“To avoid” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Les Toits de Palme

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kendwa
Les Toits de Palme
You added Les Toits de Palme to your Saves list
Kendwa Beach | PO Box 2728, Kendwa, Tanzania   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Kendwa B&B and Inns
uk
“To avoid”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I didn't rate this hotel as "terrible" only because of its fantastic location, the facilities were appalling though.
Les Toits de Palme would be a fantastic packpackers' paradise, if only the prices reflected what's on offer. But $80 per night is just far too much for what you get.
We were meant to stay 9 nights but thankfully we left after 4, with a deli belly.
On arrival we thought the place was fantastic, on a beautiful, quiet beach. We soon realised our mistake though. The room smelt of urine, with dubious brown marks on the "bathroom" wall. Everything was dirty. The shower head just hanging off the wall. The water pressure was non existent and "stuff" would come out of the tap with the water.
The food was the worst we had on the whole trip. We are not fussy but it was literally inedible. We had one lunch on arrival and never chose to eat there again. Breakfast was just as bad: everything on the plate at once: eggs touching the fruits and the cold pancake; diluted passion juice. Flies would come out of the sugar pot and jam jar when opened. Ants were everywhere.
Poor stock at the bar, even bottled water was hard to come by.
Although the staff didn't seem to care that much, it did seem that their living condition were actually much worst than guests'. The manager used the free accomodation next to ours one morning so I don't know if they have access to running water themselves. With that in mind it seems that they do their best with what they've got. The cleaner did her best with our room, leaving flowers on the bed etc... but there is only so much she can do if no-one gave her soap to clean with. When talking to staff we realised that they were actually really friendly, and quite struggling to get by. I'm not sure if the owner was around at all.
On a more positive note, the reggae night (every wednesday) was great.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I only have praise for this last true remaining "backpacker" haunt. Yes the bungalows are basic; in comparison with the other dominating 5 star all-inclusive Hotels. But I would argue that the simplicity of this well organized accommodation adds to the charm. The staff at all levels genuinely cares and I can’t thank them enough for such a warm welcome. If its sunset views and tranquillity you are seeking, this could be the place for you. Les Toits de Palme, is situated at the furthest point of Kendwa, hence it's a lot quieter in comparison with the other hotels. Crystal clear ocean is literally at your door step and the snorkelling is not too bad either and not forgetting the immaculate and pristine white sand with palm and coconut trees.

The only wildlife that I had the privilege of sharing my room with was a Praying Mantice and some other fascinating creature that resembled a leaf. Both where not quite in my room, but on the balcony most evenings. I spoke to most other guests over a seven day period and neither complained about accommodation and facilities. The rooms are cleaned daily and I know that they are 100% safe and secure; I paid $30 a night,

Les Toits de Palme is a quiet and peaceful setting, however they do have one party once a week, as it stands that's a Wednesday, so party poopers beware! Incidentally the calamari at this location is a meal that I will never forget, totally fantastic! Most tourists that stay at Kendwa dare not venture to other restaurants, which are located behind the "posh" hotels. Trust me; if you would like to save money and experience the best sea-fish dishes, I suggest that you try out The Fisherman's Restaurant. Here the food is a fraction of the cost and equally as amazing, if not better. But as I am talking about Les Toits de Palme their menu is also very good and also cheaper than the hotels on this short stretch of beach.

The only negative view that I wish to share is the annoyance of the so called local tourist Police. They specialize in making people feel uncomfortable and dare I say it ripping unsuspecting innocent victims. I witnessed two decent people having $200 dollars taken. From what I can gather, for no reason. I'm not trying to put people "off" Zanzibar; however I do feel that the authorities are a suspicious lot and are constantly giving the locals and some tourists a hard time. Fortunately I did not fall into that trap, but lone tourist/backpackers please be aware. Setting that aside, I feel that Zanzibar has a lot to offer, it just depends on how adventurous you are!

Room Tip: All rooms face the pristine ocean, I personally think that the cheaper rooms that are situated highe...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hasselt, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The food was good, hot running water in a very clean bathroom.
You could even buy some fresh fish on the beach and the cook made it for a very small price!
we had a very nice stay here!
The staff was very friendly and open for suggestions.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had booked in this hotel a month before arriving. While we were in our country we gave them a couple of calls just to make sure they still had our reservation. Every time we spoke on the phone they would announce to us that they had changed our room, or that they didnt have a room at this bungalow but in another one, with different prices etc.. Finally they asked for more money in order to keep our initial reservation, which in my opinion is not very decent thing to do... One day before going to zanzibar we called them again and they told us that although we had agreed to pay more money our reservation wasn't kept. Wee booked in the Union and we passed by the toits de palmes and the people who stayed there were not very pleased from what we heard. Just make sure your reservation is kept (if it is possibe to ever keep a reservation in this hotel) and make sure you keep a little extra money in your pockets since they might increase the price no matter what agreement you have made.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Laramie, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

My husband and I had a really bad experience at the Sunset Bungalow restaurant so we ventured down the beach and had a kind woman advise us to eat here and we are so glad she did!! The food was simply delish! The calamari was my favorite and was served with a hearty portion of rice and a veggie--better yet was the price of $8,000 TZN! The food here is SOOO good and offers bigger portions than anywhere else in that area of the beach. It was so good that we ate lunch and dinner here for the remaining 3 nights of our stay at Kendwa. I would absolutely recommend eating here (but please be aware that the service isn't great and after you get your food, you are basically on your own and they don't come check up. They are friendly...but not what we are used to in the States).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Unfortunately we have to agree with the other negative reviewer- while the place is beautiful, kind of secluded from the other places and any crowds, the huts are not clean, there were no hot water ad s promised only rats, the breakfast is terrible, the staff is really rude. Honestly we are not very sensitive pple and usually backpacking, but the is place has no good atmosphere bc of the above mentioned problems. It does not worth the money - for this 80-90 dollars you could get much better huts or rooms in the places nearby. It might work wor 30 dollar but still then the food is inedible and so on.

But we definitely recommend Kendwa bc it was very beautiful and laidback in September! :) Try sunset bungalows or kendwarocks! Other: it also worth to go and have dinners in nungwi and dont miss the snorkelling!

• Stayed September 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

We stayed at Le Toits in December of 2011 after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and seeing that it offered, what we thought, to be good value for money in an area where accommodation is generally more expensive. We budgeted about USD80 for accommodation per night and planned our holiday accordingly, staying first in the South East part of the island, then in the North East, ending our week's stay with two nights planned in Kendwa because we had heard that it was the most spectacular beach. USD80 per night is not cheap accommodation, and one would expect service and facilities a bit above hostel accommodation. Our first 5 nights spent in other accommodation (also at USD80 per night) were fantastic, clean, right on the beach, breakfast included, fresh linen etc etc not five star but what we expected for our money. So, seeing as we were paying the same at Le Toits, we expected a similar standard. We were wrong! As we checked in we were asked to pay our full amount upfront, but as we had not yet seen the rooms we agreed to pay for one night and said we would pay the second night the next day. As you arrive, it looks fantastic...the beach is spectacular and the setting is phenomenal but that is where it ends. The rooms are abysmal... when we walked in there were three large cockroaches on the bare white tiles, the lights are fluorescent, the curtain (net) are torn and stained and were being held up with masking tape, as was the mosquito net. There were no towels, no toilet paper, no hot water, no curtain in the bathroom, which looked like it was incomplete. Floors were dirty, we had one falling apart chair to sit on, and the cupboard is a hole in the wall with planks in it. Breakfast is a shocker too...basically inedible. Sun loungers are provided but there are not enough if the place is fully booked. There is random junk lying around... old tyres, a toilet seated propped against the one palm tree, various other random things. The only nice thing about this place is leaving, which we did after one uncomfortable night. I called the owner to tell her that i was shocked at the amount she was charging for the accommodation, having seen what we could get on other parts of the island, but she said she didn’t care what i had to say and that if people would pay that why shouldn’t she charge that...not interested in the slightest in our concerns. Please don’t get me wrong, I can do rustic, I love camping, have stayed in various hostels on my travels, but for USD80 a night I would expect a little more. Max I would pay for this is USD20 a night, and even then it would only be to experience the amazing beach and surrounding party atmosphere for a night or two. If you want my advice, take your USD80 and stay somewhere where the owner actually cares about providing their guests with a clean, value for money experience...and there are plenty of stunning places in Zanzibar that don’t break the bank, but do offer a lovely experience, sadly, Le Toits is not one of them.

Room Tip: There aren't any... take your money and stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Les Toits de Palme? Share your experiences!