“Why Take A Chance ???” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 7 Hawkhurst B&B and Inns
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
“Why Take A Chance ???”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We were staying locally, and the Queens Inn was well recommended when we checked on Tripadvisor. We noticed a few poor reviews, but decided to give them the benefit of the doubt.

This was a big mistake !!!

The prices are expensive for the food offered. The dish I ordered, "Roast shoulder of Lamb" (£15.50 iirc), turned out to be shredded, pressed into a small pot, and turned onto a plate. For me, it was like ordering a steak, and being served a burger !

That aside, whilst still having the main dishs available, they had run out of the advertised side dishes, so mash, instead of Dauphinois, my plate was cold, as was the food, and bland.

My God sun changed his main dish, because they'd run out of the advertised side, and opted for the "safe" option of steak, & "thrice" cooked chips. The steak was ok, but the chips were foul, and tasted as they looked. They were a dark oily colour, overly firm, and tasted of burnt oil. They had barely seen the pan once, let alone "thrice".

The staff were friendly, and polite, however, they were very young, and really didn't know how to deal with the complain about the food.

The bill came to £56.00 for one starter, two mains, and a few drinks. expensive for what we had if the meal was good, but if it was good, you don't mind !!!

So, when you come across the Queens Head HAWKHURST, on Trpadvisor, or another review site, take note of the poor reviews, they may be out numbered by the good reviews, but WHY TAKE A CHANCE, we did, and regret it. Find somewhere else to enjoy a meal !!!

Room Tip: We had meal only
Eleanor12, Owner at The Queen's Inn, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Well I am absolutely speechless that someone can be quite frankly so mean & try to ruin a young businesses reputation so harshly. It really is a saving grace that intelligent people make up there own minds & can see through reviews that are quite simply put on here to sabotage a business…….1 review?????? makes you think! So thank you, I as the owner who lives on site & is present every single day have never heard of this complaint BUT I am sure you will have people flocking to another establishment in the area.

We are nice people, that are striving to provide a lovely, welcoming, friendly place for people to come & enjoy, meet up with friends & relax. We work extremely hard to achieve this so it is very, very upsetting when you read such nasty reviews. There is having an opinion & there is being down right rude.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

A perfect place for a relaxing break in the heart of the Kent countryside. Great hospitality from all the staff - a wonderfully warm atmosphere.

The rooms had everything needed to make the stay stress free - great decor. We ate in the restaurant both nights - very good menu excellently cooked, presented and served.

Great choice on the breakfast menu too!

Many thanks to all - congratulations on a much to be recommended hotel and restaurant

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are probably quieter - best to avoid a room over the kitchen if the hotel is host...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
New Romney, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The food was great but the prices were high.
I had the steak and expected slightly better for the price.
Starters were great, as was dessert. Staff were more than helpful.
Despite the prices, it was still a pleasure to eat here.

Cranbrook, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Booked and ordered in advance off the Xmas menu for a small number of people, however the restaurant was busy with other larger parties on this evening. Food arrived, good starters, but what a disappointing main course, The turkey dinner consisted of 1 small slice of turkey cleverly balanced on sausage meat and stuffing and covered with gravy to disguise the meagre amount.
There was no excusing this as we had ordered in advance. My first visit to The Queens and such a disappointment for what was an expensive pre Xmas meal.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

From the minute we walked in until the time we left the staff were friendly and welcoming.
The decor was stunning and the free upgrade was definitely an added bonus. The bed was huge and comfortable, the bath tub and overhead shower unit a real treat and we really appreciated the brownies, decent tea, fresh milk and coffee pod machine.
The dinner and breakfast menus were very varied and our choices delicious.
Can't recommend this place enough and our only regret was we couldn't stay another night.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

We only stayed one night but I can not speak highly enough of this lovely hotel. Full of character & charm The Queen's Inn is a perfect combination of old world original features like wooden beams & fire places mixed with modern day comfort. So much thought has been put into all of the interior design & we were over the moon with our room which had a double bed big enough to comfortably sleep four. Both the bedroom & ensuite were spotlessly clean, the bedding was plush with huge soft pillows & the hidden little treat of home made brownies to compliment the tea & coffee making facilities was lovely. Simply have to add that the brownies were to die for.
The owner & staff were wonderful & couldn't do enough for us. They were so friendly that they even offered to drive us to the party we were attending because there was shortage of taxi's in the area. We ate breakfast & lunch at the hotel & both were delicious with generous portion sizes. The red pepper & tomato soup was so enjoyable & the home made chunky chips ...well who can resist them? They have paid so much attention to the small details at The Queen's Inn like the soft, chunky bread they lightly toast for breakfast or the elegant wine glasses that they use to serve your drink & that is what makes the place special. You can socialise in the bar or relax in the very comfy lounge area if you fancy enjoying your drink in comfort.
The Queen's Inn is a lovely place to stay & our only regret was that we couldn't stay longer.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4 which was very spacious & had a lovely ensuite.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Amersham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2014

We live in Buckinghamshire & booked the Queens Inn for a Saturday night ( 27th September ) as we had a function to attend at Great Dixter House just 4 miles away on the Sunday, which started at 11.00 a.m. On arrival the welcome was lovely and the rooms we had booked were as nice as we expected.

Sadly our weekend was ruined because we got no sleep & we had to leave the function on the Sunday early because we were both too tired. A fire door between corridors kept slamming so the rooms shook, every 20 minutes or so from 11.30 p.m. until 2.00 a.m. I tried to find the culprits after each slam, but was unsuccessful. In desperation my wife tried to call an emergency number that was on the room information sheet, but after trying 3 times between 1.30 a.m. & 2.00 a.m. the phone was never answered.

We mentioned all this the following morning at breakfast. The Duty Manager did not apologise and clearly did not believe us. She made comments such as, 'nobody else has complained'; 'it is a Pub after all ' & ' some guests had been at a wedding' ( i.e. somebody was probably drunk ). When I paid, the Duty manager ignored me so I checked out with one of the Waitresses who asked what we were doing that day. I told her but said that we weren't really fit for it because of the lack of sleep & expressed my disappointment at the lack of any concern or an apology, suggesting that this would not be reflected well in on-line reviews.

The Duty Manager rushed into the car park to say that she would have to conduct an investigation & that the Queens Inn had my e-mail address ( i.e. they would write to me ).

We were due to go abroad on holiday 48 hours later, ( on the 30th September ) so on the Monday ( 29th ) I e-mailed to reiterate the problem and our concerns and asked if the results of the investigation could be communicated BEFORE we returned from holiday on the 13th October. My concerns were that the failure of the emergency number needed to be resolved, e.g. what if there was a medical emergency or a fire, for example.

Upon our return from holiday there was no response. I mailed expressing my disappointment and suggesting that any on-line reviews would reflect the lack of any concern. I received a response by return saying that a response was due to be made AFTER we came back off holiday ( why, when the promise & request had been different? ). My motives for following up were questioned and as a result an intended offer of a part refund that would have been made if I hadn't followed up would now not be made !

Need I say more? The suggestion that I was motivated to complain so I could get a refund was appalling. My follow up e-mail was to the point, as we had not received any response before returning from holiday, as promised & as requested. I responded saying that I wouldn't have paid the bill if I was motivated by a refund, and asked for an apology .... I didn't get one.

So, no sleep because of the slamming fire door; no apology or concern at the time; we were not believed; we didn't receive any communication about any outcome of an investigation by e-mail before we returned from holiday, 2 weeks after the event, as promised and as requested, and, in follow up, were accused of complaining for mercenary motives.

Our motivation was to ensure that the emergency system worked & that the fire door could be changed so the slamming stopped. We were thinking of others who might experience the same sleepless night and potentially unsafe surroundings. I wouldn't want to stay in a place that was noisy and had no emergency provision.

Sadly, none of this was recognised in amongst the paranoia of assumed mercenary motives:

Thank you to the Queens Head for the complete lack of concern and total disrespect. This is the worst experience we have had in over 30 years of staying in hundreds of places.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Queen's Inn? Share your experiences!