“What a bargain - excellent value for a great hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ponsbourne Park De Vere Venues

You added Ponsbourne Park De Vere Venues to your Saves list
Ponsbourne Park De Vere Venues
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ponsbourne Drive | Nr Hertford, Newgate Street SG13 8QT, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newgate Street
Walsall
“What a bargain - excellent value for a great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stopped at the Ponsbourne Park hotel at very late notice. I had an interview nearby on the Monday morning and as I was nearby for a training course already I decided to stay in a hotel rather than drive back up to the Midlands and then down south again the following day. I chose the hotel because it was only £29 and the reviews on this site seemed ok for the price. I wasn't expecting much but I was very pleasantly surprised.

I did get lost as my sat nav used the postcode to point me to a road a short walk away. Just remember the hotel drive is next to a pub not by some houses! If you put in the address rather than the postcode, you will be fine.

Once I arrived I realised that I had actually selected the wrong date via Expedia on a non refundable rate. The lady at the front desk (Katie) was so helpful. She gave me the wifi code to log in on my laptop in the bar. I contacted Expedia, explained it was a genuine mistake. They spoke to Katie and it was all sorted. I have to say that if all the staff are as polite and helpful as Katie this hotel is head and shoulders above others in customer service.

I read that the rooms were a little tired but mine was very nice. Especially for £29 - how more could you want. It looked very modern and I took some photos too. The bed was comfy, the hotel was quiet. The free wi-fi is a little slow but ok for emails and general browsing the net. Not great for iplayer but I could live with that.

There were some other small things which I really liked - a complimentary (glass) bottle of mineral water in the room, free coffee downstairs and free parking. It does look like it set up for conferences and training but that was fine.

Something which you may want to keep in mind is that check out is at 10am and 11am checkout was £10 more. This was fine for me but can imagine for a personal stay it might be a problem if you want a lazy day in bed. Overall I was very happy - great service, great hotel and one very happy customer.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex had free coffee facilities downstairs
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
PonsManager, Manager at Ponsbourne Park De Vere Venues, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear CheekyKush

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback following your stay at Ponsbourne Park.

It is great to hear that you really enjoyed your stay at Ponsbourne. I have passed your comments on to Katie. We have a great team at Ponsbourne are always aiming to provide exceptional customer service and I am pleased to hear that you found this to be the case. It is always great to pass on our guests comments as a ‘thank you’ for their hard work.

We hope to see you again soon.

Team Ponsbourne.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We decided to stay here for the night for my 30th birthday. I cannot fault any of the staff, in particular the receptionists. They were all so exceptionally friendly and helpful which made a huge difference. The room was an exec deluxe but it felt more like a baron room. A large room with a desk, chest of drawers and a small flat screen in the corner. It was nice enough, but definitely not cosy. The bathroom was good but was a bit tired and old. It was a good hotel, but it needs some kind of revamp. I felt that there were too many pictures of Tesco on the walls, as it is evidentally Tesco's training centre. Outside what is a lovely building are these odd huts. It is quite a confusing place, but pleasant all the same. However, the food in the Bistro was EXCEPTIONAL. I was expecting ping food...but it was fantastic, which was great. FAB bed too!

Lovely place but wouldn't rush back until it's decided what it is...hotel, wedding venue or business centre!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ginger Boo

It is great to hear that you really enjoyed the food in the bistro – we certainly have a great team of chefs. The whole team at Ponsbourne are always aiming to go the extra mile for out guests and provide them with exceptional customer service and I am pleased to hear that you found this to be the case.

As you noted, we are indeed a multifunctional venue offering a great setting for leisure guests, weddings and business clients. I would be happy to review the room in which you stayed to endeavour to give it a more homely feel moving forward.

We hope to see you again soon.

Whaley Bridge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were a party of 4 last night and have previously dined here. We had the set menu at 27.00 very good value and nicely executed food. The staff were pleasant and service was good. However, one of our party had a sea bass main course and requested a fish knife and fork and was told they did not have any and when pressed said that the management made the decision to do away with them. This is not the service I would expect in a restaurant of this type. My husband had steak and was automatically given a steak knife. How many customers did you consult before this irrational decision was made. Come on Pondsborne sharpen up your act. One thing I did notice the restaurant was not busy...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Patricia P

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback following your meal at Ponsbourne Park.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the food in the restaurant and that you found it good value. Also that you found our team pleasant and that they provided you with the service you expected.

It was disappointing to read your comments regarding fish cutlery. As you would expect, we do indeed have fish cutlery within the restaurant, as we have steak knives, and have at no point decided not to have them available.

I have passed your comments onto the restaurant team who have received further training and they will use your feedback moving forward. We hope to see you again soon.

Chester, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here for three nights whilst I was doing some equestrian training. The house itself sits in splendid parkland and the actual building is quite impressive. The public areas still retain some of the original features. It is, however, an odd mix of an average hotel and training centre.

The rooms, whilst perfectly clean, are shabby and a bit on the gloomy side. The bed was comfy and there was plenty of hot water for a bath, but no frills and fancies that one would assume of a De Vere hotel.

The food in the bistro was ok, pricey, but nothing to write home about and as such I ate at the pub on the corner, better food and cheaper. Likewise, breakfast was very dry and not really very appetising. The bar was deserted, just no atmosphere.

On the plus side, the stafff (reception, bistro, bar, chamber maids) were all very pleasant and efficient.

On the whole, it was adequate as a bed for my purposes but in all honesty I wouldn't stay there on a recreational basis.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PonsManager, Manager at Ponsbourne Park De Vere Venues, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear showqa

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the setting of our hotel and that you found our team helpful and efficient.
It was disappointing to read your comments regarding our rooms and bistro. I have passed your comments onto the team who will use the feedback moving forward. We hope to see you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for two nights with 2 children in a huge family room. We used the hotel as a base for trips into London. It's approximately 20 minutes to Cockfosters so the location is perfect. The hotel itself is sat in beautiful countryside and easy to find. The staff are amazing. Everyone we dealt with was so friendly and helpful. Quite a rare experience. Bits of the hotel are tired but the rooms are clean, the food portions are a decent size, well priced and tasty.

We didn't get to use any of the facilities but wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Dr Savage 75

It is always nice to hear that our guests find our team amazing – they take pride in ensuring that every guest enjoys their time here and it is great to be able to forward your comments to them. I am pleased to hear that you also like the location and setting of our hotel as well.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

This is the second year we have returned to ponsbourne. Both on the same weekend for two nights. We arrived at the hotel mid afternoon and on checking in we were asked whether we wanted a newspaper, wake up call rec. We booked in for the Valentine's dinner menu and weren't disappointed, the food was excellent as was the service . We retired to our room and set up to watch a paytv movie. The system was down and the tv channels were very basic. On calling receptio we were told that they had tried to reset the system but it was down across the hotel, to be fair the receptionist did offer to bring her own DVD player in along with some movies. an early night then.

On waking I checked outside the food for the newspaper...no joy. We called reception and asked where it was only to be told that local delivery of the papers was intermittent to say the least. On the whole the hotel although now looking a little tired in some of the room was good for a quiet weekend, but the little things such as really slow WiFi, decent tv channels and no newspaper let it down.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear robstubbs01

I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable meal in our restaurant and that the team looked after you both.

However, I am disappointed that there were a few things that let your stay down such as the TV, wifi and lack of a newspaper. I have passed your feedback to the team for them to take on board and move forward.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed here for one night on 9 February in the main hotel in a front facing room. We decided to come and stay before the hotel in changed into something else.
Our check in was good the receptionist was very pleasant and helpful on arriving at our room we found it to be very clean bright and looked like it have been recently refurbished. The bathroom was very clean and the towels we had no problems with. The bed was very comfortable and all the linen fine.

We had a light lunch in the Bistro which although we only had a starter size was enough as we were eating in the restaurant later. The staff in the Bistro were very good and helpful.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening - first we had a drink in the bar and then went into the restaurant - we had eaten there a few years ago so did not remember it to well. The menu was a set menu which you had about 6 starters, mains and sweets to choose from and we had a lovely meal which we thought was good value and a bottle of Champagne which we also thought was excellent value.

The few grips we had were
a. Because we were in the main house we did here the doors downstairs opening and closing all night which could be very annoying they need to address this.
b. We had a table for two in the restaurant but found the table needed to be larger - whilst they do not pack the tables in the tables for two do need to be about 50% bigger.
c. The check out time is 1000am which we thought was very early as seasoned travellers we have travelled worldwide and have never been asked to leave our room so early 1200 noon is usually the normal time or even 1100 would have been more acceptable.

The overall experience was great the staff very friendly and helpful at all times the food good and the room basically good and acceptable, and would recommend a stay before it's too late

Room Tip: Try to be at the side of the hotel opposite the pool area
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
PonsManager, General Manager at Ponsbourne Park De Vere Venues, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear vacationgirl001,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your valuable feedback. We were gald to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, your feedback has been really useful to us.

We wish to see you again at Ponsbourne soon.

Team Ponsbourne.

Been to Ponsbourne Park De Vere Venues? Share your experiences!