays and you can also dine well at both the village pubs. Lunch can be had at a number of nearby tea rooms.
It is a good base from which to explore the New Forest and just inside the front door of the B & B there is a table with lots of information leaflets on things to do and see. Within 5 minutes walkers can be in the forest and horse riders can be at the nearest stables.

I have booked a third visit later in the year and really would not want to stay anywhere else. Janet and John’s passion for antiques and the way the cottage has been furnished makes a stay here a unique experience. I would highly recommend Wayside as it is in an excellent location, very clean and comfortable accommodation, great breakfasts and good value for money.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

Myself and two friends arrived into Burley tired from walking and looking for a place to stay the night that wouldn’t cost us a fortune. Having spent the previous night in Lyndhurst at a hotel that had a triple room and served a big breakfast all for £33 each, our expectations were high. Although I was ready to check into the first place we went to (The Burley Inn; £40 each for the night) my friends thought we should try a couple of other places just to check the price, and I am glad that we held out. After phoning a couple of B&B’s in the Burley area to no avail, we were given the number of John West and Wayside Cottage. From the initial phone call John was friendly and very obliging, he gave us directions to Wayside Cottage and the price over the phone and we popped over.
Turning into the drive of Wayside Cottage we were really pleased to see the sizable country house that looked every bit a retreat; picture postcard perfect! Welcomed at the door by a friendly little Dachshund and John West, the joint proprietor (along with his wife Jan) we were asked to pop off our muddy boots and check out the rooms to see if we liked them before we made our minds up. The rooms were great, a nice size, decorated with antique style furniture and almost twee design. My immediate thought was, “my girlfriend would love this place!” The bathroom was modern, styled with stone tiles and all new shower, sink and toilet with lovely toiletries provided.
After approving of the rooms we handed over the money (they only take cash or cheques) John offered us a pot of tea in the guest lounge which we happily accepted being rather parched. Making our way down the tastefully decorated hall we met some more friendly little pooches who were happy to see us. There is a real feeling of being at home but a home that was much plusher than my own! Swigging tea in the guest lounge we chatted to other guests who were there for the night and seemed to be enjoying the ambiance as much as we were. On the way back to our rooms we bumped into Jan West who introduced herself and let us know that if needed anything just to ask, which was nice.
After showering and getting changed for the evening we asked John where he thought was the best place in Burley to eat and have a drink, he suggested the Queen’s Head and he also suggested a few local ales we should sample too! Before we set off John got us a couple of torches as there are no street lights in the village, which I thought was a nice touch. He also asked us if we required any specials for breakfast in the morning as all meals are made to order. The specials included smoked haddock and poached eggs and another dish which I can’t remember.
Breakfast in the morning is served between8am and 9am in the dining room which is a charming room overlooking the front garden. There are all the usual things available as in cereals etc but there was so much more too, like homemade breads and jams, fruit loaf and hot cross buns. All the usual fruits and yoghurts were present and correct and when we did order our cooked breakfast we were not disappointed, each of us had a full English but with eggs cooked differently, I had a perfectly poached egg (free range and local) and the rest tasted great too, a great way to start the day.
Before we left for another days walking Jan talked us through a good route to take to walk down to Brockenhurst and wished us luck. We said we’d be back and would recommend them. Leaving the front gate John was pulling in and stopped and asked us if we knew the way and if we needed directions, we told him Jan had helped us and we thanked him for a great stay.
Jan and John are the most accommodating people and have the perfect temperament for Bed and Breakfast owners. Never once did I feel in need of anything and if I did they were on hand to help. I would recommend Wayside Cottage to anyone, couples, friendship groups and families alike, you won’t be disappointed

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

I have read other reviews on this site and do not agree with some of the comments. We had a very nice experience at the cottage with a homely and friendly atmosphere. It felt like a home with invited guests which is what a B&B should be, The dogs are mentioned on the home page, the English have dogs, and these are not the largest animals in the New Forest, there are I think a few Ponies and Horses, so maybe so if you dont like dogs then the New Forest is probably not for you! This cottage could not be cleaner, there is no corner where the duster has not been. If you want an impersonal and stuffy stay then select one of the manor house style hotels and pay double, but if you want a stay in a friendly home then I would recommend Wayside Cottage.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Cannock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the family room. We were made to feel most welcome and Janet & John went out of their way to be friendly to us and attentive to our needs with two very young children. We will stay there again when in the area next.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Wayside Cottage? Share your experiences!