My husband and I have travelled a lot over the past 6 years, and this was by far our favorite place we've found! We visited other areas as well as we were travelling through central america, but this was so remote and peaceful, we just fell in love with it immediately. Our first day there we were greeted by howler monkeys just outside our room, and two adult monkeys and a baby stayed in the tree closest to our room for most of 2 days. In fact one night, we forgot to lock our kitchen door (which was a separate building from the bedroom) and monkeys broke in and stole our bananas and sugar! They left quite a mess too, haha. We went in October, which was the down season, and there were only 4 other guests at the resort during our stay, so we had it pretty much to ourselves. Every time we went down to the private beach owned by the resort, we were the only people there. We went kayaking in the cove, fishing in the ocean, trekking through the jungle, and of course swimming at the beach. There were tiny little hermit crabs all over the beach, and my husband loved playing with them (just like a kid! ha). We stayed in one of the rooms with a plunge pool which I highly recommend, as by the time you walk back from the beach in the hot weather you're ready to get in the water again lol. That being said, there is really no nightlife in that area, so if that's really important to you, be aware of that. We usually go out at night on vacations, but honestly we loved it there so much and there was so much to do, that we never even missed it. The hotel has a restaurant and bar that's open in the evenings, it's just that you can't really go to town unless you want to pay for an expensive taxi ride. We had not one negative experience at Aqua, and the staff was all super friendly and went out of their way to help us with whatever we wanted. We went to Granada before Aqua, and we were suppose to continue on to Costa Rica, but ended up staying at Aqua a few extra days and cutting short Costa Rica because we loved it so much! We usually like to travel somewhere new every vacation, but this is the only place that we know we are definitely returning to in the next few years. It was absolutely perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aqua is a luxurious eco- and wellness resort with a private white-sand beach on Nicaragua's picturesque Emerald Coast. Guest accommodations are set in beautifully crafted Tree Houses on a wooded hillside overlooking the ocean. All have decks; some have full kitchens and outdoor plunge pools. Guests enjoy yoga classes, spa treatments and hiking, and water activities including stand-up paddle boarding, snorkeling, kayaking, surfing and fishing. Our guides take guests for excursions to nearby colonial cities, parks and volcanoes. Aqua's open-air bar/lounge and restaurant, with its wood-burning pizza oven and menu of healthy international cuisine made with local ingredients, are directly adjacent to the beach. The lush forest that envelops Aqua is alive with spider and howler monkeys, and a wide variety of colorful tropical birds. Aqua is the perfect spot for a destination wedding, a honeymoon, an active family vacation -- or a serene getaway where you can enjoy nature and one of the most idyllic beaches in Nicaragua. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Aqua Wellness Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aqua Wellness Hotel Playa Gigante
- Aqua Wellness Resort Nicaragua/Playa Gigante