“A Wonderful Discovery!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   El Pescadero, Mexico   |
Stirling, United Kingdom
“A Wonderful Discovery!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

My girlfriend and I spent a lovely three nights at Las Palmas Tropicales. We spent our time there in Casita Oleander, a wonderful ground floor unit comprising of a kitchen bedroom, with en suite bathroom and surrounding porch. The kitchen was a lovely surprise. We had expected minimal cooking utensils, maybe just one pan and a couple of plates and some cutlery, but there was more than enough to cater for most desired dishes. Being mere seconds away from a beautiful beach was another plus, resulting in sunset walks and cooling dips in the beautiful Pacific Ocean. My advice would be to rent a hire car, in the spirit of exploration, as it is about a fifteen minute drive from the nearest large town, Todos Santos, and we certainly enjoyed driving around Baja Sur, discovering interesting things for ourselves to do. Wendy and Bobby were extremely helpful, yet not intrusive, and could be described as the perfect hosts, always available to help, and always with a friendly smile. Best wishes to them, and thank you for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: We stayed in Casita Oleander, a wonderful choice, highly recommend.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Morro Bay, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We just returned from a 6 day stay here and wish we were still there. Bobbie and Wendy and Cohen, their son, are lovely people who are always available for advice, beach chairs and lively chat.

We stayed in Oleander because it is the only casita without stairs and it was fine: clean, plenty of windows and surrounded by palms and flowering shrubs. I would like to suggest a light over the mirror in the bathroom (I need my make up!), and a hanging rod and hangers: I know very few clothes are needed here and of course, we brought too many................our problem, not theirs.

Our hot water faucet needed replacing and Bobbie did it promptly: everything we asked for (not much) was provided with a smile.

We loved it so much here that we are hoping to move down there! this is life as it should be: gorgeous unspoiled scenery, friendly locals, good restaurants and shops (see my restaurant reviews), and a feeling of tranquility that's hard to find these days.

If you like fancy places with prices to match, this may not be for you, but it is a great value: having a kitchen is a plus for breakfasts and the occasional dinner at home.

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs, Oleander is a good choice: it is very private with it's own little...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Guerneville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

My daughter and I bought bus tickets to El Pescadero, and did not know the geography. The bus let us off at the local bus stop and we were on our own. We headed down a dirt road, the wrong dirt road by the way, when finally some friendly locals helped us out and called the hotel. Wendy came to pick us up. We were unprepared and without transportation. Wendy explained the location and that guests usually have a rental car. My daughter and I decided to stay and she took us to a market to stock up on food for our stay. We upgraded to a studio with a kitchen. Bobbie helped us the next day to by picking up fresh fruit and veggies. The room was clean and comfortable, the kitchen was well equipped. Wi Fi worked to meet our needs, e mail and simple searches. The location is idyllic. The beach is gorgeous and just a two minute walk. There is a viewing tower on the property, shaded and quiet, a wonderful place to relax. Wendy and Bobbie were a great help and drove us to Todos Santos to catch the shuttle to the airport. I will stay again, but I will use a rental car to get there!

Room Tip: Having a kitchen is wonderful
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Sierra De la Ventana, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We spent the month of February with Wendy and Bob at Las Palmas Tropicales. The majority of our stay was in Casita Oleander. We also spent a couple of nights in Casita Hibiscus. Wendy and Bob were the perfect hosts, making it clear to us that our ease on our vacation was their highest priority. Needs as mundane as toilet paper and fresh drinking water were met with utmost urgency. Wendy even came to my aid when the dental problems I brought from home demanded immediate attention, using her cell phone with Mexican connections to help get me lined out with an appointment in a place that was accessible to us via bus and foot travel, our chosen means of transportation in Baja
In addition to the kind attentions of Wendy and Bob, Las Palmas Tropiclaes offered great accommodations: pleasant, clean, convenient to beach access, and very comfortable. The kitchen in Casita Oleander came with everything we needed, including salt, pepper, dish soap and containers for left -offers (with fitted lids, even!). Most important to us was the private front porch providing morning sun and afternoon shade. Casita Hibiscus, notably smaller than Oleander, is just one room on the second story nestled amongst the palm fronds. With all the windows, we felt like we were staying in a very comfortable treehouse. The private bathroom and shower room were housed out the door and down a comfortable and well-lit staircase, allowing a peek at the heavens and a fresh sea breeze for that after dark trip to el bano. The main palapa offered an outdoor gathering spot for friends and other renters at Las Palmas Tropicales.
Our friends stayed in Casita del Mar for three nights. After touring our "digs" at Oleander and then at Hibiscus, they felt sure that they had the best place on the property. I think that means all offerings are good at Las Palmas Tropicales.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
NYC, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We were 2 women looking for a safe, comfortable vacation spot. Must haves were ac & security & wi-fi

First, there is a very long dirt road (ruts/rocks) to get there from the highway. [Make sure your rental car is up for this] The compound is small. Really just a driveway with a Palapa (table 4 chairs) near the BBQ & a great beach gazebo on top of the outer wall. Any unit above the ground floor gets an ocean breeze.

We had booked the 2 bedroom (ground floor) because it had ac and we wanted 2 separate bedrooms. The unit is dated. The bedroom has a double bed, small dresser, a few hooks for hanging clothes and an old chair. This was the only place with ac. The 2nd bed was right inside the outer door next to the kitchen. The overhead fan did not work, no ac, no breeze.
Kitchen is a dated 4 top, good fridge, utensils were dated and for the most part plastic.

We arrived towards dark, Bobby was waiting to greet us. The Palapa was right outside with other guests. We realized for privacy that the curtains would have to be closed all around at night for privacy. We also saw that the bolt lock did not work on the inside (just a sliding lock). The wi-fi did not work.

We found Bobby and talked to him about our concerns...which he brushed off as to why do you need ac, the lock never worked and the wi-fi would work outside. Bobby also offered to refund our money if we wanted to leave.

The beach was gorgeous and we decided to give it a try. We were sitting in the Palapa when the lights turned off at 9:30. That night the toilet didn't work. It was so hot in the kitchen bedroom that my friend ended up sleeping in the bedroom. By morning we knew that we were taking Bobby up on his offer.

Seems Bobby didn't mean what he said and started to yell at us and get way too close. We left.
Las Palmas charged us for the 1st night (absolutely), then charged us for 20% of the total stay and added a $25 cleaning charge (not ever mentioned in their website). Booking.com was not much help in resolving this (so don't expect any support from them as you would the larger travel sites). Also, I would NEVER pay in full again. To say I was beyond disapointed that Bobby lied and then tried to bully us doesn't come close....but does speak of both the Cains low honesty. Further more, we were nice enough to immediately notify Booking,com as to the room availabilty and saw they rented it asap. So no loss in income.

Las Palmas is a step above camping. More so for those looking for a no-frills vacation. If you want privacy, might not be the place for you. Wi-fi is spotty. For the price feel there are much better places.

The rest of our vacation was amazing and we plan to return with our families....just not to las Palmas

Room Tip: Rooms above the ground floor. Also the studio has to use a bathroom 1 floor lower from the outside.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
cohenkingston, Owner at Las Palmas Tropicales, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Our guest booked this unit on my booking.com website.
There are multiple photos of each of my casitas listed on the booking.com site as well as my own.
She was not happy with the layout of the casita and decided to leave the next day.
I cancelled the reservation with booking.com when she left. I did not rebook the unit as she states in her review (dont know how she would even know that)
I was told by my booking.com representative that I should not refund her money, that her complaint was unfounded.
She was rude to my other guests and it was a blessing she decided to leave. She was miserable from the moment she entered my property. I knew that there was nothing I could do to make her happy.
I did tell her that I would refund her money minus the 20 % cancellation policy and cleaning fee that is listed on my site as well as the booking.com site. She had no problem with that when I spoke to her.
To say that our place is a step above camping is not worth a response.
Read our other 59 reviews or take a look at our website.
My reputation speaks for itself.
Evergreen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed with Bobby and Wendy a few years ago. They are such awesome people and have a wonderful piece of property. We enjoyed using this as our home base while we explored the area. They gave us great advice on places to visit and made sure we were comfortable. We definitely hope to return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

We were so taken with Las Palmas Tropicales last year that we went back again this year. One doesn't find gems like this very often, so why search elsewhere? Comfortable room, very clean, relaxed vibe, and an excellent beach as close as a backyard. Owners Wendy and Bobby do their utmost to make your stay pleasurable. It's become our home away from home.

Room Tip: All the casitas are attractive and if you don't need a kitchen, the Hibiscus is ideal for a coup...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Las Palmas Tropicales? Share your experiences!