“Frontin'” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Playa Gigante
Boca de Nosara, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
“Frontin'”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

spend your travel dollars elsewhere - you can get so much more of all Nicaragua has to offer, for a lot less!!

this place looks real nice from the website and touts themselves as a luxury resort - they are not!

more like a gild facade of a co op with appealing rental cabins attempting to be a hotel with no hospitality experience... a nice location for one or two nights but still way overpriced for what you get and what is readily available in Nicaragua

I came for a retreat that ended up being more work that I imagined it could be,
with 30+ other guests on the property you would think that management of a fancy resort would be thrilled and well prepared to fulfill every guests need...

when arrived, I was injured - this was not taken into account nor any effort made to change our accommodations to the cabinas closer to the beach (besides supplying, upon request, some tape and gauze for my injured foot)

we where housed in one of the top cabins, on the property line close to this cabina there was paved road with fancy houses just above it, and even though we had an inroom safe but we still became somewhat concerned of our safety and belongings as no windows were secured and there was regular traffic on this road beside our cabina - later in the week some guests had to deal with an attempted robbery while walking a trail back to Aqua

reception offered no map and no guide to our room, we wandered around and got lost twice, then went back to reception in order to take a photo of the framed architectual drawings of the property, to use as our map - the cabina was nice, lots of wood and good appliances

there are an immense lot of stairs
and no golf cart to take you down/up the hill - which would be classified as an upscale resort item
- Costa Rica has been using carts in resorts on hills for 20+ years
so if you are taking a retreat or training and you are staying in the upper cabins you will be quite quickly exahusted

they give you a cell phone because there are no phones in the rooms, but no numbers to contact the other members of your group or other cabins, only reception and the restaurant - the cell quickly ran out of minutes after calling these two locations and of course you have to walk down stairs and a ways back to reception in order to get the phone refilled and then they only give you a few more minutes

when we arrived to our cabina there was only one king sized bed, which I found a bit shocking
Aqua made the assumption that my sister and would enjoy sleeping together for 6 nights
we were not notified of any sleeping arrangements like this prior to arrival
when I requested sofa to be made up as a bed, even after 3 times, it didn't happen
even in the cheapest hostel, you get your own bed!
then we find out later in the week, that other people were in the same situation, some who were strangers! huge indiscretion from a real hotel business viewpoint

there was a lot of construction work happening on the same property, more cabinas being built while we were in meditation and yoga practice - hammers, saws, power tools, vehicles - I saw 3 men hand mixing cement (which is illegal in most countries as it burns the skin) knowing workers are often paid less than $2 per hour, this reeked of slave labour - the fact that construction was not paused while a such large group of guests are onsite shows the greed factor of a fraudulent 'wellness' charade

the food quality offered to 'retreat' guests was very poor and repetitive
but when ordering off the menu of the ' restaurant ' which shared the same kitchen
the difference was astoundingly better but overpriced

we paid additional $200 for food on top of the listed week fee of an outrageous $1595

the bathrooms below yoga deck we always locked, so one had to either pee in the bushes and risk being seen by other guests, or walk a ways back to the restaurant to use the toilets there, taking you away from precious practice time with the teacher,
after 5 days these toilets began to reek of back up sewage

no where were there any signs not to place toilet paper or hygienic products down the tubes,
another common notice and practice in Costa Rican businesses for many years

one of the new managers, Natalia, was very beautiful, energetic and bubbly but that too seemed to be an act as she was only available the first and last day of the 'retreat' - I left messages trying to contact her as well as emailed through this service - TripAdvisor - to talk with Trevor (on day 3 of the retreat I was already dissatisfied with the food and sleeping arrangements) I was contacted by someone I didn't know and my emails just got shuffled around, there was some discussion with Natalia and yoga retreat facilitators on the last day, but we only heard excuses, passing of blame, attempted manipulation and lack on knowledge,
there was no offering of resolution nor taking responsibility for the dissatisfaction of myself and sister for this all inclusive 'retreat' package

I notified Aqua of my needs and hopes of enjoyment in staying there weeks prior to attending, also that I would be passing my birthday there, sadly no attempt from the hotel, whatsoever, was made to ensure my week stay there was extra special - these people need a reality check - I wouldn't ever go back

Room Tip: stay in the cabinas close to the beach, yoga deck, restaurant and bar which are at the bottom of a s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
NYC_Trev, Owner at Aqua Wellness Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Anthony.mandela@aquanicaragua.com will be contacting your instructor regarding this retreat – however we wanted to comment on one thing particularly with this review that may be of general interest to tripadvisor readers.

With few exceptions Aqua guests marvel at the handiwork, craftsmanship, ingenuity and situation of the resort on our pristine Redonda bay.

It’s worth noting that while the designs and vision have had North American input, and over three years were spent in collaborative training with our local craftsman in the construction and finish techniques (which do use North American standards - some foreign to Nicaragua), the actual build execution of the resort is 100% Nicaraguan, and proudly so.

The core team that created our treehouses over the last 7 years are all local and live within a 20 km radius of the resort, and for us represent a success story for collaboration between North American vision and Nicaraguan culture.

This quality of workmanship is not something that can be forced from above, but something that comes out of pride from within, and you need only speak to any of our crew team (if your Spanish allows and they are onsite – or the maintenance staff also all came from the construction crews and speak English well) in order to see that spark of ownership they take an a job exceptionally well done. Our workers are all well paid in the local market, and we are happy to continue to work together to develop the skills of our team to create more opportunities for the families who are part of the Aqua team and increase their standing in the rapidly evolving Nicaragua they now compete (strongly) in.

Regarding the specifics of your stay, Anthony and your instructor will need to be in touch about the details, however it does seem you are looking for a "5 star" "yoga resort" experience on a serious "budget", comparing the experience to that of a country that has roughly 20 years head start on Nicaragua -- I’m not sure such an experience exists, but certainly we aim to please so if the communication and arrangements for your retreat were not clear, that is something we certainly can take responsibility for improving.

Aqua Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I just returned from a visit to Nicaragua with my sister. We stayed at a surf camp for several days and then decided to go somewhere that had a spa. This place was so nice! We had great massages, cocktails, and did some paddle boarding. The food is pretty good- overpriced for Nicaragua but you get that at resorts like this. I will also mention that when called to book the hotel the coordinator told us that the lowest price room was $170, however when booking through expedia we found it for $113 a night. When we mentioned this to her she said that wasn't valid anymore so we just booked online for the lower price.. The room was very nice and had hot water which is a treat down there. The rooms aren't very sound proof though- as we heard everything from the room above us. But overall it was a great vacation. Cute monkeys in the trees to greet you every morning. The yoga platform and class was probably my favorite part about this place. The staff was also very nice and helpful. Looking forward to visiting again!!

Room Tip: Ask to be on the top floor if your treehouse is double stacked. Also- if you're lazy and going...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My girlfriend and I were searching for a tropical resort that had some kind of healthy bent to it. Surprisingly I didnt find much that fit the bill until I happened upon Agua. I didnt expect that it would be quite as nice as photos on the website, etc. To our great pleasure it significantly exceed expectations.

The villa (Zenia #1) was beautiful, modern but very appropriate for the surroundings. The whole landscape, views, beach, jungle etc were incredibly special. One tip that I got from a Trip Advisor post that I am glad we followed was to book a villa near the beach as the climb to the higher villas is substantial (but not awful or anything if thats what they have available and you are in ok shape).

We enjoyed the Yoga each morning, yoga deck was gorgeous. Restaurant had great healthy stuff which was a nice option in addition to the local restaurants around Playa Giante, etc. All the staff were really nice and helpful. As with most the Nicaraguan tourist industry they are still learning their way but a bit of patience is always in order during a tropical vacation as far as I am concerned. We got know one of the owners (Dan) while there and I can tell you the intention in creating and running this place are both conscious and mindful.

We took a few day trips set up by the resort which were really fun and had great tour guides. But most of the time we just hung on the beach or in the villa and enjoyed the special magic of Rendona Bay and this gorgeous resort. One of the nicest and coolest places I've ever had the pleasure of spending a week.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

As an avid traveler, I can say my five day vacation at Aqua Wellness Resort was one of the more memorable trips I have taken in quite some time. From planning the details of my stay all the way through check-out, Aqua's staff was professional, considerate and efficient. My room (ocean view penthouse) allowed for breathtaking views of the ocean, mountains and the forest. Monkeys climbing up and down the trees while I sat on my porch in the mornings reading was a nice treat, as was hearing the calming waves of the ocean as I fell asleep every night. The rooms were very comfortable and housekeeping was timely and capable. The spa was wonderful as well. The services were very reasonably priced and the spa employees were excellent - courteous and well-trained. The relaxing setting of the spa provided a beautiful view and I appreciated the gentle crashing of the waves as I received my massages (Aqua massage and Aqua Envelopment where turquoise clay was used during the treatment).

During my stay at Aqua, I also took the time to discover the rest of Nicaragua. I recommend travelers do the same, as it's a country with beautiful landscapes and a lot to offer. Aqua arranged my private tours and provided me with a well-informed, English-speaking guide. The first tour I took was to the cities of Rivas and San Juan del Sur, where I also had the opportunity to zip line in the rain forests there. It was an adventurous, amazing experience which I highly recommend. The second tour I took was to the city of Masaya, where we went to the Masaya National Park to see the active volcanoes and then to Granada, once the capital of Nicaragua. This was also an informative and enjoyable trip.

Highlights of my stay at Aqua included a hike up Pie de Gigante, which provided a stunning view during sunset, kayaking, and laying down on the hammocks on the beach. Eating breakfast, lunch and dinner facing the ocean was also quite remarkable. What also impressed me about Aqua was its ties to its surrounding location. The staff are mostly from the local area and the organic ingredients in the food are from local farmers. Creating a bond and taking pride in the country in this way is commendable.

For me, Aqua was a wonderful place to detach and spend a harmonious few days away from the daily stresses and worries of life. The kindness of the staff, the tranquility of my surroundings and the peace of mind I experienced while at Aqua were unparalleled.

Needless to say I truly enjoyed my time at Aqua and hope to return soon!

Taleen
NYC

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Fajardo, Puerto Rico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I recently returned from my first trip to Nicaragua. I've traveled around the world and have stayed at many luxury and wellness resorts in both 3rd world countries and very well to do countries. Unfortunately, Aqua is neither luxury or a proper wellness resort.

My boyfriend and I are very adventurous travelers. We wanted to explore all of Nicaragua and include some much needed down time at Aqua. So we rented a car in Managua and explored the South of Nicaragua. Nicaragua is an amazingly beautiful country. Yes, it is poor, but the architecture, the landscapes, the beaches, and the people are truly first class. Having said this, I was so disappointed in Aqua. Another reviewer wrote that she felt like it was owned by backpackers that decided to create a resort. I wish I would of read her review before we stayed at Aqua. I could not have agreed more with her. The entire time I was at the resort I felt like I was staying in a "pretend" resort. I honestly felt like I was at a camp ground.

The resort is situated on a beautiful beach. Playa Gigante is not to be missed, but I recommend going directly to the public side of the beach, eating at the small restaurants and talking to the people. Then move on...

As for "luxury." The tree houses are very pretty situated in the woods, and the resort did a good job not disturbing the monkey habitat. You will see monkeys but, because of this your ocean view is not the best ocean view, but the ocean is view-able through the trees.

Each room has a deck. These decks have very uncomfortable handmade wood chairs. There were no cushions on our chairs which made it difficult to sit on and enjoy the sunset. There was also a lack of furniture. An outdoor sofa or hammocks would of been nice to relax. And a dining table would of helped. Our deck not only lacked comfort but had a view of our air conditioner and pipes, which made it hard for me to relax. The esthetics were just off. I noticed that some of the tree houses had bamboo covering their air conditioners and pipes, but ours did not. .

Our room had ants and a spider, but that didn't bother me. I get it, your in the jungle. However, in all the hotels we stayed at in Nicaragua we were given a cell phone by the front desk at check-in. We were not given a phone at Aqua. I first thought they did not have them, but when we got to our room I noticed a small piece of paper with mini bar prices (that were ridiculous for Nicaragua) and a phone number to call if we wanted room service. There is NO book in the room to tell you details about the resort, menus or info about trips, things to do, see, etc, only this one piece of paper. We decided that room service would be a good idea since we were tired so we went to the front desk to ask for a phone. They told us we were NOT allowed to have a phone because we were not staying at the resort for 7 nights. So apparently if you don't spend a weeks worth of money at the resort, you don't count. If an emergency happens or you want to order food, or make spa appointments you are out of luck. You have to somehow get to the front desk, which closes at 10pm. The real kicker is they give you a phone number for emergencies....only we were not allowed to have a phone. Luxury?

The stairs are ridiculous. I work out daily but found the stairs to be brutal. At night, it's impossible to see and the lighting they have is minimal, bring a flash light.

The food at the restaurant was very disappointing, especially since we had had many wonderful meals while traveling through Nicaragua. Nica may be a poor country but the locals know how to cook. Plus the grocery stores are stocked with good/healthy ingredients and good wine. But you won't find that at Aqua. To me, what makes luxury is amazing food that lifts your spirit and creates wellness because it makes you feel good! Not to mention that is what traveling is all about, to experience the amazing food of other cultures. I also felt the menu was lacking wellness in general. Yes, they have smoothies that are healthy and refreshing but that's were it ends.

The service at the entire resort is lacking. While some of the people were very sweet, others were almost mean. We only experienced bad service at Aqua. It's not typical at all for Nicaragua. Everywhere we went we met nice people that were very happy to help us.

As far as wellness, we did not do the yoga. We came to Aqua to spend time with each other and relax. We both have very stressful jobs. That being said I don't know what the yoga was like. We did use the spa and were both disappointed. The girls giving the massages were very sweet, but very young and inexperienced. I have been to wellness resorts in Bali and the Caribbean where they are staffed with men and women that can look into your eyes and know what is ailing your body. They are also full of knowledge to help advise you on diets and healing. The girls at Aqua barley spoke English. The Spa itself was lacking everything. Even the massage oils were off? AND you can't make appointments at the Spa. You can only do this at the front desk. Ohhh yes.. that means more stairs!!!

The worst part of our stay was at the bar. I run a non-profit animal welfare organization for dogs. I fight for animal rights daily and I came to Aqua to clear my head. One night at the bar a small dog named Pedro came to the bar area. He sat on the deck enjoying the sunset with us. He had a collar and the bartender told us he was the neighborhood dog. He was so sweet and we enjoyed having his company. Another table arrived and they did not want the dog around. I understand that some people are not animal people. However, instead of the bartender shooing the dog away or removing him, the bartender kicked him off the deck and Pedro flew through the air onto the beach. This broke my heart. I was so disturbed by the actions of the bartender we checked out of the hotel the following day.

There is no wellness at Aqua. In fact, I felt worse staying at Aqua. I was disappointed by the lack of humanity. How can one heal or rejuvenate their spirit by witnessing cruel actions? Not to mention the service is just depressing. There is no luxury. If you are well traveled, you will be disappointed. Additionally, other reviews said the resort is too expensive and I thought they may have just been budget travelers but after experiencing all the wonders of Nicaragua, I too felt this place was was out of line, especially because the quality is so low. I think I would of been fine with the pricing if we had experienced something great...

Aqua has a big gigantic mountain to climb to reach that status it would like to be. Ohh and if you are an animal lover and you go to Aqua, please give Pedro a hug and a kiss from me. He is so friendly and sweet. I spoke with his family, Aqua was gracious enough to find their email for me, and I told them of the events. They are on vacation and said they were going to have someone take Pedro back to his home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NYC_Trev, Owner at Aqua Wellness Resort, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your comments and we are sorry that your stay at AQUA did not meet your expectations. Management is continually working to improve the quality and service of our resort. We appreciate your feedback and take it very seriously.

AQUA is a co-operative of private villa owners who specially design and care for their properties. Because of this you will notice that no two villas as are alike; each with its own personality and handcrafted flair. Although this makes AQUA unique we are also working very hard to standardize certain aspects such as deck furniture and other eco-considerations (covering all pipes and hoses with bamboo as you noted).

We especially appreciate your comments in regards to information for guests. You will be pleased to know that we are currently in the process of creating and designing room guides which will be printed and placed in all rooms. This directory will contain information extremely relevant for our guests and will help tremendously.

Part of the overall wellness experience at AQUA is the time spent living in harmony with nature. Our villas are built to blend into the mountainside with minimal impact on our environment, and this means that there are indeed many stairs to your villa depending upon where you are located. If you desire to minimize your walking time outdoors during your stay we strongly recommend that you request a beachfront view villa upon making your reservation.

Our restaurant service is also undergoing some needed changes. As you mentioned, we are not perfect and are working to continually elevate the service of our restaurant/bar. We do however wish to make our guests aware of AQUA’s commitment to work with our small neighboring communities; training local Nicaraguan workers while providing jobs and partnerships. We appreciate the understanding and patience of our guests (particularly during periods of high volume) as we work to train our local staff from the ground up. Our staff is friendly, eager to help, and always ready with a smile and warm greeting for our guests. English skills are limited with many of our staff whom do not work at the front desk (Nicaragua has recently made the strong push to develop their tourism industry- which includes English training); yet all of our workers make a strong effort to interact with guests, sharing a friendly greeting in English or Spanish. If a guest at any time has a problem with the service at our resort, we ask that they inform the front desk immediately as we are happy to assist them with their concerns.

Regarding your comments with Pedro, whom we (and the local community in Gigante) all know well, while it's not our desire to make the restaurant or beach zone attractive to local stray animals, it's certainly not our intention to have staff deter them in a rough manner -- and we have spoken with them to guide them on the appropriate way to discourage the local community pets from hanging out in our resort area.

Again we appreciate the time you took to write this review and are more than happy to clarify any questions that our guests and potential visitors may have. Please feel free to give us a call or send an email to reservations@aquanicaragua.com We look forward to serving you in the future!

Attentamente,
AQUA Management
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This was perhaps the most serene, relaxing vacation I've ever taken in my life. Although we usually do city vacations, when Aqua popped up on Jetsetter we knew it was time for a change of pace. Private treehouse steps from the beach at a great price! Here's my summary of this fantastic resort, where yes, we did in fact conceive our first child:

Accommodations:
We ended up splurging a bit and going with one of the one bedroom villas, which is a 2-story suite with a private plunge pool and deck. The villa included a dining table, couch, and kitchen on the 1st floor, and a bathroom, bed, and balcony on the 2nd floor. We were in the Orquidea room, which is important because I believe that not all of the villas include a plunge pool--this one did. I'm extremely glad we went with the suite instead of the single room; the plunge pool provided a nice change of pace when we got tired of the sun and the beach. The resort is rather isolated and there is not a whole lot to do other than relax, so it's extremely important that you enjoy your living space. The kitchen was also a fantastic amenity to have--it allowed us to make our own cocktails from genuine Nicaraguan rum and enjoy them at our leisure on the deck, and saved us some money on drinks to boot. (See photos and my original cocktail recipe here: http://www.perennial-blog.com/2012/05/travel-and-recipe-edition-1-nicaragua.html)

Locale:
We stayed for 5 days at the beginning of May, which is technically the start of the rainy season. We checked the weather daily beforehand and were nervous to find that rain was in the forecast every day. However, upon arrival we were greeted by sunny skies and never felt a drop of rain on our stay--so don't be deterred by a less than stellar forecast. (t seems the rain only occurs sporadically and in pockets, and fortunately it never hit the beach.) The resort has its own beach, which, athough technically not private, is so isolated from the neighboring communities that you are unlikely to find anyone who is not from the resort. During our stay we were frequently the only ones on the beach, which made for a very peaceful and romantic visit. There is a small village about ~1 mile away which is easy to walk to for a change of pace. Other than that, get ready to just stay put, relax, and enjoy the beach and the wildlife.

Service and Amenities:
First off: if you can't handle bugs and wildlife, this is not the place for you. The resort is in a jungle, which means a plethora of insects, and yes, you will find some in your room. There were at least a few ants in our bathroom area every day. Fortunately, no roaches or scorpions, although these do inhabit the area. This does not mean the resort is not clean--it means you are in a jungle. Our room was cleaned and new towels (including beach towels) were provided every morning. The plunge pool was likewise cleaned on a daily basis. Service at the restaurants was a bit hands off, which I sort of prefer. Overall food was fantastic, with only a few misses. If the pizzeria/bakery is open during your stay, it is a must try. The pizzas will rival your favorite home-town pie for sure! Yoga classes occur on a daily basis and are also a must. The classes are held on an open-air deck up the hill overlooking the beach, so your yoga session will be accompanied by an incredible view and sounds of the ocean. Every morning after class my husband commented that I looked the most relaxed he had ever seen me.

Pro-tip:
Have the driver who picks you up from the airport stop at Tola for some supplies before you arrive at the resort. Pick up a bottle of 12 yr. Flor de Cana rum, limes, and club soda. Top that with a 12 pack of Tona beer in cans. Add some snacks for the beach like plantain chips and peanuts. You're set!

In summary, Aqua is a fabulous resort that still feels like a well-kept secret, but it won't be for long. In fact, all of Nicaragua is a well-kept secret, so go there before it explodes and becomes as expensive as Costa Rica. Take your honey, enjoy the alone time, and maybe, if you're lucky, you'll go home with a baby on board.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Graz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

It's an amazing resort, lovely tree houses, very clean, good food, overwhelming friendly staff (everywhere: spa, restaurant, beach, bar, ...), who speaks English enough to communicate, amazing bay and breathtaking nature.
We were there for several days and so we had time to see nearly everything in this resort and around. Wonderful.
Just a few things: if you're there for vacation and yoga, it's not helpful if the management is sitting right beside you in the restaurant to discuss problems or business things. Furthermore the manager never introduced himself, he assumed that everyone knows him. That was irritating. I prefer a friendly welcome and a brief smalltalk in the first days.

All in all it was absolutely amazing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Aqua Wellness Resort? Share your experiences!