Wanted to go somewhere a bit different outside of Europe for a surf camp. Had already been to Morocco and heard about Senegal and Ghana. In the end, flights were cheaper to Dakar. It was also reassuring to read the great reviews on here and having checked out the website was pretty sure this was what I was looking for.
1) Great location right on Yoff Beach with great beginner waves, near the airport, in a nice neighbourhood with more character than Dakar itself.
2) Marta and Aziz have set up a great home and you really feel like part of the family, eating breakfast and dinner together. The lodge has plenty of chill out areas, wifi, rooms are clean and comfortable if simple.
3) There is plenty to see nearby such as N'Gor Island and local villages
4) Senegalese are friendly and welcoming to foreigners and Dakar itself is full of expats.
5) I met some very cool people having surf lessons at the school - UN staff, pilots, students, NGO workers.
The only thing that could have been better would have been more people at the surf camp. They only cater for 9 surfers. There was an Italian girl and a French girl living/working there but no other surfers the week I was there. However, you do meet plenty of people who live in Dakar and come for surf lessons. Food was good, but I would prefer more meat for dinner especially when you are surfing everyday. Though, I didn't do two surf sessions everyday, preferring to do tourist things or recuperate on some days.
All in all, it was perfect for what I wanted - a place to completely switch off for a week. Really chilled out, friendly lodge and hosts. Yoff beach is gorgeous and I loved every second I spent there.
Aziz was a great surf instructor, pushing me to improve my surfing, even if my stamina let me down. If you can, do some training before you get out there to maximise your time surfing.
Would love to go back.
- Also Known As:
- Malika Surf Camp Senegal/Yoff
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Malika Surf Camp offers two accommodations: the surfhouse in Yoff and the surf lodge in Ngor Island. Both offers double rooms with private bathroom and living room.We provide dinner and breakfast. ... more less