“Flyfishing and Jungle Adventures” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tarponville

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manzanillo
Tarponville
Tarpon, Manzanillo, Costa Rica   |
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Flyfishing and Jungle Adventures”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was our third trip to Tarponville. Friends joined us this time from the UK. This trip we also had the pleasure of Ann and Jim's company. (Owners) Their hospitality was great. Ann is the sweetest lady. Her knowledge of dolphins from all her research over the years was educational and interesting. My husband's main interest is of course is the fly fishing. Tight lines with 110 pound plus tarpon is exciting not only to catch but their acrobatics are a thrill to photograph and experience for the on-lookers as well. The staff is always very friendly and accommodating. I have to mention the Caribbean style food it was great. Nice to have such healthy meals away from home. While the rooms are not overly fancy they are clean, comfortable and colorful. We took a guided jungle hike and photographed the many types of poison dart frogs, toucans, eyelash viper snakes, extremely interesting bugs, howler monkeys etc. A photographers dream location. If wild night life is what you are looking for this may not be the place for you although it is within walking distance to town where there is a club to do some dancing. If your are looking to experience the jungle (always interesting), nice beaches and of course the Tarpon fishing as well as Jacks (especially for the "King of Jacks") check out this lodge. Special thanks to Dolfi (manager) and Junior (the Cook)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I simply found the place to be paradise - no its not a Sandels Beach resort - its a fishing lodge on the edge of the jungle, located on a beautiful Caribbean beach and within 20 minutes of some amazing Tarpon fishing - now thats what I call paradise. We had the pleasure of Jim and Ann (the owners) staying with us for the week - great hosts with some fantastic stories to tell. This was my first time fishing for Tarpon on fly so I hired Jims fishing gear - brand new rod and reel and within an hour of fishing I had my first 40lb Tarpon - just incredible. Jim was more than happy to share his wealth of knowledge so whether you are seasoned expert or a novice like me, he always had a answer to help you catch that big one. There is little more to add - if you enjoy fishing, great food, meeting great people and want to see nature in its true glory then head for Tarponville before other tourists change it too much.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor - nice balcony to unwind, have a sundowner drink and tell all your...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband, my daughter and I, together with a group of friends from Chile, Argentina and Scotland went on a fishing trip with Fly Fishing Patagonia to this Lodge.
I really wanted to go with my husband because of the fishing of those giant tarpons, but I was so scared after reading some of the awful reviews that I almost stayed home, fortunately my daughter decided to come with us in the last minute and that helped me decide to go.
I am not the adventurous type and I do not fish, my daughter is like me , so I took some books, my ipad and mosquito repelent and planned to spend time reading and enjoying my daughter's company and the beautiful beaches there.
It was a long trip from San Jose to Manzanillo, but so beautiful, first the tropical rain forest which is so amazing it reminds me of the South of Chile, and then the jungle: so powerful, so impressive, a little scary as well, I mean I wouldn't like to be there by myself!!!!
We passed through Limon, not very nice, and very poor, then we passed Puerto Viejo, which is a real nice place for young people, full of pubs, backpackers and people having fun. Then we got to Manzanillo and at the very end we stopped and the driver called the lodge and Dolphi, the manager came to get our bags, we had to cross the creek which was dry at that moment and walk a little and we found our lodge, it was a nice , rustic cottage, you had to climb 33 steps to get there, there was a large wooden terrace to relax and the most magnificent view you can imagine!!! The cottage was simple. A small kitchen we never used and two bedrooms and a bathroom on the first floor, which is were we were. I know my friends were staying upstairs and their room was also comfortable. They had their own bathroom there.
There were fans in every room as well as in the kitchen, there also was a big portable fan we sometimes used in the terrace.
The meals were taken in another cottage, very close from our place. Junior, the cook , is the nicest person ever, he is a great cook and he is always willing to share his recipes and so attentive. They also made you feel at home and help yourself to the bar etc.
Myriam, the cleaning lady is also very nice and quiet, she helps in the kitchen as well and makes great salads. Dolphi, the manager is always there making sure everything was OK.
I can't say this is the most organized place, because many times we had to wait because things were not ready, but nobody was in a hurry or complained, we had a very good time.
There were bugs, a lot, and once I found a little crab in my open suitcase and the Howler monkeys woke me up several times, but because the place is so beautiful and the people are so nice, it didn't matter.
About the fishing. They left every morning around 7 and came back around 11:30 for lunch and left again around 2:00 to be back for drinks and dinner at around 6:30.
There were 7 people fishing and 5 of them got giant tarpons, they were as big as the fishermen!!!! Sometimes they could see many of them but they weren't feeding, but most of the times al least one in the group had got one and they would exchange pictures and lies (?) every evening when we shared drinks and our delicious meals.
We had the chance of meeting Jim and Anne, the owners of the place. They are fantastic people, they have travelled everywhere and were happy to share their experiences with us. Jim is so smart, he remembers names, dates etc and Anne is so pretty and warm, she makes you feel at home, she even made us a pie one evening. I'm really happy we had the chance of meeting them.
My daughter was scared of the bugs but ended up going fishing with her dad 3 mornings and said she had had a great time, she also got a jack and has some wonderful pictures to show.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
anchorage
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

My wife and I spent last week in Tarponville. The owners, Jim and Anne, made us feel like family the whole week. They were very knowledgable of the area and it was a great time sitting around the dinner table and talking with them. The staff was very friendly and attentive as well and we had a great time with them. The food was prepared Carribean style and was great. We probably ate healthier than we have our whole lives. The staff told us to feel at home and to help ourselves to anything that we needed. The beer was always cold and ready.

Our room was cleaned and our bedding was changed daily. It was nice to just sit on the front deck and relax with a cold beer after a day of fishing. The sea was about 40 yards from our front door and it was calming to watch and listen to the surf every day. This was my first time in a jungle atmosphere and it was awesome, although being from Alaska it was hot at times. Every morning we woke up to the Howler Monkeys and I prepared for a day of fishing. My wife also went on a jungle hike with the lodge manager, Dolphi. She was able to photograph monkeys, sloths, crocodiles, frogs and numerous other flora and fauna.

Now to the fishing. The first 3 days it was kind of tough fishing. Anybody that knows anything about Tarpon knows that they are highly migratory and can be here today and gone tomorrow. I caught a few jacks but we just weren't seeing any tarpon. On about the third day we started to see tarpon around the boat but they just weren't on the bite. On the 4th day of fishing, my last, we had about 30 minutes of fishing left and my guide, Delly, said that we were going to Gandoca to give it one more try. I have to admit that at that time I thought that I wasn't going to realize my dream of catching a Tarpon on a fly rod.

We arrived at Gandoca and and I let loose a cast and let my fly sink a bit and started stripping the fly. First cast and all hell broke loose. Fish on! The Tarpon jumped 3 times and cleared the water by about 4 feet. As the fish took off there were at least another 12 Tarpon jumping around. The bite was on! The fish then made a run that was beyond belief. It went so far into my backing that I thought that he might spool me. I told Delly that we have to chase him but he was already on it. We were able to get almost all of my line back when he took off again. He proceeded to do this 4 or 5 more times. Now, I've caught Halibut and King Salmon but nothing that was even close to being this powerful. After an epic battle we could tell that the fish was beginning to tire. I started to put more pressure on him and I was able to get him to the boat. I asked Delly what time it was and he said it was 12:45. I hooked him at 10:45. A 2 HOUR battle!!! Delly was able to grab the leader and ease the fish to the side of the boat. We were just about ready to put our hands on the fish when the fly just popped out and the fish was gone. I slumped over, totally spent. I have never been that worn out in my life. I'm sure that I was about 2 minutes away from heat exhaustion but I was ecstatic. Finally, a Tarpon on a fly rod!

We've only been back to Alaska a couple of days but we've told some of our friends about our trip and we may have a couple people that want to do that trip so we may be going back to Tarponville again next year.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
leon Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Started as a get warm in the winter to reward my wife,with a sidelight of tarpon. We got plenty of both. My wife doesn't require posh, and was most impressed by the staff's great food and attention to her. Felt more like we were visiting friends the whole time, whether fishing, turtle watching, or just hanging out being warm in March. After losing my first 6 tarpon, I was at a loss to explain my emotion, but would sum it up as I have never had so much fun being unsuccessful in my life. Number 7 did get landed, and it is not if, but when will we and emphasize WE will return. Monkeys for alarm clocks are most effective. Did I mention good food and great guides? Some pleasant intellectual discussions during rainy periods weren't mandatory, but a most pleasant time, and the wood, my what neat stuff. I agree more with George and stlhead, and wonder what it would take to make gigi happy.

Room Tip: Get a GPS on your rental car, and it will take you right there. A whole ocean, who needs a pool? B...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Arnold, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

My fishing Partner and I were at Tarponville in April of 2011 and we are going back agin this year. The people who rate this place as poor are either not fishermen or must need 5 star accomodations. The lodging is more than adequate and the food is typical Carribean fare. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. My friend and I both landed Tarpon on a Fly and jumped at least 20 fish. the coast is exceedingly beautiful as is the jungle setting. This year we are gong to take a day off from fishing and do a jungle tour in the middle of the trip. I would highly recommend Tarponville as a fishing lodge. The creek you have to wade is very shallow and is little price to pay for a stay in a natural wonderland.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

I am an experienced angler and traveller, so I was shocked to see a review of this property that was so negative. My experience there was fantastic!! The fishing was great, and the guides more than competent. But, the accomodations were spectacular. All native hardwoods and a really nice "homey" atmosphere. The food was all home cooked in an Afro-Caribe .style. Every meal was from a family recipe and was delicous. Every night the Howler monkeys serenaded us and we saw lots of sloth and other animals, including a fairly rare dolphin. Since being there I have recommended this place to friends and all have raved about it. Is it possible that the negative review was a competitor? If you want to catch a 100+ pound Tarpon on a fly rod Tarponville should be right at the top of your list!!

Room Tip: Stay in the rooms that are above the kitchen/dining room for up close views of the Howlers.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Tarponville? Share your experiences!