“Perfect! Friendly well run B&B with a great view!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harbour View Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newlyn
Harbour View Guest House
You added Harbour View Guest House to your Saves list
22 Fore Street, Newlyn, Penzance TR18 5JW, England   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Newlyn B&B and Inns
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Perfect! Friendly well run B&B with a great view!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

The wife and I recently stayed in the Harbour View Guest House for 2 nights.

With our children away for the weekend on a school trip, we decided to make the most of some rare time alone and go on a trip of our own. After some searching on the net, we settled on Penzance as our destination...

Upon arrival at the Harbour View, we were greeted by Joy and personally shown to our room. Whilst we had paid for a room "upgrade", we were pleasantly surprised to get both a double room with shower and an adjoining twin room with bathroom. The double room overlooked the harbour. Both rooms, shower and bathroom were clean and well presented.

Breakfast was excellent with a selection of cereals and fruit to start, plenty of fruit juice, tea and coffee on hand whilst "Full English" was cooked to order.

Sofas/chairs in the lounge area are extremely comfortable. Plenty of leaflets and information print outs of Cornish & local attractions to hand.

A very friendly and well run B&B which helped cap a fanstatic weekend. Should we get the opportunity to return to Penzance in the future, the Harbour View Guest House would definitely be our first choice accommodation.

A very well run and friendly B&B, highly recommended! :-)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
sopton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Our 4th or 5th visit to Harbour View, (getting to be a habit!!), we stayed for 4 nights, 10th to 14th July in order to visit the Mousehole festival, hence the title of this review.
To be honest, I don't know if I can add much to my previous reviews!! Harbour view, as the name suggests looks out over Newlyn harbour and most rooms have this view, check before booking to make sure you get the room of your choice. Double glazing has now been installed which is very efficient at cutting down the noise of the seagulls which can sit up long after proper people go to bed, fighting over fish scraps from the fishing fleet in the harbour.
We had room 2 which was small but comfortable with our own shower and washbasin and dedicated wc across the landing. Our companions were lucky enough to have the "family room" next door which was huge with every facility you could wish for. New "memory foam" mattresses provide an amazingly comfortable sleep.
Joy and Peter, as ever, made us so welcome, it was a real wrench to have to leave at the end of our stay. The only consolation - looking forward to the next visit!!
Oh did I forget to mention the breakfast?? - Just fabulous as ever.
As I said before - their good luck to live there, ours to visit. What more can be said!!!

Room Tip: Ask about room sizes and take your pick. Book early this guest house is very popular.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

As promised, the rooms overlook the beautiful harbour. The view from the window looks like a painting.

The bedroom was very nicely furnished - very warm and homey. They provide handphone charges in case we guests forget ours. They even provide ear plugs in case the neighbours are noisy. I really love how much thought they put into the details.

Also, there is a bus stop just 1 minute away (by foot) from the guest house. And another one about 10 minutes away.

What made my stay most comfortable and enjoyable was the staff there - particularly the owner, Joy. My partner and I got into some sort of trouble with our transportation as we arrived at Penzance 2 in the morning and luckily she was there to save us and let us in middle of the night. The next few days, she always made sure that we knew where we were going and she also made sure we knew our way back. She was a lovely person and very nice to talk to.

On the last day of my trip, I had to leave at 4am and Joy gave me access to her kitchen - allowing me to make breakfast for myself. She even offered some books for me to read on my way home.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sudbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

The accomodation is comfortable,the bed is soooooooo comfortable. Breakfast is divine. Very welcoming and view to die for. The location is exactly what we needed and is perfect for our needs. Definetly be going back. Highly recommend

Room Tip: All rooms have great view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Joy C, Owner at Harbour View Guest House, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Adrienne
I would like to thank you most sincerely for your lovely comments about Harbour View on Tripadvisor recently. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the comfortable bed and cooked breakfast.
It's good of you to take the trouble at such a busy time of year - it helps so much with promoting our little business with future guests. I hope we may see you here again some time.
Kind regards Joy
Wirral
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I am puzzled by the good reviews of this awful guest house. When we arrived the owner did not know what room we were in and bizarrely made us choose between two rooms which were both equally horrendous. The windows were wide open with a hoard of flies circling the room and then nesting on the lamp shade. The rooms didn't appear dirty, just neglected with most objects/surfaces having a distinct orange stain. Instead of the usual tea and coffee facilities, there was a half eaten packet of digestive biscuits on the floor in the hallway with a handwritten sign saying 'help yourselves'. No thanks. Advertised as en-suite but our toilet was down the corridor (do we pee in the shower?). This is the best part. Instead of a bedside table, there was a peeling and distressed looking shower cubicle. The whole room just felt mouldy. We contemplated sleeping in the car rather than staying in the beds. I can't comment on the breakfast as we wanted to escape as quickly as possible. Didn't say a word to the owners, there was a distinctly 'League of Gentleman' type feel about the place and there was nothing they could do short of 6 months of renovation to improve my stay. Just don't bother.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Joy C, Owner at Harbour View Guest House, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
I have just noticed this review - shocked at what was said - but we all occasionally get one like this. All rooms have tea/coffee facilities. The room in question was family suite 3 where the ensuite bathroom is accessible either via the rear twin room or via the corridoor. We are right on top of the harbour and, if it is hot, (as it was in August) the seaweed below us can cause flies to enter the house - not a lot we can do about that - the windows we always keep open during hot days. The guests were offered a choice of rooms - often you can upgrade to a family ensuite if doubles have gone - ie a front double, a rear twin and an ensuite bathroom all for £60 per night! The house is Victorian and decorated accordingly - not modern. Housekeeping is of a high standard. Our aim is to provide homely accommodation at the best prices with a superb view and breakfast. Virtually all of the reviews are extremely good - it is always important to read all the print to decide whether or not the accommodation is what you are seeking. I am sorry these guests were not impressed with what we are trying to provide.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed a week at Harbour View Guest House from 17th August and had the most wonderful holiday. I had a very comfortable room, with the most spectacular views, and was able to watch the sun rise and huge changing skys across the bay to St Michael's Mount, from my bed!
As a solo traveller, I thoroughly enjoyed the communial breakfast tables, meeting new people and sharing tales of daily adventures! Joy was warm and welcoming, and made me feel very at home, supplying plenty of helpful information and local knowledge, as well as delicious breakfasts, and plenty of varieties of tea and coffee and biscuits. I really enjoyed my stay, which was a very important part of a fantastic holiday!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
sopton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed at Harbour View 4 nights end of August. This is our third visit to this B&B and every time it does us proud.
It is without doubt "no frills" but exceptional value and in our opinion cannot be beaten if you want good honest value for money. The rooms we have had on our visits were comfortable with washbasin and shower built in to one corner but were never designed for full ensuite, (Victorian terrace) hence dedicated toilets across the corridor. The breakfast room/lounge is great with two tables for breakfast and lovely setees and armchairs to sink into and watch tv in the evenings if you want a change from tv in the bedroom.
Breakfast!!!!!! wow, you just couldn't beat it. Full range of buffet cereals, fruit, yoghurts etc to start then any sort of "full English" you like. Nothing is too much trouble for hosts Joy and Peter (chef). practically any combination of cook up you like, just ask and it appears like magic. Brown or white toast, truckloads of it!!
Joy and Peter have been there a while so are a mine of info when it comes to advice on where to visit, bus routes, opening times, you need to know?? they have the answer.
"Their luck to live there and ours to visit them"
What more can we say!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Only used the "family room" (three singles and full ensuite) and room 1 at the front. Room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Harbour View Guest House? Share your experiences!