“Lovely Lunch + Very good service” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Please note that due to the fact that reviews are anonymous we do not respond to comments but if you wish to contact us directly we are happy to reply. A comfortable and relaxed Farm house style restauant situated just off the A120,in the tendring countryside, about 15 minutes drive from Colchester, Harwich, or the Coastal towns of Finton and Clacton. AA rosette awarded for culinary excellence for the last seven successive years,2012 Winners in Essex Fine Food and Drink Awards. Family owned and operated, we offer traditional British food with mediterranean influences, everything is prepared on site using fresh local produce.We pride ourselves in serving food to the highest standard in a relaxed unpretentious style. We welcome well behaved children and offer baby changing facilities, highchairs and booster seats. The children's menu offers dishes prepared to the same high standards using totally natural ingredients. We have a garden and terrace for the warmer weather where you can dine alfresco and open fires for you to sit beside in the cooler months
Clacton-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely Lunch + Very good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I visited the fat goose for lunch back in April but have just had a chance to review it
Had 2 course meal with steak and was very impressed by both the food and the service.
The waitress was very attentive and prompt and kept our drinks filled up

I definitely will return again soon/

Good for our area to have good places to eat

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

essex
“top quality food - helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

i ate here twice during december 2012 - once with a friend, and once with family.
on both occasions the staff were very helpful with my order (recently diagnosed with dairy/egg intolerance).
all meals are prepared fresh so any ammendments to your dietary requirements can be easily accommodated.
beautiful food, enjoyable friendly atmosphere
would definitely recommend a visit

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
restaurantteam, Owner at The Fat Goose, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments.

We are always very happy to welcome diners with various dietary requirements.
It is important to us that we are able to offer innovative and exciting meals to those who otherwise have a very restricted choice available to them.

Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you on another occassion
“Food quality fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Had many xmas meals over the years, but this one stood out for sure, myself and my 10 colleagues came here on the 21st for the set menu £25 for 3 courses. The starter was small, but nice, the main was fantastic! And was a good sized portion, I have passed this resturant every day to and from work and now I have tried it, I will come back for more, I will add a photo of the main meal, which was medalions turkey.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your Christmas meal with us and thank you for posting the photo.
The festive season is a busy time and we pride ourselves on delivering quality food prepared to the highest standards at all times.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the goose throughout 2013
Launceston, United Kingdom
“Christmas get together let down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Booked this restaurant for a christmas get together with family we only get to see twice a year, did my research checked reviews and after much deliberation chose this one for our special night, travelled 5 hours from Cornwall, and what a disapointment! The food was very average, lacked taste and depth, the restaurant was hectic and felt chaotic, no wonder the service charge was added to the bill, a very expensive over £40 a head and none of us were drunk! I'm not one to complain normally, but I'm gutted it really ruined my "special christmas get to gether" If a restaurant is going to big themselves up they should live up to the hype. On the way home we stopped at a service station and had a M&S ready meal and sandwiches, my daughter commented that it was better than the meal last night, I had to agree, so next year its a get together with an M&S spread, plus champagne and I'm sure change out of £400.00

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
restaurantteam, Owner at The Fat Goose, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your recent visit.
Successful restaurants are often hectic and busy during the christmas period and we generally find that our customers enjoy the festive atmosphere rather than sitting in a very quiet and empty restaurant.
The service charge, is displayed at the bottom of every menu page so that customers are totally aware and it also states that it is a discretionary payment.
As far as the food lacking taste and depth and I can only conclude that the rosette which has been awarded for culinary excellence for the fifth year running shows that the food we produce does not obviously match the standard given from your garage ready meal and I sincerley hope this continues.
“eating out with friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

i went their twice in a couple of week s and on both times the meal was great and the service was really good they made you feel very welcome so well done on your customer service shame other places are not so hot on it . the pricing also very good with options from their special menu-and LA a carte my only niggle was the price of the bottle water no ofter of tap water but other than that excellent would go again

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere