“Poor 'resort' on a lovely island” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Celestial Resort Pulau Ubin

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pulau Ubin
Celestial Resort Pulau Ubin
You added Celestial Resort Pulau Ubin to your Saves list
1000 Pulua Ubin Island, Pulau Ubin 508419, Singapore   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pulau Ubin
Singapore, Singapore
“Poor 'resort' on a lovely island”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This was my first time to Pulau Ubin and to Celestial resort. Before I review, I should probably say that Pulau Ubin is lovely, well worth the visit and that I cannot wait to go back in a few months time when the tides are more better timed to Wetland Guided tours.

I really enjoyed my two days on Ubin. Myself and my girlfriend spent the first day strolling and taking in some of the roads and paths on foot. The second was spent cycling to the Chek Jawa wetlands, the sensory trail, the north of the island, etc..

However, the "resort" was a letdown.

At SGD $138 per night it is quite expensive for what is, effectively, an average hostel.
The rack rate $138 included a standard room (bathroom, double bed, TV, noisy aircon, and no fan) and, to be fair, a surprisingly good breakfast.

However, that was it.

There is a deal that includes 1 hour kayaking, unlimited snorkeling and unlimited fish spa for SGD $25. The kayaking and snorkeling are in the on-site lagoon. The promotional pictures imply a crystal clear tropical experience. In effect it it is not quite so: It’s more like a murky pond. We skipped the snorkeling and kayaking, the snorkeling because it didn't look entirely welcoming, the kayaking because the lagoon is pretty small. One thing to note, you still have to pay for the snorkeling if you have your own gear.

We enquired about going for a swim and were told that we would have to pay. For the 'resort' pool where we were staying! I cannot believe that $138 a night doesn't even let you have a swim in the lagoon. (I use the word lagoon lightly). In fact, even to sit at the edge of the lagoon in an aging deck chair incurs a fee.

We did opt for the $10 for 1 hour fish spa, which we really enjoyed it must be said. There are two pools with different varieties of fish in each that will gladly eat away and dead skin on you feet, legs or indeed whole body if you so desire. We left it at feet and legs :-) At $10 per hour, this is actually a good deal. Saying that, you can stroll in and get the same rate off the street – there is no guest rate.

The other good point about celestial is the restaurant, as I have already mentioned, the breakfast is quite good - eggs, sausages, beans, toast, tea, coffee, juice. The veggie offering for my girlfriend was very good too. We also had dinner and I can personally recommend the barbequed stingray. We did move tables a couple of times though so we could here each other over the blaring music. This is not the place for a romantic dining experience.

There's no real 'nightlife' at celestial either. I was left wondering where everyone was at 8:30 at night. Luckily, the restaurant sells beer but there is no bar area as such. I quite enjoyed my dinner and a few beers though.

Bicycle hire is $10 per day but, to be honest, the bikes are newer and cheaper at any of the places nearer the jetty. However, we noticed on the rules it is not permitted to have non-resort bicycles on the resort site. We were glad we didn’t go with our original plan to bring our own bicycles with us. We hired a couple and they did the job though - and cycling the island is a very nice way to get around.

One more note: I took a stroll around the resort a couple of times and couldn't help but notice the litter, especially around the coastal areas. I am sure that quite a lot of the rubbish was just deposited on the shore by the tide, but a few minutes a day by a couple of members of staff could have cleared it. Nobody likes to see litter, especially when it is so easy to clear. Also, we didn’t see anything to support their claim to be “practicing Conservation” at the resort.

Speaking as a very experienced traveler who is happy to stay at the bottom end of the scale when required, this place was more of a very overpriced average hostel than a resort. A fairer price would be about $15, rather than $138. When I go to Ubin again, and I will, it will be for day trips though and I will most probably not stay at celestial again, I am sorry to say.

Room Tip: Stay in Singapore itself and visit the island for a day trip
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
bangkok
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Last Saturday, we've been for the first time to Pulau Ubin. Our idea was to spend one night to this resort if the place was looking nice or, at least, to stop there for a drink.
At the resort entrance, the person in charge asked us to pay SG$2 each and attached a paper bracelet to our wrist ... (he explained us that to much people are coming to the resort, disturbing his guests ). H'm.
We've been visiting around ... the place was untidy, the small beach full of rubbish, the green area ( where deckchairs are lying - see pictures ) not maintained at all.
Behind the bungalows there is a slope. And the top of that one covered by a huge quantity of big size rubbish. It seems to be the back of the restaurant.
After that tour, of course, we had no more desire to stay, even for a drink !
We went back to the entrance and asked the reason of the poor maintenance of the beach.
The man told us that all those rubbish was coming from the sea and then, the impossibility to keep the beach clean .....
They were two people for collecting the $2 entrance fee... Maybe better if one of them will be in charge of the beach cleaning !
That place could be nice but only if the management accept to change his mind !!

Room Tip: If the management doesn't change his mine, better to avoid that place;
Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Very clean room and good service quality of the staff. Breakfast is quite average level but acceptable. I stayed deluxe room which has bath-tub. The water was enough hot. will stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I have booked under 49 sgd deal package where I got overnight cycle, 2 hours of Kayaking and Fish spa, breakfast and Lobster spagetti lunch. Fish spa was good fun. Lobster lunch is excellent. If you are a nature lover it's really excellent deal.

• Stayed June 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

My partner and I had planned a little weekend getaway here, and maybe were naively optimistic about our experience due to the cleanliness and organisation of this nation state. Both being well-season backpackers who are happy to sleep in the worst conditions if needs be, we are however somewhat disappointed if a "resort" of an average cost of $100/night seems like it was forgotten in the early 80's: Trained staff was minimal, no real housekeeping and no running water to shower in the morning. The room was only partially cleaned upon our arrival with toilet stains and an overall dirty bathroom, and even after repeated calls for housekeeping no one ever came to clean. (As the water supply was cut off for several hours each morning we couldn't even flush the toilet.) The room looked very tired and the blankets were rather uninviting. The staff in the restaurant were clearly very friendly and relaxed, however they didn't know much about the menu or customer service. Their little fish farm right next to some rooms smells... welll... strongly fishy, and the "fish spa" area looks like from a prison camp. The only uplifting experience in this place was the absence of guests on Monday, which allowed for a quiet idyll outdoors, and their so-called "lagoon" with a dozen sting rays and other fish, which you can feed, pet and observe. During our visit their pump was broken, yet when the water is clear, one can go snorkeling as well, which must be amazing (rays have their barbs tips trimmed).
All in all I would only come back for the rays, not for the resort or its other amenities, where I can get manifold its quality for a fraction of the price in nearby other SEA countries.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I am from Singapore and I am used to nice resorts and what not but I must say I do enjoy the trip however let's just say I know Pulau Ubin is pre-historic and even ancient compared to mainland Singapore and having been camping there as a teenager I kind of have expected what sort of trip this will be.

If you think you are going to have a Bintan / Phuket type of beach resorts experience with Ubin, please do not come here. The facilities are really simple, bare minimum if I may. Think East Coast Park chalet to have an idea.

But I love the whole experience of coming to this island here's why;

1.You get to go a bumboat ride which was different and authentic though it will cost you $2.50 a trip.
2.You get to explore the island if you cycle to the resort which is 2.4km away from the jetty. Tedious and gruelling so if you hate this, hire a van.
3.It is a really peaceful place, away from the city away from everything..it's really mind relaxing. If you are bored you can do kayak or cycle around the island, feed the fishes that sort of thing which I find really cool. Night time you can have a quiet dinner and just enjoy the silent night. I find it really calming.
4. All that for only $60 a night per couple by coupon which is a real steal. That is the ONLY reason why I decided to take up the package to stay at the resort and will be the ONLY reason to bring me back. Their usual rate is at $138 per night but I find that for their kind of services, dining, facilities, amenities I won't pay $138 for it.$60 to me is rather fair considering its really like going back to an old island untouched by developments.

Room Tip: Try to get room with a lagoon view instead of the garden view. The garden view basically overlooks t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Blackout and water supply got cut off due to technical problem... Besides that, everything went out fine for me and my wife... The receptions are very nice and I enjoyed my so called "Getaway" there and I would come back again if there's another promotion.

• Stayed March 2012

Been to Celestial Resort Pulau Ubin? Share your experiences!