“Expensive, cramped, bad nights sleep.” 2 of 5 stars

You added Lindors Country House Hotel to your Saves list
Lindors Country House Hotel
The Fence, Saint Briavels GL15 6RB, England   |
Harrogate
“Expensive, cramped, bad nights sleep.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed at Lindors as we were attending a family wedding close by.
We booked a family room as we were staying with our two children aged 4 and 6 and as there were no outside cabins available we were allocated a family room in the main house itself.
Staff were courteous although not exactly friendly and the room was just awful. It was located right up in the eaves of the hotel, up several twisty corridors and several flights of stairs.
The room was actually, two adjoining rooms with a bunk bed in one part and a double bed in the other with the bathroom of that room.
It was cramped, hot, desperately in need of airing and very tired. The water pipes made noises all night and when they stopped the roar of the waterfall outside the window kept me awake almost all night!
Breakfast was busy and we had to wait a little for a table. The hot buffet had to be served by a waitress - rather than being self service - health and safety reasons apparently - so it amazes me how so many hotels have self service buffets at all!
The hotel grounds were lovely, although the waterfall was a little off putting so couldn't really let my children wander off too far from me.
In all, at £80 per night I though that the hotel was overpriced and definitely not somewhere I would ever return to!

Room Tip: Avoid the family room in the eaves!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I booked to stay two nights at this Christian Fellowship hotel on a solo walking week. Checking in, I was offered help with my luggage (minimal) which I declined but could have used some guidance on my room location (through a lounge, up stairs, along a corridor, up more stairs, along a bit further and down a flight). I was informed that supper would be at 7pm to suit a group in the hotel. The blurb mentioned there would be no seating plan as they wished guests to mingle. I duly went down to the lounge and struck up a conversation with a lady in the group and when we were ushered through to the dining room, took a seat near her. The group leader then informed me I couldn't sit there and I was ushered by the hotel hostess to a single table, by the entrance door with my back to everyone else in the room, as if I was a social pariah! What sort of hospitality is this? I felt I couldn't stay the extra night and although I got a refund, no apology. Amateur! I stayed in a Travel Lodge and had much better service there.

Room Tip: Be prepared to be forceful and don't go alone!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Rooms on the out dated, tired side, but at that price you really can't complain!! Incredible location, amazing building, and very friendly staff! Didn't do enough exploring, it was literally just an over night stop - would like to go back!

• Stayed April 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were blown away on entry as an lovely Real Meaning large easter egg greeted us in the self catering lodge. What a beautiful gesture! Wonderful activities for the children. Friendly staff. Very well equipped lodges. Major disappointment tarnished the break: as a special treat we had booked ahead to have Easter Sunday lunch there, expecting it to be a special meal-being a Christian guest house. Unfortunately we were the only ones in the restaurant and the meal was just ordinary limited choice of turkey, pork or salmon- ungenerous portions and no greens. 2 adults and 3 kids, no puddings cost us £54 for a meal we didn't want but had committed to. However still 4 stars overall as reflects the otherwise excellent grounds, accomodation, atmosphere, activities, staff and swimming facilities.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed in three of the lodges for a family weekend get together. It worked really well for us. The lodges are very well equipped and good value for money. There is a decent sized swimming pool just next to the lodges. The setting in the Wye Valley is wonderful and the grounds are maintained to a very high standard. We were delighted to be able to take our dog as well and he loved the walks - so many to choose from. We chose to have Sunday lunch in the main house and this was really tasty and to be recommended. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed two nights in this hotel wanting to explore the Forest of Dean. We had a very nice -recently refurbished - room with a comfortable bed. The room was a bit on the small side but the ceiling being high it didn't feel too small.The hotel stand in a beautiful park and has a very pleasant swimming pool. The staff was very welcoming upon arrival. Although the heating was on it still felt cold in the room probably due to insulation (old building, no double glazing), and of course we were there in winter. Finding the Country House was somewhat difficult, don't rely on your sat nav. It would be helpful if there were some signposting on the minor roads leading to the Hotel. Breakfast was average because the food was kept warm and tended to dry out. For someone wanting a continental breakfast only the price is a bit steep for the very limited choice.I would for example have loved to be able to have some "fresh" local cheese for breakfast and not pre-packed tasteless cheese. Other than that we can highly recommend a stay at this hotel, winter or summer!

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We booked a two bedroom lodge on the grounds. There's 5, ours was opposite the indoor pool which is in a large lodge building.
Lodge: spotless, warm, cosy & well equipped.
Pool: use of towels, large changing area. We swam alone each time, lovely in the evening light.
Grounds: very well kept, beautiful. Streams, paths, woods & walks. We even found mistletoe growing.
House: we only visited reception a few times. Very pleasant helpful staff. Lovely log fire roaring.
Its a Christian setting, not that we could tell without reading up on it. Just very calm, peaceful, a respected place.
We saw no children, no cigarettes & no chavs.
Says it all.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Lindors Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!