“Fabulous service and delicious food” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Tendring
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Please note that due to the fact that reviews are anonymous we do not respond to comments but if you wish to contact us directly we are happy to reply. A comfortable and relaxed Farm house style restauant situated just off the A120,in the tendring countryside, about 15 minutes drive from Colchester, Harwich, or the Coastal towns of Finton and Clacton. AA rosette awarded for culinary excellence for the last seven successive years,2012 Winners in Essex Fine Food and Drink Awards. Family owned and operated, we offer traditional British food with mediterranean influences, everything is prepared on site using fresh local produce.We pride ourselves in serving food to the highest standard in a relaxed unpretentious style. We welcome well behaved children and offer baby changing facilities, highchairs and booster seats. The children's menu offers dishes prepared to the same high standards using totally natural ingredients. We have a garden and terrace for the warmer weather where you can dine alfresco and open fires for you to sit beside in the cooler months
“Fabulous service and delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

The food at the restaurant is divine the service was amazing everyone is so welcoming and helpful. The food I had was cooked to perfection and the decoration of the food was to the highest standard! I would recommend this restaurant to anybody that wants to enjoy a wonderful meal and would recommend it to people who want excellent service! Well done the fat goose for your service but an even bigger well done to the people in the kitchen for producing the outstanding food they offer!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Frinton-On-Sea, United Kingdom
“poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Service completely ruined our night, waitress was rude and scruffy looking. Took ages to order d the where quiet felt ignored and really let down by food. Wont be returning.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
philhambrook-moore, Owner at The Fat Goose, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for your comments!
I am dissapointed to hear that you were unhappy with the service you recieved. we pride ourselves on this element of the business and have recently been awarded the essex life fine food award for customer service. This was judged by impartial visitors to the restaurant, who we had no knowledge of being in attendance.
As for a scruffy, rude waitress, could you let me know when you dined with us so that i can investigate further.
I would further add, I am very proud of the quality of my staff, most of whom have been with me for many years. A real rarity in this industry i think you will agree!
Frinton-On-Sea, United Kingdom
“Just returned home after a great night at The Fat Goose!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

17 of us for a 40th Birthday - great menu choice, everybody's food was fantastic but the best was the service; excellent and friendly, professional and helpful with a smile!

All the food came out on time, together. All of it hot and not a single mistake with the order.

Well done, thank you!

We'll be back

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
restaurantteam, Owner at The Fat Goose, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your special evening with us.
Thank you for your positive comments, especially those concerning the service, as my front of house team have just won the Essex Fine Food and Drink Awards, Customer Service Award 2012 and the restaurant was highly commended for Restaurant of the Year 2012 and
Chef Of The Year 2012
London, United Kingdom
“The worst food I have ever eaten! :(”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Can honestly say it was the worst food I have ever eaten on a night out! Cold under cooked and just awful, actually felt sick!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
If this review is genuine, then rather than leaving an anonymous review,perhaps you could tell me when you visited the restaurant and what you ordered, so that I may investigate the situation and rectify any problem areas.

Yet again we have no record of any dissatisfied diners.
It is very difficult to understand why you did not bring this to the attention of my staff if the food you were served was as bad as stated.

The Fat Goose has just been awarded an AA Rosette for culinary excellence for the fifth year running. This award is not given lightly and a restaurant has to be serving food to a very high standard to receive a rosette,the AA inspectors are very experienced in deciding the quality of the food served.
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
“Fine Food and superb service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We came here for an anniversary lunch upon the recommendation of our friends. I'd checked the menu online and it looked as if it was going to be something a bit special and I must say it didn't disappoint.

We arrived without a reservation and were offered a table straight away, but chose to relax for a bit in the bar area in front of the open fire while we perused the menu. The choices were all very mouthwatering and they also had a specials board with fish/seafood of the day, from which we both maid some choices. I went for haddock and salmon fish cakes to start followed by the monk-fish tail in spicy curry. My husband went for the prawns in garlic & lime and the pan-roasted pork with apple pudding from the á la carte menu.

The restaurant itself is light and airy with a country-kitchen feel. Nothing pretentious.

I cannot fault my choices. The food was served perfectly presented and it was as delicious as it looked. We were also served warm, freshly baked rolls with a choice of butters. if we had one minor critique it would be the apple pudding served with the pork. It was a bit stodgy and an apple dumpling might have been lighter. Still it was very filling and when we asked for a doggy bag it was all wrapped up in a tin-foil basket to take home.

The desserts were delightfully sinful. I had the Turkish-delight cheesecake with exquisite rosewater sorbet and my other-half went for the warm chocolate torte with Bailey's ice cream. Heavenly.

This is certainly somewhere to come for a special treat as the quality of the food is reflected in the price although it is my no means expensive. They also do a 2/3-course set menu which also didn't look too shabby, either.

• Visited November 2012