“Not as bad as I thought it may be” 3 of 5 stars

Sundridge Park Manor
Willoughby Lane off Plaistow Lane, Bromley BR1 3TP, England   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bromley
Brisbane, Australia
“Not as bad as I thought it may be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

I had difficulty finding a hotel for a business trip and chose this as the best option. Reviews of a few sites for this place are very variable. Overall I would say that my experience was also variable. On the whole staff were attentive and helpful, but the hotel has the feel of a venue that is being updated but not quite finished.

Attention to detail is lacking, chipped paint on doors a balloon left in the room from a previous guest!! Evening dinner is not available, you can get limited meals in the bar, there was a choice of 4 main meals the evening I dined in. You have to sit haunched over coffee tables to eat the meal and I ordered fish yet they had no tartare sauce.......odd!
It had the feel of a low end cafe rather than a hotel. There is no room service so for ladies who are alone that would prefer to avoid the World Cup while they eat there was no escape except the local supermarket on the second evening.

The rooms are odd and look unfinished, the bathroom lacked any shelving and there was no luggage rack meaning you have to use the floor!! They are clean and comfortable but the furniture is just sad and old. One of teh windows in my room lacked a curtain and the windows only opened a little which in the warm weather was a pain.

Breakfast was nice, but the breakfast room hadn't been cleared from previous guests and I ate at a table with dirty plates and crumbs initially.

I have to say I wouldn't rush to stay again, but it was OK overall. If ia had no other reasonable choice I would use it. This place has real potential with the rigth investment

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
SE LONDON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

We stayed here as we were attending a wedding. The grounds were stunning and the staff helpful and attentive. The wedding itself was superb and well run, food was lovely. Unfortunately the rooms were not - desperately need an update, but the breakfast was nice, although there were no staff present to 'top up' the buffet with toast, orange juice, tea etc.
My only 'big' problem was the lack of disabled facilities - there were none, not even parking bays, a relative was unable to attend the wedding due to the venue having no disabled toilets, which I think is disgusting. The venue say that its because its a grade listed building but I feel that is no excuse, they were still able to put alarms up which were not 'pretty'. Buck your ideas up and make disabled people welcome by giving them parking bays and toilets - disgraceful for 2010!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

On our wedding night we returned to the hotel to be told to leave the bar because of a party. We were told to take our drinks to our room. A most unpleasent experience. The next morning I told the staff that i wasnt paying till i talked to the manager and left my details. They took the money from my card without my consent the next day and nobody rang me. A most appalling experience. I do not advise anyone to stay here.

Raoul and Sue Bridges

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

comfy room, staff friendly, food was nice, setting lovely, can't compalain

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

My partner and I have just returned from a weekend's break at the Sundridge Park Manor and I can't tell you how beautiful it is!
If it's a modern, boutique hotel you're looking for, you're in the wrong place.

The grounds of the hotel are breathtaking, and the hotel itself is beautiful, glamorous, traditional English haven of tranquil and elegance.

There was a wedding taking place, which looked stunning. I am considering it myself if my partner ever decides to pop the question!

It's the perfect setting for a romantic weekend away from London.
Rooms were comfortable and staff were wonderfully attentive.

Ignore the bad reviews and see for yourself!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Southampton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

This hotel is in desperate need a makeover, the website paints a completely different picture so it can't fail to disappointment. It's so shabby and seems like no one really cares about it or the customers.

Rooms are so bad and really unwelcoming, don't waste your money here.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

We booked 2 rooms for 2 adults and 2 teenagers - but were shown to 1 double room! We were then given the room opposite - there was no attempt to clean it for us despite the fact that people were being shown round the building for a wedding fayre and had left dirt from their shoes.
Staff clearly did not hoover the following day either so the dirt remained on the floor for the duration of our 2 night stay. Both rooms were grubby, TV reception poor, our kettle was completely furred up and the biscuits left in the room were broken!
While I expected a hotel is need of refurbishment as a basic minimum a room should be clean - there is lots of potential as the building is lovely; breakfast was also good.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to Sundridge Park Manor? Share your experiences!