“What a treat” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Inn   |   16 Main St, Bentham LA2 7HE, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Bentham B&B and Inns
“What a treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

I would like to thank Darren, Amanda and all the staff for an excellent weekend. We booked our room through a WOWcher deal and needed to discuss our booking with Darren, the owner, (chief cook and bottle washer) and found him to be very approachable and helpful.
The parking facilities could be mentioned on their web site, but doesn't take much to figure it out and follow the signs to the public car park to the rear of the Inn.
The rooms were clean, tidy and acceptable for the rates. The bed very comfortable. There were a few minor issues about the rooms which didn't affect our stay whatsoever.
There was live music on the Friday night. A nice surprise to our stay. We chose to eat in the dining area. All meals were well prepared and plentiful portions.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed here this weekend (14 -16 June 2013) as we had brought a Wowcher deal. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The food was very good and well priced. (I definitely recommend the Belly of Pork). The accommodation was very nice and clean. They had very good entertainment in the evening with a great variety of drinks. A great location in a very friendly village with some great walks and lots of places to visit around them.

We would definitely go again and wouldn't hesitate recommending them to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights this week with our two dogs. As we arrived early we found the public car park behind the hotel quiet easily following the road signs and walked to he main entrance to ask the time of check in. Our room would be ready by 2pm so we explored the High Street (which was better than I expected) and found the river and its local trails. Back at The Coach House we were shown to our room Gaping Gill. The room was split level, the bedroom well furnished and clean, and the bathroom up a couple of stairs with toiletries provided. Although the bath was short it was fine but might be a problem for someone tall although the shower was fantastic nd really powerful. We were shown the shortcut to the car park - down the fire escape and out of the yard gate - which was ideal for taking the dogs out for their early and late walk, although they were allowed to use the main entrance and allowed in the bar.
Breakfast was included both mornings and it was really good, self serve cereal and fruit juice, tea and coffee and cooked to order bacon sausage eggs mushrooms tomatoes beans black pudding! We ate in the restaurant both evenings. Seared scallops for starters, supreme of chicken with sauté veg and husbands black pudding starter and belly pork main course were out of this world! The second evening was Steak Night so pâté to start followed by fillet steak for me and mixed grill for him with a glass of wine included in the price - we could not fault it!
All in all it was a very nice place, nice hotel, good value for money and people trying very hard in a very competitive industry. Our break far outweighed my expectations and would definitely recommend it especially if you're taking your four legged friend. We will definitely be paying another visit in the future!

Room Tip: Gaping gill on the side of the building - a couple of stairs down to bedroom and a couple of stairs...
NW England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Stayed earlier this week on a voucher...incredible value. Room was small but adequate, and whilst the soundproofing leaves something to be desired, the place wasnt raucous! Ate in both nights...food very good in terms of quality and value. Wonderful area to go fellwalking, with the Dales only a few miles away, and Forest of Bowland on the doorstep

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I booked a two night B&B deal for here for two people through Wowcher and I can now understand why they are desperate for the business. The Inn is a very pretty old building from the front, set slightly back from the main high street in Bentham. There is plenty of parking to the rear, although to someone unfamiliar with the area it's not very easy to get to and there's no mention of it on their 'site.

We were greeted by one of the bar staff who was polite enough, but not particularly friendly either (a theme that we found amongst all of the staff during our stay). She showed us up to our room - Gaping Gill - and it was only as she was leaving that she mentioned that there was a late night bar that night with music and a live singer and didn't we know about it? No, we didn't!!! How could we if no one told us about it at the time of booking or prior to our arrival? If I had been told, I would not have booked here. And if we hadn't just travelled nearly 300 miles, I would have left at that point.

Anyway, our room was a breeze block extension to the original property with no "exposed beams" that the 'site promised. It was a reasonable size, split over two levels. The bedroom had a double bed with plenty of pillows, a duvet and a throw, a wardrobe (with drawers that couldn't be opened due to the room layout), a dusty armchair, a desk and two bedside cabinets. The decor was neutral, a bit dated and not really to my taste, although that's subjective and unimportant. What was important was the filth around the skirting and behind the bed, the mouse droppings, the unvacuumed carpet and the dust. There were also the usual tea and coffee making facilities (that were replaced daily), a travel hairdryer that didn't work properly and a reasonable size TV. The mouldy framed window overlooked the row of cottages behind the pub, so for the sake of decency, we sadly had to keep the curtains closed most of the time. Despite it being mid May, it was very cold and there was no heating. Apparently, it was set on "summer time" and only on for a couple of hours in the afternoon, which was totally useless when it was cold at night. We fared better than the other poor, frozen guests as we had the foresight to take our own fan heater and hot water bottle!

The bathroom was a lot better. The decor was modern and neutral and fairly clean. That was let down by the peeling paint on the ceiling, the dirty extractor fan, the broken lights, the broken towel rail that was still half attached to the wall and the missing screw cover on one side of the mirror. All minor things that point to a lack of care and interest by the management. However, the power shower over the bath was fantastic and it was the best thing about our entire stay. There were plenty of good quality towels that weren't changed over our stay, although to be fair, we didn't ask them to be either.

We decided to eat downstairs in the bar area on the first night. There was plenty of seating in the pretty, cosy, beamed main pub, but the table we chose hadn't been cleaned and needed a good wiping down before it was set. The menu was ok with a reasonable choice and priced at an average(ish!) of £12 for the mains, with an emphasis on locally produced food, especially the meat. It didn't resemble the sample menu on the website much though. I asked if there was a specials board and was told, a bit patronisingly, that there were two sides to the menu. As the menus were well used and obviously not printed daily, that defeats the whole point of having daily specials somewhat! My partner chose the mixed grill and I asked for the lamb. Several minutes later, an apologetic barman came over and said there wasn't any lamb! Considering how early it was and how few people were eating there, food shouldn't have sold out at that point and if it had, the kitchen should have let the bar staff know. So I asked for the cod and chips instead.

The food arrived quickly, in generous portions and hot. My partner said the mixed grill was average, neither good nor bad. My chips were great. My cod on the other hand was obviously previously frozen and cooked in the oven and stale bordering on off (as my stomach later made very clear). I should have really sent it back, but I was hungry and didn't want to make a big fuss, so I just let the staff know it wasn't fresh after I'd eaten it.

As we'd feared, the late night music kept us awake until 1am when it died down. I completely understand that pubs need to diversify to survive and if the music night brings in extra money for them, then that's great. The need of the paying guests need to be taken into account as well and to give them rooms directly over the bar without prior warning is ridiculous. I mentioned the lack of sleep and the noise the next morning after breakfast to the manager/owner/chef (I'm guessing at his role there as he never introduced himself properly). There was no hint of an apology and his attitude was very defensive.

Breakfast at The Coach House was a very hit and miss affair. Actually getting downstairs was a rather farcical affair. none of the staff had told us what time food was served in the morning and there was no information either in the room or on the website. It turned out it was at 9am and we were effectively locked upstairs until that point when the access to the stairs was unlocked. Apparently, we were expected to go out onto the fire escape, walk around the outside of the pub in the rain and hope that the front door was open, again only at 9am. As no one had told us about that, we ended up finding our way into the bar via the grubby, sticky floored kitchen. It's not surprising that they didn't want guests seeing in there! We then had to suffer being told off by the manager for daring to be ten minutes early and not using the correct route.

There was no decaf tea or coffee for fussy me and the regular filter coffee was, according to others, terrible. There was orange juice, a choice of four cereals or a cooked breakfast; there wasn't any fruit of yogurts which I would've liked to have seen there. My partner had the full English that he said was very good. I initially asked for porridge, which they didn't have, so asked for soft boiled eggs and toast as a second choice. Both mornings I asked for that I ended up with hard boiled eggs instead. Yes, it's a bit of a petty moan, but a chef should be able to cook an egg properly.

It came as a huge relief when we checked out on the Sunday morning. It really sums up the attitude here that when we checked out, the manager was in the bar area and didn't even say goodbye to us us we left, and he most certainly didn't enquire about our stay. I know this was a cheap deal and I wasn't expecting The Hilton, but I did expect cleanliness, good communication and a bit of respect from the people taking my money, all of which were in a very short supply at The Coach House Inn.

Darren J, Owner at The Coach House Inn, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Omg where do I start - this woman was unreal complained continually and talked to the staff like they were servants so if she feels mis treated hard luck I treat people how they treat me, now to cover a few points yes behind the bed was dusty and its been cleaned, but a breeze block extension over looking other property heaven forbid an extension made from brick with windows!
As for the music I do not think 1am is late for a pub on a Friday evening. for the food we served five fish and chips four were great may be yours was from a different shoal, i did say to the waiting on staff that i would change the meal but all that was left was a scrap of batter, but I know it came from ice box that our fish monger delivered on Wednesday that week, we also do not do daily specials as our menu changes seasonally, and if our supplier is out of lamb rump there not much I can do, our breakfast range is sufficient, but if we would have been serving smoked salmon and cavier you would find fault. As for the rooms directly above the bar? It's a pub where else do you expect them to be, and to sign off about me not asking you how your stay was well who brings a fan heater away with them yes somebody looking to complain from the outset trying to get something for nothing and to say you were glad to leave well not as glad as i was, as I said earlier treat people how they treat you until your nice to people don't expect them to be nice back
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

There are at least three listings for The Coach House on Tripadviser. I would strongly recommend that you read them all before you decide to stay or eat here. I have chose to use this listing for my review as it's the one linked to their website.

Widnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights over the May bank holiday. The staff were lovely and both the room and food were excellent. The only drawback is the noise. The pub has a vocalist singing on a Friday night that finishes about 1 am but it takes until 2:30am for the pub to empty and the noise to settle. The Saturday night was also noisy until 2am. The pub is situated in a hollow in the town so noise from the street is amplified. Also opposite the pub a church clock chimes hourly .It stops at midnight and restarts at 6 am? It'sŷ such a shame as the pub,the food, and the location was lovely but I will not be going back.

Room Tip: We stayed in wheynsde room which is excellent . Speaking to other guests all happy. With accomodati...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Coach House Inn? Share your experiences!