“A treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Brownlow Arms

The Brownlow Arms
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hough-on-the-Hill
The Brownlow Arms
You added The Brownlow Arms to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Inn   |   Grantham Road, Hough-on-the-Hill NG32 2AZ, England   |
Hertford, United Kingdom
“A treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night, and we're very glad we had booked dinner; it was a Saturday night, but in such an out of the way spot we were surprised at the number of diners. After eating there we can see why! The locals are very lucky - the food, ingredients and service was fantastic, and nothing was too much trouble. We had to leave early for an engagement the next day, but we're able to specify what we wanted for breakfast in the evening, so it would be ready for us as soon as possible the next day. Our room was well equipped and comfortable. Am planning a return trip already!

Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
travelcritta in UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

My brother and his wife have been quite a few times and so the restaurant had a glowing review from them, so we all met up ( we booked an overnight stay.)
Staff were friendly and it was busy, the bar area was pretty packed but there were some spare seats(Decor & Furniture v.well lived in!) we had pre dinner drinks and then went in for our dinner.
The food we chose was great quality,although for me the seasoning on the steak a little strong.Veg comes en mass in a bowl and ditto for chips (were adequate portions), we all enjoyed our food ,but for me the cheese board could have been a little less biscuits and more whole grapes.
The room was average ,plenty of fresh towels and hot water and a comfy bed..so cant really ask for more for an overnighter- the breakfast was rewarding enough but not outstanding. Overall very good and we would recommend the food.Only has on street Parking but in quiet village !

Room Tip: Really a B and B, so book ahead if you want a room and ask if you require a bath.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

OMG!! We have been to The Brownlow Arms several times over 6 or 7 years for a meal and the food is faultless, as it was for Valentine's night. The service from start to finish was perfect, all the staff were friendly and welcoming. The value for what is usually an overpriced night was amazing, 2 courses for £29.50 or 3 (me!) for £32.50 - we have paid more than this on a "normal" night for much less quality. So as per usual the restaurant was amazing in every way!
However - what we have never done before is to stay overnight in one of their rooms and what a total treat this was! I can tell you (and for anyone who watches Friends this will make sense) the room wasn't just clean, it wasn't even spotless, it was my kind of clean "Monica clean!" You would seriously think we were the first people to ever use the bathroom, it was immaculate. Fluffy warm towels on the best towel radiator, all the toiletries you could possibly need and when I say the tiles were gleaming, they were sparkling. The cleaning staff here are most certainly commendable - I have stayed at more expensive hotels where the bathrooms are no where near cleaned to the same standards.
The room was gorgeous, the canopy over the bed head was stunning (and I am on a mission to recreate it) the bed itself was probably one of the comfiest, snuggliest beds I have ever slept in! The duvet was gorgeous and who knew plain white bedding could look so beautiful.
The room was so dark and so quiet - for someone who works shifts I could sleep there forever! There were copious supplies of tea & coffee and water, a great selection of current magazines and a couple of DVDs.
Breakfast was just fabulous - we have not eaten for the rest of the day - which is remarkable I can assure you. The bacon was thick cut and perfectly cooked, beautiful eggs, sausage, beans etc and by special request, by husband was blessed with the black pudding he had enjoyed in his meal the evening before. Plus, as we have always been in the past for an evening meal, it was a joy to see the place in daylight, beautiful building, stunning surroundings and my first view of snowdrops of the year.
All in all this was a Valentine's break to remember and I do not hesitate in recommending the Brownlow Arms not just as a fabulous place to eat, but a brilliant place to spend the night.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

What a find! I was visiting the area on business and was lucky enough to find this place through 'Late Rooms.com'. The room was fantastic. Beautifully decorated with a modern bathroom. I was offered fresh milk for my room and the service was superb. I stayed two nights and ate in the restaurant on the second evening which was a real treat. Not cheap but a class above. Would recommend this enthusiastically. My only whinge was that it was quite difficult to find late at night as the roadsigns were infrequent and street lights non existent!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is an absolutely lovely place to stay whilst away either on business or pleasure (and as a business traveller, a welcome break from the usual, boring business hotels). The rooms are beautifully decorated, the bathrooms modern and well equipped and the bar very welcoming (especially as the fire was roaring in the grate and the place looked very festive with Christmas decorations). I was escorted to my room by one of the owners who made me feel very looked after! As for the restaurant - the food was delicious and the service was fantastic with the feeling that nothing was too much. After a great night's sleep surrounded by the quiet countryside, breakfast the next morning was copious!! Well worth a stay as far as I am concerned.
A small watch out - the pub is closed on Monday (which is fair enough - everyone deserves a day off) so arrival time and food need to be thought about a little more carefully.
I am looking forward to my next stay already!!

Room Tip: I stayed in one of the bungalow rooms which are just 1 minute away - I would imagine they are quiete...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

From the moment we stepped in through the door we were not dissapointed for one minute. We were greeted with a smile and efficiently shown our room, eventhough we got there a bit early we were given the keys not only to our room but to the hotel as well so that when we returned we could get in then come and go as we wanted. The room was up to the minute facilities, modern, very clean and the bathroom was spacious with a good shower (which many fail on). Then the highlight of our first day - what a fantastic dinner in a very spacious and comfortable dining room, the restaurant certainly came to life immediately with locals and visitors alike, very well selected staff, nothing was too much trouble, always a smile with attention to detail paramount. By the way the food was absolutly delicious, good quality fare and brilliant flavours and not overpriced either. Quality - quality - quality throughout. We will return, Thank you Lorraine. PS - The bed was soooooooooooo comfy.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
brentwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

This place was booked by friends as we were in the area playing golf and wanted somewhere nice to stay on the Saturday night.
It didn’t disappoint at all.
We arrived at a busy time of the evening and were immediately tended to and shown our superb rooms. A quick shower in the well appointed bathroom and downstairs to a buzzing bar area for a pre dinner drink.
Dinner was excellent with a great selection of wines and service of the highest order.
After a great night sleep on an extremely comfortable bed we were again treated a superb effort from the kitchen with a great full English breakfast.
The only disappointment was that we were leaving so early to play golf again. We would have like to have had a bit more time to soak up the beautiful surroundings, but that has given us the excuse to return, which we surely will.
There are not enough places like this, A Real Find!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Brownlow Arms? Share your experiences!