“The best way to get a true glimpse of Nicaragua.” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Tours
Attraction Details
Kalispell, Montana USA
3 attraction reviews
“The best way to get a true glimpse of Nicaragua.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband and I recently took this tour during a cruise which stopped in San Juan dell Sur. This tour with Edwin Ruiz was the highlight of the entire cruise. First, it was extremely easy to make our arrangements via email with Edwin and we found this 'ease-of-doing-business' again in his attention to detail in everything we saw/did on the tour. We had a private tour which was in a nice, newer, Toyota SUV with a good air conditioner which made for a very comfortable day of riding. Our tour included a guided walk though the town of Granada, a boat ride in Lake Nicaragua, an 'up-close-and-personal' view of the very active Masaya volcano, a walk to see the beautiful 'crater lake' formed in the Apoyoa volcano, time to roam the big Masaya Marketplace and a very tasty, authentic Nicaraguan lunch. (All entry fees, soft drinks/water, taxes and lunch were included in the one price.) We had a wonderful and informative tour and would highly recommend it to others.

Visited December 2013

Trenton, Canada
“Perfect day in Nicaragua thanks to Edwin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We had no plans to go to Nicaragua during our 1 week vacation in Costa Rica. So glad we changed our minds, the one day visit was not enough to this beautiful country.
The other reviews say it all, our day with Edwin was very educational and enjoyable. We were meant by him at the border where he did all the paper work and took us through the very confusing process of going from Costa Rica to Nicaragua and back again at the end of the day.
The Tour company we used in Costa Rica (Avispa Adventures) passes you over to Edwin and you know and feel you are in safe hands. His knowledge and pride of his country makes the trip. Now we want to go back to see more of this beautiful country.
Macua Tours in Nicaragua and Avispa Adventures in Costa Rica work with each other and are the best!

Visited November 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
“As advertised and highly recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I hired Macua and Edwin to transfer my friends and I from the airport in Costa Rica, to our hotel locations in San Juan del Sur and Guanacaste and then a return to the airport. Everything with Macua and Edwin was as advertised. Edwin requested 50% of the Airport>San Juan Del Sur transfer up front via Pay Pal. I was, of course, nervous about sending money this way but given the number of transfers we had planned with Macua I thought we'd take a chance. We were greeted by our driver Claudio at the airport. As we had just arrived Claudio offered to make bathroom stops or stops to pickup snacks/drinks which we took advantage of and then he drove us to the border where we met with Edwin who escorted us (and arranged for a porter to help with luggage) through the necessary steps at the border. From there he sent us, with our Nicaraguan driver (I can't remember his name, but he was so sweet...despite the language barrier we still had fun driving with him!) who delivered us quickly and safely to the steps of our villa. For the return, Edwin confirmed details via email in advance and our Nicaraguan driver arrived as scheduled for the pickup, helped us with our bags and got us back to Edwin at the border when it was time to bid adieu to SJDS. On the way, he recognized that my friends and I were joking about the Backstreet Boys and even popped in a CD so we could all laugh and listen as we drove. At the border, Edwin again greeted us and walked us through the necessary steps with another porter to help with bags and before we knew it we were back with our driver Claudio in Costa Rica. Everything was very smooth and without issue. Having traveled a significant amount in the developing world, I've yet to experience such a smooth set of transfers and with drivers/businesses that I felt so safe/comfortable with. I will say that Edwin and I had not clearly discussed one of the transfers (my own fault and his) so that there was a bit of confusion on the pricing of the final transfer...like a good business man, he provided a fair price that was in line with what I thought we had agreed to to ensure his business was being paid fairly and that I as the customer was also happy. I can't recommend Edwin and Macua enough and will surely use them again if my travels bring my back to Costa Rica/Nicaragua. Macua also offers some cool day trips...my friends were not interested in taking them so we didn't, but I sure wish we had!

Visited November 2012
Atenas, Costa Rica
“Macuá Tours Rock!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We live in Costa Rica and recently hired Macuá Tours for a border crossings to & from Nicaragua, as well as a day trip to Granada. We had a 100% positive experience with Macuá Tours! Originally we wanted to drive our car into Nicaragua, but the legal requirements are so extensive that we abandoned that idea in favor of a guided pedestrian crossing.
Macuá Tours were recommended to us by B & B 'Casa del Soul' in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. Macuá is owned & operated by Sr. Edwin Ruíz Fuentes, who, together with his associates, provides a first class service for visitors to his country. Being out of your element can be confusing, but Edwin & Co will always make you feel comfortable.
Macuá Tours has an associate on the CR side, Sr. Norman Ubeda, who provided save, covered parking for our car during our stay in Nicaragua. Norman also handled our immigrations forms for exit & entry and guided us to the proper stations in the maze of border buildings. He stayed with us, patiently answering questions, until we actually stepped into Nicaragua. At that point Edwin took over & managed the entry process for us. With these two gentlemen by our side the crossing was a cinch, even for us elderly, easily disoriented people. Edwin on the Nica side & Norman on the CR side are well known to & respected by the border official, so that a process, which may take several nightmarish hours, is reduced to minutes. They also know the periods of least traffic activity and advised us in advance, when we should be ready to cross the border (this is the Pan-American highway, the main NS arterial for the continent. The truck & bus traffic is mind boggling!). Both speak English fluently, which is especially reassuring, if one isn't very proficient in Spanish. Our driver Michael waited for us immediately next to the last passport check and drove us to San Juan del Sur in comfort, while Edwin gave us a quick summary of some of Nicaragua's glorious and tragic past & hope filled future. Edwin is in his last year of law school and his family has proudly served their people for several generations, which gives him a unique perspective into Nicaraguan history to share with his clients. Our guided return crossing a week later was just as smooth, uneventful & fast.
During our vacation, Edwin and his driver Agustin also gave us a private tour of his hometown of Rivas and the famous colonial town of Granada, with a quick side trip to Catarina and the Apoyo volcanic lagoon. He even included a private boat excursion through the secrete world of the 365 Isletas de Granada. Amazing! This was an exciting and educational day trip for us. Thank you Edwin, Michael & Agustin for a fun & comfortable first experience in your beautiful country! And thank you, Norman, for taking great care of our car & us as well!

Visited August 2013
Toronto
“Crossing the border, and a day trip to Granada”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

While researching for a recent trip to Costa Rica and Nicaragua, I read online that the border crossing between the two countries could be very chaotic, with plenty of confusion and long delays. Since I don’t speak the language and didn’t want to waste time floundering, I thought it best to get some help. I read some great reviews online about Macua Tours so I inquired via email. Within a day, I received a response from Edwin, who happens to be the owner/operator of the company. Edwin was extremely helpful and answered all my questions. He made arrangements for a driver to pick me up at the Liberia airport in Costa Rica, where I was also meeting a friend. The driver would take both of us to the border, and pass us over to a driver on the other side, who would then take us to our hotel in Nicaragua.

I was skeptical but had no other options. As it turns out, I am SO happy that I decided to take a chance on Macua Tours! Everything went off without a hitch. The driver was waiting for me at the airport, with a sign with my name on it. The van was brand-new, air-conditioned and comfortable. The driver was able to bypass many of the lines at the border, knew exactly where to go, and got us through in no time. The same was true on the Nicaraguan side. In fact, Edwin was there to meet us when we crossed over. I’m quite certain that if I had tried to do the border crossing on my own, I’d still be there, floundering around, trying to figure it all out!

I was so impressed with Edwin and his professionalism, that I asked him to be my guide the following day, for a tour in Granada. What a beautiful city – and I couldn’t have had a better guide by my side. Edwin’s English is great (my Spanish is basically non-existent!), he is very well-versed on the history of his country, and he was friendly, professional and organized.

I would definitely recommend Macua Tours to anyone travelling to Nicaragua – and I’m so glad I had the opportunity to spend some time in such a beautiful country. I can’t wait to go back. Thank you, Macua Tours!

Aimee