“On a clear day fabulous views.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Attractions in Laxey
Type: Mountains, Sports
leyland
41 attraction reviews
“On a clear day fabulous views.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Take the mountain railway from Laxey up to the top of the Isle of Mans highest mountain. On a clear day you can see, Wales Scotland, Ireland and Cumbria. Plus fabulous views of the island itself. Well worth a visit.

Visited April 2013

Norwich, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“The Idyllic Isle of |Man”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

There are countless places to go for our annual weeks away that at times we all find it hard to choose. Just lately we have been encouraged to stay at home for our holidays. Adverts telling us of how wonderful our country is and that we should try keeping here instead of doing what most of us do each year which is travel far and wide to that ultimate dream holiday destination. I have recently discovered a wonderful ‘half way’ alternative to the ‘Staycation’ idea. How about an Island that sits in the centre of the Irish Sea?

‘The Isle of Man’

Last June I had a fantastic 9 day holiday on that wonderful Island. The pre-hols research I did gave me a hint of what I should expect, but none of those images and words came close to what I discovered from actually being in such an amazingly beautiful place.

The Isle of Man is 31m from Ireland and 31m from the UK. The land mass measures
32.5m from north to south and 13.5m from east to west. The longest river is Sulby at 10.5m and the highest mountain is Snaefell at 2036ft. It is an internally self-governing dependent territory of the Crown which is not part of the United Kingdom.

The Isle of Man is easily accessed by air and sea. There are several ways to travel around the Island when sight seeing – The Steam Railway and two Electric Railways one of which climbs the tallest of their 12 peaks, Snaefell.

There is so much to see and do on the Island. Many places of interest to visit such as art galleries, museums, ancient monuments, cinema and theatre. Also there are many outdoor activities such as walking, mountain biking and watersports, both lists go on. Whatever your current fitness levels are there is most certainly something for everyone.

The views to be had from the mountain and the gently sloping hills are absolutely stunning. The Islanders were warm, welcoming and very informative. I had a thoroughly delightful, enjoyable and relaxing time. Standing on the little hill road, above the meadows that melt away towards the smooth pebbled bay where the fins of Basking Sharks were clearly visible above the water, the sea stretching out towards the hills of Wales, I had a moment where I realised what a spectacular place it is. Needless to say my plans were made to return before I had even left.

The Isle of Man is as deep, breathtaking and enchanting as the sea that surrounds it.

Visited June 2012
Basingstoke
33 attraction reviews
“Splendid Scenic Ride with Views – On a clear day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Its not clear if this entry refers to the antique and unique Snaefell Mountain Railway or the 2,036 foot mountain itself, but both are excellent attractions in their own right and deserve six stars plus.

Having arrived from Ramsey on Tunnel Car no 6 {of 1894] I transferred to the slights younger SMR Car No 6 [of 1895] for the trip up the mountain. Good views were had of the Laxey Wheel and up past the Bungalow stop, seeing the Sulby Reservoir and glimpses of the Irish Sea. As it was breezy at the top I had a late lunch in the Summit café. This bright and well laid out cafe/restaurant produced some very welcoming and tasty and filling hot food albeit a tad pricey. In fact it is so good that the hot lunches for the MER staff at Laxey station were plated up, wrapped in foil and taken down on the tram I rode down on.

It was still somewhat misty when I left and of course when I got back to Laxey all cloud had cleared giving a blue sky and giving a splendid sunset later...

Visited October 2012
Singapore, Singapore
26 attraction reviews
“WOW , I love Isle of Man , United kingdom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I had visited Isle of Man in UK. How to come to this place? You can take a Ferry or took a flight. Small plane from London airport. The main city in Douglas Town. The tallest Hill in Snaefell . It is very cooling even in Summer! Isle of man is a small Island surrounded by sea. At top of "snaefell" , you can feel the fresh air that it is different feeling in London city! In Isle of man , you can visit some interest places like Peel Castle, Port Erin , Port St Mary, Onchan, Douglas Town, Laxey Wheel, Ramsey and Point of Ayre. I like the most is the north , Point of Ayre. Small stone(Pebble) , the light house , the sea , thw wind and also near by farm! A big "WOW" I had shout . A nice Chinese take way "resturant named "The Orient", I like the Fried Chicken .. Very nice! Owner is very Friendly!
when I visited this place.... Isle of Man , a small island in UK. A very peaceful place! I will always remember this place!

Visited September 2012
Dorchester, United Kingdom
157 attraction reviews
“unfortunately a bit misty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We had coffee and cakes at the restaurant at the top. The journey was great, and the views from the top were good, but some clouds on the horizon. Service was prompt and courteous in the restaurant.

Visited September 2012