“We Love Mario's!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
“We Love Mario's!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

This is a fantastic little restaurant! The food is very authentic, the menu is small, but this is how you know that they are great at what they do have and make. Everything is how mama makes it, delicious!

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Really nice food and great atmosphere! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

This place was recommended to me by a friend but I took a while to visit. My mistake! Should have gone earlier, the good was fantastic, the wine great and the service and atmosphere really good. Sat outside on a nice warm night and loved it. Good price wise too :)

“Average.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Unfortunately, after visiting Mario's twice now, I can only say its average at best

The idea is nice, authentic Italian in a rustic environment, but in reality I think the food it a bit bland, and the prices are expensive for what is effectively sitting in a café

I was hoping the first try was a bad one off, poor selections by me, but after giving it another go, I wont be going back.

Mixed Bruschetta for example, is £6 for which is 1 bit of toast, with 4 cherry tomatoes and some aubergine. We also had the special of meatballs, which as a lot of spaghetti in a plain tomatoes sauce and 3 meatballs and the "Mario's Special" pizza, which unfortunately I don't think would make the cut at pizza express, let alone feeling authentic.

The prices are not completely out of line that you would expect at restaurants (the pizza was £12.50 for example, beers £3.6 for a bottle) but it felt a lot for the food and atmosphere we got in return.

As this is walking distance from my house, I would love to love it, but its only an average review from me.

• Visited August 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Maximus98, Manager at Mario's Pizzeria, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Lauren,
I'm very sorry that you have not been satisfied, in both your visits to Mario' Pizzeria.
Everyone has their taste and expectations, but I would like to disagree with your comments, which are not in line with the rest of our dear customers.
I don't understand what you mean for "BLAND".
All our recipes come from Authentic Italian Cuisine and are handed down from generation to generation.
I would like to start with the Bruschetta, which is not just a piece of toast, like you said, but is homemade bread, cooked in the Wood Oven with top quality Italian flour "Spadoni", Sicilian cherry tomatoes, Sicilian aubergines and courgettes. Price range £4.95/£5.75.
What to say about "The Spaghetti Meatballs like Mama use to make"?
It does exactly what it written on the "BOARD". I got to assure you, it's our best seller dish, loved by kids and adults.
The Mario Special Pizza, made with authentic Tuscan sausage, Italian salami, chicken and a lot of mozzarella Galbani is one of the most loved pizza here at Mario's, which you are comparing to Pizza Express. Please, next time you go there, check the amount of ingredients, specially the mozzarella.
As far as the beer Peroni is concerned, I never been to a restaurant, pizzeria, bar,coffee shop and the prize is less then £3.95.
I don't want to think that your comment is a bit suspicious, but the rest of our clientele WILL.
Mario's Pizzeria
TAG30
“great food at reasonable cost.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Having read the reviews on TA, we decided to give this place a try having recently moved to the area. We were slightly put off when we arrived as it seemed little more than a small cafe from the outside but we decided to trust the reviewers of TA and entered the restaurant. We were greeted by the very friendly Mario who explained the menu and showed us the specials. We ordered starters of carpaccio of tuna and the bruschetta. They were beautiful. I have never tasted tomatoes like it. Our mains were just as good and the portions are just right to leave room for desert. My daughter ordered a pizza which she enjoyed and was nice and thin and crispy not doughy like many other places. For desert we ordered the cheesecake which was just as amazing. We enjoyed this restaurant so much that we decided to go back again on fathers day where we enjoyed another lovely meal. The Gnocchi and meatballs were to die for and the complementary limencello to end the meal was a nice touch. The menu is limited but this just shows each dish is fresh and made to order. However, having been there twice now, im hoping the specials are different when we go back.
Yes the restaurant is very small and the toilet is through the kitchen but do not let this put you off visiting. If, like me, you visit a restaurant for the food and ambience then this place has both. A word of warning though, If you have a large group you will need to book in advance due to the popularity and the size. We were advised that the restaurant was going to be extended into next door so these problems may soon be overcome.

• Visited July 2014
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Had heard about Marios and decided to try it last night for dinner - so pleased we did. We had a fantastic evening! We were made to feel welcome immediately, service was brilliant, delicious authentic Italian food - one of the best pizzas I have ever had and so reasonably priced. Have decided on Marios to celebrate my brothers birthday at the end of the month. Cannot speak highly enough of this little gem!!

• Visited August 2014