“lovely place and setting” 4 of 5 stars

Thurnham Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thurnham LA2 0DT, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurnham
Leeds, United Kingdom
“lovely place and setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

stayed here with teenagers for a weekend, accommodation was excellent, very spacious and well appointed, plenty of bars and restaurants within driving distance but pretty pricey, so we ate in as excellent self catering facilities, gym and pool good and grounds lovely. there was a wII sports to keep the teenagers happy. Lancaster is not such a lovely place and we did not eat there, but only 25-35 mins away we went to Clevelys, there is a newish complex there with Vue cinema, ice skating and a lovely beach and ate at the Crown Carveries, The Tramway,excellent value for money. Blackpool not far away was disappointing but Morecambe a pleasant surprise and lovely promenade, will be going again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Preston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Visited after holidaying in the lakes. So decided to have lunch to end the week. We were given a menu then waited for ages before anyone took order. I ordered what on the menu was favourite chicken liver pate, I think the chickens liver had passed this one by. My sister had ordered creamy garlic mushrooms that arrived on a soggy piece of bread. Mains arrived and sis had ordered fish in batter. IT was cremated and burnt. Shocking!!! Still cannot believe that the waitress brought it out of the kitchen. We immediately sent the doomed fish back and said if chef couldn't produce one we certainly didn't want to be offered another. WHY!!! would you serve that.
I ordered gammon (tiny piece) but it was the burnt oil taste in my mouth for the rest of the day that stayed with me. Would not recommend this place. While we were there another table were sending food back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Thurnham Hall, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
We’re sorry to read of your concerns regarding the restaurant at Thurnham Hall. We must advise that your review came as a surprise to us, as we receive very few complaints about the on-site restaurant facilities at our resorts.

We strive to maintain a high standard of food quality – the resort’s catering staff make every effort to ensure that diners are satisfied, and we’re sorry that you were disappointed on this occasion. We are proud of our restaurant, and we apologise if it was not to your liking. We hope that this has not marred any future dealings you may have with us, and we look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Resort Manager
Lorna Cardwell
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We recently spent a week on a time share exchange at Thurnham Hall near Lancaster. This is a class facility and is exceptionally well maintained. The setting is superb - typically English countryside - and the accommodation is very comfortable. The rooms are fitted with quality accessories making self catering very easy. The pool and fitness center were great and not overcrowded with children. The service was really good. The reception went beyond the call of duty to satisfy our detailed requirements while housekeeping refused to give up until they successfully resolved a particularly difficult electrical connection problem with my laptop. My only recommendation would be to include the wi-fi internet in the basic rate and charge separately for this service. Having said that, the connection worked very well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Matlock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Writing this review sat in our spacious /modern 2 bed unit 42" Tv in the lounge (also a Sony tv in master bedroom) - his and her washbasins in both the main bathroom and in the on suite and also we have a large balcony area ,some units have large patios - the staff are very friendly and efficient,- fantastic gardens with wild rabbits and lots of ducks around the pond, very nice swimming pool , whirlpool and fitness centre - just had the fantastic fish and chips mealin the restaraunt that took some finishing (and I CAN eat) and reasonably price at restaraunt prices

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Having just returned from Thurnham Hall I am writing to say we had a wonderful time. the accommodation is excellent, however like most of Diamond resorts the beds were very hard and we had to put the spare quilt underneath a sheet and the pillows were not comformatable to sleep on. I would recommend you take your own pillows.
The setting is lovely and there is a canal within a short walking distance where you can have a lovely stroll. We did alot of walking in lancashire and found the countryside lovely and comparable to lake district without the commercialism of the lakes. the food was excellent in the dining room and the staff were very helpful and friendly

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

This was a weekend break. A couple of nights in 5* accommodation. A self catering suite that had everything, including views of the large pond, ducks and rabbits. We took full advantage of the leisure facilities although the spa was not available for some reason. The grounds and house are lovely and steeped in local history the Lancashire canal is a short walk away and the tow path provides an easy walk. The staff were helpful and very friendly especially at reception. The in house dining was average. The service was friendly but not professioinal. The food was ok but overpriced. We would certainly stay again but probably eat out. Our rating of very good is for the accommodation.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Pontefract, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We stayed at Thurnham for a short break with freinds. The accomadation was great and would highly recomend it. The down side was the distictly average food in the onsite restaurant. I was very disappointed by the reaction of the staff when I complained about a "VERY WELL DONE" fillet steak which was supposed to be medium not creamated. At the time the food was put down on the table I called the waitress back and made her aware of the problem. I was given the option of another meal, I made the coice to keep the one I had as I would of been sat eating alone with everyone else impatiently waiting for me to finish.

When the waitress came back and asked if everyone had enjoyed the food I made her aware that I was far from happy with mine. I got a rather stern talking to about me being given the option to change it! I was given the option of a desert but choose not to have one. When the bill arrived my meal was the most expensive thing on it! No discount or maybe a complimentary drink offered! Not really even an apology! Sadly this really put a dampner on our stay. We found the rest of the place very nice but the food lacking. I would probably go back but I would definatly not use the restaurant again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Thurnham Hall? Share your experiences!