“at the start or end of your coastal walk- a pure delight!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vegan, Vegetarian, Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“at the start or end of your coastal walk- a pure delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Really nice spot and fantastic food either before or after you walk. we've had breakfast and lunch outdoors there several times in it's garden and listened to the Archers there on a Sunday morning; all v quiet and civilised and no horrid, ubiquitous music/ musak; g8 veggie or meat food; all organic, fresh and wholesome. Art cards for sale too. One of our new favourite cafes at the south west tip of Cornwall but away from the touristy Lands End as just of the beaten track. Try it!

Visited September 2012

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Don't believe the hype, just another 'Cornish Community' scam”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I hate leaving bad reviews on Trip Advisor, but I only feel its right to inform the Apple Tree of its downfalls so that it can improve. So here goes....from the outside the cafe looks gorgeous, small and quaint with just the right amount of kitsch touches to it. I loved the old bicycle on the corner telling people which direction to go in. On arriving there was no one else in, the place was pretty cold so we kept our coats on. One good point I should mention is that dogs are allowed, which was nice.
My coffee was fine, but I ordered a sausage sandwich which they charge £5 each for. With no word of a lie, this was THE WORST sausage sandwich I have ever had. I was thoroughly disappointed as most Cornish sausages are thick and delicious, and I was looking forfward to some soft warm home baked bread. The bread was dry and tasteless, cut too thick and crumbled at the first bite. The sausages were thin, overcooked, dry and tasteless too. With a tiny ration of butter spread across bread, I had to lather the thing in ketchup to be able to swallow it. If I hadnt been so hungry I would have sent it back, but it took the staff about 40 minutes to assemble it in the first place so I didnt dare.

Usually I wouldnt be so bothered as to write about a bad sandwich, but what angers me most is that this place was promoted in an article in Cornwall Today and is therefore widely representing Cornish produce and community cafes. I didnt feel very welcome, I'm sure the staff were aware that what we were getting was a pile of tosh and it all goes under the pretence that you are 'helping the community and supporting Cornwall'. Don't be fooled by this, if it's bad quality it doesn't matter where it's from and just because it's made in Cornwall doesn't always mean it's delicious and worth more money.

There's plenty other restaurants and cafes in Cornwall which use Cornish produce and support local providers and as a resident I know we have some of the best tasting food in the country. The Apple Tree needs to work harder on its recipes and on its consistency to the customer as I can see some good and some bad reviews on here. You are not representing the rich flavours and levels of quality that the county has to offer and by naming yourself a 'community cafe' I think you have a duty to do so.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Penzance, United Kingdom
“Lemon Polenta cake to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is my favourite bike-ride stop. Both the cafe and the staff are bright and welcoming, there's a bike rack outside, and the lemon polenta cake is a blow-your-socks-off taste explosion!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Truro, United Kingdom
“what a gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

this was a treat! tucked in a little road off the beaton track, serving the best of food and drink...thouroughly enjoyed the laid back atmosphere the galleries of art work and the eclectic mix of clientele! wow what a find..it was busy on even the dullest of days.it must be a stunner in the summer months...must get down there again soon ...

Visited June 2012
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“David & Sandra, South Yorkshire.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

What a fantastic place. well worth seeking out. We now make a point of visiting everytime we are in Cornwall ( at least 4 times a year ). The staff are exemplary. The food & soups are fantastic. The hot chocolate is out of this world. If you are going to Lands End or Porthcurno you must call in you will not be disappointed.

• Visited September 2012