“Beyond our Wildest Expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 51 Activities in Saint-Martin
Type: Sports Camps/ Clinics, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: American Tennis Academy is a complete tennis facility located on the French side of St. Martin. We offer tennis training programs for Juniors and Adults of all skill levels as well as tennis vacation packages, tennis lessons, tennis clinics and court rentals. For tennis lessons with Oliver it's best to reserve in advance. We can also set up games for tennis players who are on vacation on St. Martin. 2 lighted tennis courts, open 7/7, Snack Lounge with Wifi access as well as an Outlet store where you can find the top brands at great prices.
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
“Beyond our Wildest Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I went on a cruise and specifically planned playing tennis in the ports. We wanted to take a lesson and everything was scheduled. Unfortunately, our boat changed schedules and we had to scramble to have our tennis changed. Oliver was very accommodating and we were rescheduled without any hiccups. Now, for the lesson itself. My wife is just getting back into tennis and when we showed up, the plan was to have a duel lesson. Oliver saw the major difference in our games and chose to split the session. Boy was it worth it. My wife learned a lot and has been hitting the ball great after just one lesson. We recorded the lesson on our iphone and she plays it periodically to ensure she remembers what Oliver told her to do. My lesson ended up running longer than 30 min. Oliver gave me an extra 15 minutes and we totally worked on my serve and forehand. Both of these strokes are my weapons and I win with them. However, Oliver saw some technical flaws and didn't try to change my entire stroke. He just did some minor tweaking and I have been hitting the ball even better and my serve has become more consistent.

Our lesson was so good that we are planning on taking a week vacation to Saint Martin just to get access to Oliver's instruction for a longer period of time.

Thanks Oliver for being a fantastic coach and even better host. We look forward to meeting Jennifer on our next visit.

Baltimore, Maryland
“learn "smart tennis" from Oliver on st. martin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I switched from right handed tennis to left handed tennis.
Oliver taught me smart short cuts and smart tennis.
Spend court time with Oliver and improve your game.
He is serious about tennis. He is a very good Teacher.

Ro,me
14 attraction reviews
“Bravo! to Oliver Becaud”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I scheduled a one hour tennis lesson for my wife with the tennis pro, Oliver Becaud during our trip to St Martin. Oliver (and his wife, Jennifer) were very cordial, personable and professional.

Tennis pros have different styles of teaching. Oliver is more of a technician than anything....and a good one at that. During the lesson, Oliver helped my wife tweak some minor flaws in her strokes.

If you're ever in St Martin and want to improve your tennis skills, get in touch with the folks at the American Tennis Academy.

Visited March 2013
Les900, Manager at American Tennis Academy, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback. We are glad to hear that you had a great experience.
Jennifer
Fredericton, Canada
“A must for tennis enthusiasts visiting St. Martin.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

If you are like most, you'll read a few opening lines of this review so let me cut to the chase: if you find yourself in St. Martin and if you like tennis, reserve a lesson (well in advance) with Oliver Becaud as he is unequivocally one of the best technical instructors around -- period. If you want to hear about my personal experience, read on: Being the tennis fanatic that I am, I was beyond excited to learn through my pre-vacation research that the American Tennis Academy existed in St. Martin. The name alone served up high expectations that would soon be exceeded. Fast forward to day one on court with Oliver. Putting his impressive credentials and experience aside, where to begin? First, his assessment of every part of your game is immediate and 100% accurate. Second, he has a genuine desire to "fix" you, to improve EVERY aspect of EVERY stroke. I truly believe him when he says he won't sleep until you "get it". Third, he is relentless and thank goodness for that because, at times, I was seriously thinking I had a learning disability but he would persevere and that translated into many positive results, one being a wickedly improved backhand that had on-lookers (previous and / or next-up "students" -- there was always someone waiting in the wings) gaping with jaws wide-open. (Oliver pointed this out to me like a proud father would!) And I have to admit, I impressed myself a time or two. All this to say, Oliver is well worth the investment of your time and money. I was quick to book a tennis lesson for subsequent mornings of my vacation and his schedule showed I wasn't the only one. His day was booked solid with back-to-back lessons with vacationers and locals alike -- a testament to his popularity and reputation. My advice to you -- actually it's Oliver's advice to me -- write down his instructions and practice what he preaches. You will see nothing short of amazing results. Since returning home, people have actually commented on the power behind my new serve, which is without a doubt the most improved aspect of my game despite having spent the least amount of time on it. Oh, and did I mention he loads his state-of-the art ball retriever with only new balls? I realize in my enthusiasm that I have rambled on well beyond your attention span but I truly would be remiss if I did not mention two key components of his operation: his delightful wife Jennifer and their lovely daughter Leslie. They will brighten your day by their mere presence alone.

I rate this experience a 10 out of 10 but don't take my word for it. Find out for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

Queenstown, Otago, New Zealand
“Fortunate Tennis Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Having been a former instructor who hadn't played in years, I was looking for an instructor in St. Martin to rebuild and modernize my tennis. My concern was that Oliver would waste my time by either dismantling what I knew to be good about my tennis or by teaching me new bad habits.
My concerns were quickly put to rest! Oliver is a fantastic and knowledgeable instructor who re-installed sound fundamentals and gave me tools (in the form of self correcting techniques) to help me help myself as I start playing again. I hope to visit Oliver in the future for tweaking, once I've done enough playing to discover problem areas in my tennis.

Visited December 2012