“Handy for Hull & Hessle, but not my idea of "luxury"” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Redcliff Road, Hessle HU13 0HA, England   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hessle B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brighton
“Handy for Hull & Hessle, but not my idea of "luxury"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

A good, clean, convenient B&B which is a reasonable price. If they dropped the word luxury from the title of it, I'd probably be pleased with it, but as it is, I'm a bit disappointed.

Primark cushions and Sainsbury's basics tissues do not count as luxury items in my book (but then maybe I'm a bit of a snob). I had a cold whilst we were there, and the tissues were an especially poor choice :-)

We had the room on the ground floor at the front of the house, as we had the dog with us. This was convenient, except that it felt that every time the front door opened the dog barked - sorry about that fellow residents. Still, the dog settled in well and was happy enough.

Breakfast was fine, but as someone else remarked, the tinned fruit was a bit disappointing. My husband remarked that for a place labelling itself as luxury there should have been a more local feel to the breakfast, with local sausages/bacon etc

In summary, I'd stay here again because of its convenience, to both the A63 and to the station at Hessle, but I won't be expecting "luxury"

Room Tip: The front of the house has quite a bit of road noise
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

A pleasant room in a bed and breakfast guest house with a family feel. The house is sitauted near the estuary and the Humber bridge in a quiet location. The staff were friendly and welcoming and very helpful when I made a same day booking over the phone. I had an ensuite room which was nicely furnished, well decorated and clean. The breakfast menu offered freshly cooked choices and was taken in a lovely room overlooking the garden. I ate my breakfast watching the rabbits on the lawn - very relaxing!
Parking is available at the front of house. I was offered WiFi access at no cost.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Warwickshire, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Some reviews describe this as an exceptional B&B. We would have to disagree - it is reasonable, but in no way exceptional. We had paid for an upgrade to a garden room (£79 a night), which was acceptable if a little tired. Too much mould on the shower cubicle grouting, no shelves for toiletries, but otherwise the bathroom was OK. Others have complained about the black sheets - ours were at least cream (albeit more polyester than cotton) but the dark brown duvet cover on top was badly faded in the sun, and had some nasty stains on the underside - clearly it doesn't get laundered often enough.

We couldn't understand why the bed felt so hard and lumpy - until we discovered the manky "feather" topper - hard, compacted, stained and lumpy - quite unnecessary when the mattress was fairly new and had a foam padded top surface anyway. Having removed the offending feather topper, the bed was comfortable.

Breakfast - often where a B&B can shine - was disappointing. The cooked offering was average, but the cold buffet very uninspired - the only fruit was trimmed, and the only jam was those dreaded plastic tubs - how difficult is it to put out a dish of fresh marmalade or home made jam?

All in all, this felt like a place that is trading on its title of "luxury B&B" without checking that it is living up to the name. It even charges £2.50 for WiFi - trivial but unecessary.

A good base to visit the outstanding Artisan restaurant in Hessle 10-15 mins walk away (which we did - see separate review) but otherwise don't bother.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are at the back, overlooking the garden and the Humber in the distance - front rooms mi...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Kibworth Beauchamp, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

I love staying at this B & B it has an ambiance you couldn't pay for, if I could bottle it I would be a millionaire as I would be able to sell it by the ton.

Always a welcome and I mean a real welcome almost as if they have been waiting for you to arrive and are pleased to see you.

Food is great you get whatever your heart desires and fresh cooked.

Room are out of this world and very French, ask for the one overlooking the garden it's great and the garden stretches down to the estuary, if your lucky you will just see the lights of ships going by at night but no noise to disturb you.

Regards

Chris
A very satisfied customer/friend because they is how you are treated.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

Stayed for one night on a business trip. I stayed in the single room which had a large double bed. Good result I thought. Rooms very well decorated with alot of class and style.

I felt very welcomed by the owners. Breakfast was lovely too. Juice, cereals and a full English with toast. More toast if you need it. I would recommend this place to anyone staying. I had a peep at the more luxurious rooms. Wow. Gorgeous. Don't get me wrong my room was more than adequate.

The wifi isn't free though as stated. £2.50 for your stay. Not a lot in the scheme of things. All in all a big thumbs up from me.

• Stayed March 2011
Basingstoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

My room was the 'Kingsize' and very well appointed. The decor is fantastic.
It overlooked the beautiful garden.
A fabulous property with excellent hosts and a very good breakfast to set you up for the day.
I would not hesitate in recommending this B & B.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Rotherham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

Comfortable b and b .I would not put it in the luxury class although it is very good value. As a solo traveller ~I had shared bathroom facilities which did cause a few problems.Breakfast was acceptable and very nice, although once again I would not classify as luxury. Good all round value.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Redcliffe House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!