The people of Nicaragua are wonderful and friendly, the country is charming and the land is full of adventure. Although Aqua had incredible rooms and adequate facilities, the service from all but a few employees was awful.
Aqua's setting is spectacular as it overlooks el pie del gigante and a private beach which is both safe for families and intimate enough for couples. Its treehouses are scattered throughout the forest like no other resort we've visited and it is clear that a great deal of workmanship, quality and design went into the resort creating a very relaxed environment. Its unfortunate that their management assumes that these qualities alone will make for an unforgettable trip. With the exception of Emer (excellent tour guide), Ernesto (surfing) and a few of the other employees (including a gardener who took time to fix a flat tire), the overall service in key areas of the resort was very poor. Reception was nowhere near 'receptive', meals took literally hours to serve in the restaurant and even those who owned timeshares in the resort were complaining regularly about the service.
The developers of the 'resort' stayed near us for the last three days entertaining business colleagues. Upon their arrival, the service just got worse as the limited staff spent their time tending to the needs of their owner. To their credit, management is apparently turning over, but other locals suggested that the issue isn't management, its the owners commitment to developing a memorable resort.
To top it all off - not once in 6 nights and 7 days at Aqua did anyone ask us if we were enjoying our stay. Not the signature of a place we will return to anytime soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aqua is a luxurious eco- and wellness resort with a private white-sand beach on Nicaragua's picturesque Emerald Coast. Guest accommodations are set in beautifully crafted Tree Houses on a wooded hillside overlooking the ocean. All have decks; some have full kitchens and outdoor plunge pools. Guests enjoy yoga classes, spa treatments and hiking, and water activities including stand-up paddle boarding, snorkeling, kayaking, surfing and fishing. Our guides take guests for excursions to nearby colonial cities, parks and volcanoes. Aqua's open-air bar/lounge and restaurant, with its wood-burning pizza oven and menu of healthy international cuisine made with local ingredients, are directly adjacent to the beach. The lush forest that envelops Aqua is alive with spider and howler monkeys, and a wide variety of colorful tropical birds. Aqua is the perfect spot for a destination wedding, a honeymoon, an active family vacation -- or a serene getaway where you can enjoy nature and one of the most idyllic beaches in Nicaragua. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Aqua Wellness Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aqua Wellness Hotel Playa Gigante
- Aqua Wellness Resort Nicaragua/Playa Gigante