“Great horseback ride.” 5 of 5 stars

New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
“Great horseback ride.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

St Maarten was the first stop on our cruise this year. We rode with Lucky Stables on November 6, 2012. We had sunny skies, and it wasn't too hot. Our plan this year was to ride horses with Lucky Stables and then go to Maho beach to cross it off our bucket list. The kids really enjoyed the horseback ride.

We rented a big van, since we were a total group of 13 people. This included my family and old friends with their families. Finding Lucky Stables was pretty easy driving the big Ford Maxivan and I believe we were the first group there for the day. We had two other people with us, a mom and young daughter who lived on the French side of St. Marten who rode with us. We were split into two groups, one group of 7 and a group of 8. We got riding helmets, we were paired up with our horses, and had a great ride.

The horses were pretty well groomed and everyone was using a western-style saddle. The trail along the Seaside Nature Park is in view of the island's power and desalination plant, but there are beautiful views of the island throughout the ride despite the industrial area which ended up being behind us on the ride.

I noticed that Lucky Stables also had some sort of equestrian area and another local was getting horseback lessons in full English riding gear. Afterwards, we rested a bit around the snack bar area. Had a beer with our friends for $2 a beer, took pictures, and then drove to Maho beach.

There is a changing room at the stable behind the snack bar.

Visited November 2012

California City, California
9 attraction reviews
“Experience of a Lifetime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I were on a Festival at Sea Cruise to the Southern Caribbean on Carnival Victory 7/24 - 8/4/12 celebrating his 60th birthday. Before we left home I looked online to check out excursions for us to do at each island. We wanted to try the Horseback/Swim and found that the Seaside Nature Park/Lucky Stables had a lot of great reviews. We booked the 1 hour ride for $65 and paid an extra $14 each for our ride round trip. We had gone horseback riding up and down the beach a few times in Jamaica and Rosarita Beach, Mexico but wanted to try something a little bit more advanced on a trail. Our driver picked us up promptly at 9 a.m. at the tour desk. On the way he was very professional and pleasant giving us a lot of background and history of the island. Once we arrived at the stables, we were greeted by a very pleasant and professional lady who showed us nice clean restrooms and lockers for our change of clothing, towels and backpacks. We did pay $4 for the locker. We completed our necessary paperwork and was then introduced to our tour guide, Allison. She lead us over to the steps where we would mount our horse and were fitted with our helmets and saddle. Allison was very knowledgeable and we were matched with horses according to our riding experience. My horse’s name was Evita and my husband rode Fuerte. Along the trails there were so many beautiful animals that made it all so wonderful! There were lots of other beautiful horses roaming the grounds on their day off as well as cows, goats, roosters, turkeys, and ponds with ducks. We lucked up and only had the two of us in our group and had Allison all to ourselves. We had our cameras and she took our pictures and we made videos on the way. After we finished the ride on our trail it was time to go out into the water. The first lady who welcomed us came to help us remove our shoes and we were ready to take our swim. I was getting a little nervous because my idea of being out in the water is on that big cruise ship that we were on, however, this was something that I really wanted to try. While riding on the trail I fell in love with my horse and trusted her to take me out into the water. We started out in the shallow part and I felt pretty good about it. We went farther out as the water got deeper. This was icing on the cake and I wanted to take Evita home with me. I had conquered my fear and thoroughly enjoyed this experience! This was one of the highlights of our trip and we highly recommend it! Thank you Lucky Stables!!

Visited August 2012
Richmond, Virginia
24 attraction reviews
“Best Horseback Ride Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

This was a private ride at Lucky Stables. Our guide Jay was fantastic. This was most scenic ride ever and the most fun. We are immediate riders and were able to trot and gallop. Amazing views and great horses.

Roanoke, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
“Yikes”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We had been looking forward to horseback riding along the ocean and we found this stable in a guide book. As soon as we saw the horses, we should have turned around. They looked exhausted....and we found out later that they were. One of the members in our group spoke French and overheard the Owners (?)/ managers discussing whether to take them out again since they had already been on many rides that day. Our group was quite large, so they decided to not lose money. BEWARE of the photo opp at the top of the cliff. Our guide backed all 5 horses up against a cliff and one of the horses reared up and almost threw the rider over the cliff. These horses were exhausted and VERY hungry. They kept stopping to eat the whole time. Our guide told us that it was well past their dinner time. It was not the best experience that we have had on an island. We have ridden horses in both Tortola and St Kitts and this was horrible compared to that. Love seeing the oil refinery ship in the background of all the photos.

Visited May 2012
San Diego, California
“Just returned, fun experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I read the reviews, did the research and chose Lucky Stables and we're all glad I did. Yes, you do drive threw an oil refinery's entrance to get to the stables as stated, so we were very prepared. To the snobs out there, remember ocean front property is not cheap, nor easy to come by, especially on a major tourist island. They saw the opportunity and grabbed it. I'm sure they'd prefer elsewhere, but I suspect the cost of the land was a large factor.
It was great to see that the horses have freedom when they're not scheduled to trail. As it was explained to us, the horses chosen to trail ride that day do both trail rides, the next day they have the freedom to roam the hillsides and that they do. During our entire ride we saw horses freely roaming the grounds, hillside, beach...as they should.
Our guide, Jay, was great! Very personable, a knowledgable rider and an overall fun person to be around. The horses were beautifully trained, very gentle, mindful, attentive, well kept and healthy.
We did the 2-hour ride and due to the lack of experience for one of our riders we chose not to do the private ride that allows you to trot & canter w/your horse.

Visited July 2012