“Nice divecenter!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Punta Uva Dive Center

Punta Uva Dive Center
Punta Uva Beach | Gandoca Manzanillo National Wildlife Refuge, Manzanillo, Costa Rica
2759-9191
Website
Improve this listing
Arnhem, The Netherlands
3 attraction reviews
“Nice divecenter!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I was here for 9 weeks to do my dive master course.
I started with nothing and had to do every single course.
Guillermo, the owner arranged a real nice price, for all the courses together.
He let me stay in the dive master house, on the second floor of the shop for free!
It is really nice, you have an own sleeping room, there is a TV room, and you have a bathroom and kitchen.
When i arrived in Puerto Viejo he picked me up and showed me the building and the area.

Guillermo self is a very nice man, he is funny and very professional at the same time.
He's dive masters and instructor are really nice, I had a really great time with them.
The shop itself is really close to the beach, it is only a 50 meter walk. All the nice dive spots of the area are very close to the shop, so you have small boat rides.
After a dive, you go back to the shop, and there is nice fruits, water and books waiting. There are a lot of books, so you can identify the animals or corals that you saw.
There are a lot of animals end corals at the dive spots, if you are in Puerto Viejo and you dive, don’t hesitate and go to Punta Uva beach and make an appointment, it is worth it.

Visited February 2012

Houston, Texas
13 attraction reviews
“Excellent Discover Scuba Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

My wife got to experience Scuba Diving. The "pool" time is right out in the protected bay.
Not much coral, but lots of pretty fish and wildlife. Dive Masters were excellent. A nice walk along the beach from where we were staying.

Visited July 2011
Montana
“The Essence of Puerto Viejo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Punta Uva Dive Center embodies the essence of Puerto Viejo. Across the globe there are endless versions of beach vacation spots. Some come with Champagne, Hot Towells, and Air Conditioning, while others are nothing more than a sandy outpost with a few locals who can rent you a room. Puerto Viejo is not the type of place that has thousands of tourists with resorts and entertainment, nor is it a lonely outpost. It's a quaint and beautiful villiage of people from all around the globe who got their priorities right, or wrong, depending on what you believe is important in life.
Punta Uva Dive Center and it's owner, Guillermo, radiate the essence of the Pura Vida lifestyle. My wife and I just completed our Open Water Certification with Punta Uva Dive Center, and we have come home now with the feeling that we are part of a family in Punta Uva.
Guillermo picked us up at our Hostel every morning, took us home every day, and even picked us up for a ride into town as he picked up his beautiful kids from school one day. Between diving we discussed everything under the sun from philosophy to politics to world issues. This dive shop is small, providing a level of personal attention that is unequaled elsewhere, but is lacking in nothing other than champagne and fresh hot towells. I'll take idle time on a bench chatting with an instructor who gave up a career as a Lawyer to follow his passion for diving over the Luxury experience you might expect in the Virgin Islands every day of the week.
We have dove with this Dive Center twice over 2 years, and are now currently planning a return trip in October where we plan to dive 2 or 3 times per day for 5 days including a few night dives. Without a doubt we will return to this shop many times over the next few years and I absolutely recommend that if you crave adventure, appreciate sincere people who see you as more than another paycheck, and want to experience a part of the caribbean that most folks believe exists only in the distant past, you should not hesitate to contact Guillermo to schedule your next excursion. You will return home inspired, ready to sell everything you own and move to Puerto Viejo forever.

Visited June 2012
Minot, North Dakota
“PADI Course”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I had an amazing time at the Punta Uva Dive Center. Guillermo, the instructor, was a wonderful teacher. I had never dived in my life and with his excellent instructions, I was able to feel completely comfortable from beginning to end. After my first day of the course, we sat at the restaurant on the beach and had some dinner and he told me about his career in diving. Where the best places to dive were, what diving has done to change his life, and various other details about the world of diving. He made scuba exciting and fun. You can easily see that his life is spent living through the passion of scuba diving and I would recommend to anybody this facility. You will not regret it...

Visited June 2012
London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“Good days diving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

My husband and I spent a day diving with Punta Uva Divers on our honeymoon and had an excellent time. Experienced divers with nearly 500 dives logged between us we have dived throughout the UK and across the Indo-Pacific but neither of us had ever dived in the Caribbean before. We'd heard that the majority of the Caribbean was not in good condition and so did not have high expectations but were pleasantly surprised at the coral and marine life living in and amongst it.

I would imagine that the diving would get a bit monotonous after a while but there was plenty around to keep us entertained for the two dives that we did, the staff were friendly and afterwards were happy for us to hang out with them for a while looking through their fish, coral and invertebrate ID books for us to ID all of the marine life we'd seen before we forgot it all. If you're a diver and you're spending a few days on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica it's definitely worth booking a day's diving here.

Visited November 2011