“fantastic.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coral Cove Resort

Save Saved
You added Coral Cove Resort to your Saves list
Coral Cove Resort
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2 Old Hope Rd, Little Bay Jamaica, Little Bay, Jamaica   |
Special Offer
15% Off September Travel
Ranked #1 of 2 Little Bay B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“fantastic.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We were guests at Coral Cove for our fiends wedding in March for 5 days. Honestly, it was fantastic. I am not into all inclusive resorts in general, as I feel they are typically void of any local culture and the food and drink are junk. Truthfully and thankfully, Coral Cove is NONE of these. Its the perfect all inclusive for people who hate all inclusives.

The food is absolutely delicious; Totally Jamaican with enough variety to suite all pallets. The staff are quite simply the most genuine, friendly and personable staff I have every met. It is unusual to go to a resort for 5 days and leave, knowing all the staff by name and giving them big hugs on the way out! They were absolutely top notch in every way; grounded in authentic Jamaican hospitality.... It was more like staying with a great group of friends than the usual feeling you get when staying at a resort.

Ok- about the hotel:

Coral Cove is a small collection of rooms and cabins placed around a coral cove (I know, but it needs to be said ;). The Cove is delightful for snorkeling and bathing and provides a really nice breakwater from the coastal waves. WATER SHOES are a MUST though as the coral is sharp. The snorkeling was great and the hotel provides gear, which is really nice, a well as kayaks free of charge. There is a little beach area as well with loungers and umbrellas as well as hammocks everywhere. the atmosphere is laid back, comfortable and feels like home; yet a really nice home in a tropical paradise.

Our room was simple yet comfortable, and very clean. We had a walk in shower with a hole in the ceiling that allowed you to look at the stars if you were taking a night shower; cool! The room was well screened and had excellent cross ventilation so we didn't need an air conditioner. The bed was SO comfortable. I have never slept so well. The only thing I can find room for improvement in was the shower, which did not have the best pressure and was not always hot, so this could be improved.

Food and Drinks were top notch; lots of great blended cocktails with tons of fresh local fruit; no substitute syrups and just the right amount of booze. As Ive already said the meals were absolutely delicious; local and international flavors.

This is a great place to go with a group of friends, especially if you want the convenience of an all inclusive, but the true atmosphere of Jamaica and a relaxed comfortable stay. If you are looking for a cookie-cutter hotel with standard American fare and the amenity of Vegas- DO NOT come to Coral Cove; you will be disappointed! If you love to watch the stars out under your private beach, make friends with the locals, try some new food, kick back and read all day, snorkel and swim and enjoy the finer things in life like no TV, slow internet, and countless hours of relaxation, this is the place for you!!

PS- the photos on the website absolutely do not do the hotel justice. its much nicer and the cove is simply divine.

Room Tip: the little cabins on the beach are the most private, the rooms in the Turtle beach house are very co...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Let me start by saying that overall, we had a wonderful time at the Coral Cove. However, I have to be honest, there were a few things that happened during our one week stay that must be mentioned and the reason why I only gave it a 4 star instead of a 5 star.

We were a group of 23 heading to Coral Cove for our friends wedding in March 2013. The drive to Coral Cove is a bit long, but can be beautiful if they go the scenic route, which is just under 2 hours. If they go over the mountain, it will be approximately 1.5 hours. Coral Cove is about a 25 minute drive from Negril. If you want to go into town, you could ask Richie, the driver, to come on any given day to take you where ever you wanted to go.

Coral Cove is not your 'typical' resort. It has a few low rise buildings with rooms, as well as small cottages. It has a cove for a beach, which opens up to a larger body of water if you want to do some kayaking or snorkeling. (FYI...The cove is VERY rocky! You must bring water shoes or you will not be able to enter the water). There isn't a pool or daily activities, it is simply your own little piece of paradise. Not all the rooms have air conditioning, but I have to say with the windows open, we really didn't need air conditioning, I actually got cold a few nights as we were right on the water. You can request a room with air conditioning when you book. I stayed in the 'Sunset Cottage' which was newly built in May 2012. This consisted of a bedroom, a bathroom, a change room and an open air shower....which was AWESOME!!!

There are 3 chefs on site and you can request certain dietary needs. We had 4 children, 4 vegetarians and 3 people allergic to nuts in our group and they were able to accomodate everyone. The bride and groom set the times for breakfast, lunch and dinner and we all ate as a group for all meals. I personally love west indian food and chef Sean (pronounced Sea-on)helped settle my cravings with wonderful ackee & salt fish, oxtail, jerk chicken, curried goat and home made beef patties. For those people who like to stick to North American food, there was plenty of that as well.

The day of the wedding, the spot the bride and the groom chose was set up nicely, the food was plentiful and we had the perfect day weather wise. The staff really did pull out all the stops for the wedding and for that I thank them ALL!

Now there were a few things that stuck with me, as far as service is concerned. Not everyone flew in at the same time, so when my late flight came in and we arrived at the hotel after 10pm, some of the guests and dinner was waiting for us. When we asked for a glass of red wine, we were told that they had reached their limit for the day and it was locked up. How is this possible at an all inclusive resort? When we questioned it, we were told we could have red wine the following day. Throughout the week, we had similar situations with food, other liqour, ice cream for the kids, etc... Some of us had problems with the lack of water pressure and showering in luke warm to cool water. A few days there were no towels for the beach and we had to wait until 11:30am to get them. On a few occassions, there were some staff members who gave our group some attitude, something that really isn't acceptable at any resort. But the situation that really upset me the most was the day after the wedding, which was the day we were all leaving the resort. The bride and groom were told that they owed an additional $600 for liqour that the 'staff' had drank at the wedding. How is it their responsibility for this and at an all inclusive resort to boot? After further discussion, the amount changed from $600 to $850. This whole situation put a damper on our trip and in the end, they did not pay the bill. We had heard that the owner of the property was flying in the same day and perhaps the staff was to be held accountable for the 'excess' that had been consumed by the staff.

I feel that with proper management, accountability, training, this place could be top notch, but it certainly needs some tidying up.

A big shout out to Yeng, Sean, Cynthia, Maxine, Keisha, Richie & the gentleman who cleaned the grounds for the going the extra mile.

PS: If you're planning a trip to Coral Cove and have any questions or need additonal information, feel free to drop me a quick line :-)

Room Tip: If you want a room with air conditioning, make sure to request it at time of booking. There are no...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we began our wedding planning, we were overwhelmed by the amazing number of options we had for beach weddings. We looked at several Caribbean islands, and the result was the same. Every one of the resorts we'd looked at felt too corporate or "cookie cutter" for our taste. What's worse, every one of their wedding packages started at a base price, and before you knew it, you were paying thousands more than you wanted to. Finally, we came across Coral Cove in Little Bay, Jamaica. In all honesty, the place seemed too good to be true. But, time and again, we returned to Coral Cove's website. Finally, we made the decision to have our wedding there, and with that decision, literally every worry went away. From our initial consultations via email with Rouchelle and Maxine, to my phone conversation with the owner, Steve, we were made to feel at ease with our choice. Fast forward a month and a half to our arrival in Jamaica. We were met at the Airport by Richie, and we enjoyed a trip across the island, with him pointing out various things of interest along the way. Once we got to the resort, we were greeted warmly, and from that moment on, we were literally treated as if we were welcomed guests in someone's home. Our wedding was simply amazing, and the staff did whatever it took to make our day our own version of perfect. There is absolutely no cookie cutter feel to this place. Everyone who works in this resort lives in the surrounding village, and they truly made us feel at home there. They absolutely live the motto "don't worry", and in no time we'd adopted their mentality. Our room, the hibiscus cottage, was perfect, and the lack of air conditioning didn't bother us at all. In fact, we were even a tad chilly at night. One of our first days there, one of the bartenders asked us if we wanted some beers to bring back to our room. When I explained that we might need a bucket with ice, they delivered a mini fridge. When we found ourselves in rough seas with an overturned kayak, our bartender, the chef, and another young man jumped into the ocean to help us keep from washing against the rocks. Another employee sent for one of the village elders and his fishing boat. We were plucked from the sea, feeling taken care of even more than before. We were greeted with hugs upon our return to land. To say that these amazing people care about you as their guest is a gross understatement! Service like that just doesn't exist for most people who aren't millionares! We cannot recommend this resort enough. If you're unsure about where to go for you vacation, wedding, or simple getaway, take our word for it. You won't be disappointed by Coral Cove. Go there, relax, and enjoy getting to know people you'll come to know as friends. We were heartsick the day we had to leave, and are already planning on returning as soon as we can. Things not to miss: Red Stripes at the bar. ANY of the mixed drinks Donald, JC, or Yeng makes. Walk through the village and see remnants of Bob Marley's house. Swim in Bob Marley's mineral spring -the coolest thing we've found in a long time. Buy some small carvings done locally, or some conch shells. Check out the Blue Hole, a 5-10 minute bike ride away. Enjoy authentic Jamaican cooking for every meal. Otherwise, just chill out and meet awesome people. A special thanks to Bunny aka "Sarge". That man works so hard making the resort beautiful every day. I've never seen anyone rake things to perfection the way he did. He's one of the quiet heroes of this place that will make your experience perfect.

With the love and respect of two very satisfied visitors,

Andy and Bobbie Clinger
Benton, KY

• Stayed February 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Coral Cove Resort March of 2012 for our Wedding. We brought 12 guests with us. Maxine was instrumental in helping to schedule and organize our trip. She was a joy to work with in planning our special event and trip. So professional and very caring. I can't say enough about this special place and the people who run it. Everything we wanted or needed, we received. The wedding and reception was beautiful. Rochelle made sure that everything was taken care of right down to the very last detail. Everyone at Coral Cove really do care about you and the time you have there with them. Ritchie, Donald, Sean, Keasha, Rochelle, Maxine, EVERYONE were awesome! We had beautiful views from our room, and a opened aired all rock shower that was amazing! The property is beautiful. What I liked about it most was the natural beauty. Private cove and beach, outside hut bars to enjoy cocktails. The food was wonderful. They have wonderful chefs at the property (Rochelle and also Sean who we called the grill master!). On our last night, they setup a special dinner table out by the cove and rocks where we could have a candlelit dinner with all the waves crashing into the rocks all around us. It was absolutely a magical night to say the least! Thank you everyone at Coral Cove! We are coming back to see you in 2014! Love and Hugs, Tracy and Jeff "PINEAPPLE!!!!!!!" :-)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Janesville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying I didn't stay at Coral Cove. However, I was able to stop in for a visit and met Maxine Salabie, the director of marketing for Coral Cove. Not only were my wife and I welcomed as if we were guests, but Maxine went over and above her duties to try and help me catch up with an employee of Coral Cove that had worked at another resort when I last visited Little Bay nearly 22 years ago. My friend Richie was able to drive his van to Negril and pick me and my wife up, drive us around the area for the entire day and visit with us extensively for very little money. Coral Cove didn't have to allow that, but they did - and that shows what a great group of people they have assembled there. On top of that, the views from the resort are beautiful and I can fully understand why they are a prime destination wedding location. If you get a chance to check them out, you're doing yourself a disservice not to. Thanks again for everything, Maxine!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Douglasville, Georgia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Maxine and her staff made our family's stay fun with great deal of attention to the splendid hospitality displayed at every level.
Thanks a million and my family and I highly recommend Coral Cove to anyone who visits this beatiful island.

Thanks agan,

G. Ogbamichael

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Huge thanks to Maxine, Rachelle, Donald, Richie and all the super friendly people at Coral Cove. What a beautiful location! Really looking forward to returning in March with all our guest for our wedding! We're both so excited!!

W&N

Room Tip: Starlight and Starbright both have large patios and amazing views!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Coral Cove Resort? Share your experiences!