“Good Location but.....” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Cadgwith B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good Location but.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I do not recommend the Cadgwith Cove Inn. Although located in a lovely part of Cornwall, the service for guests is generally poor. I arrived one afternoon in August 2013 at 1415 for a three-night stay before visiting family in Padstow. After a long drive from the North of England, I was told that my room was not yet ready and would I like to wait for 30 minutes and ‘have a drink in the bar’. This seemed reasonable but, after repeated requests, it was not until 1545 that I eventually got into my room. My booking confirmation had stated that my room would be ready from 1400. Now readers are not going to believe what follows: I booked a table for dinner that evening. But I was asked by one of the owners (who was serving) to pay for it in advance (straight after I had ordered) even though I was staying there and had paid months earlier for 3 nights accommodation in full! Incredible as it may seem, I was actually given a bill at the table before my meal arrived! When I gave them my credit card, this was taken out of my sight and put into a ‘safe’ (this was actually a card sleeve placed behind the bar). Needless to say, this was very embarrassing and some other dining guests (and others in bar later on) could not believe what had happened either. I am widely travelled throughout the world and have never, ever, had this experience in hotels - or even one that comes remotely near to it.
Previous reports have said that staff at the Inn are very friendly. In my judgment, the ‘friendliness’ is empty, rather contrived and ‘scripted’. Whilst accepting that the owners had only taken over the Inn around 12 months previously, my experience was frankly unbelievable. I regret having to write this review but I feel I should warn others thinking of booking here. On the plus side, I am already ‘dining out’ on my ‘Fawlty Towers’ experience!
I would think very carefully about using the Cadgwith Cove Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Newquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful two night stay in Cadgwith Cove Inn. We booked on chance without doing any research but what a little gem.
The cove itself is a delightful place and the staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. The food was amazing for both the full english breakfast and the evening meals. It was wonderful to escape mobile phones and television for a whole weekend.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the en-suite - it is worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We have just spent a great weekend staying at the Cadgwith Inn. it is a family run Inn and the food and accommodation are excellent ,it is well worth a visit .the only draw back is there is no mobile phone signal til you get to the top of the hill .

Room Tip: we were happy in room 3 but you will get a better view on the floor above.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Visited Cadgwith Cove today for the first time ever and what a fascinating place, one that I suspect has changed little in a century or more. From the car park you wander down along a series of footpaths between cottages until you arrive at the centre of this lovely fishing village, with colourful working boats drawn up onto the rocky beach/concrete ramp. There are a couple of shops and Cadgwith Cove Inn nearby, the latter serving a wide range of ales and ciders and good food. The staff were very pleasant and chatty and the whole atmosphere in the inn was great. It was a pity therefore that when we walked out into the centre of the village again that we, along with many other couples and some young families, were treated to a conversation between four local men sat on a bench amongst the lobster pots etc, when every other word was a four letter expletive. We know they were local, as we later saw two of them launch a boat when we were standing on the Todden. What a contrast between this place and Coverack just along the coast. We won't be visiting Cadwith again but would thoroughly recommend Coverack.

Stayed September 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had high expectations and were not disappointed.
A gorgeous old pub in a delightful little village.
Friendly staff and good food. A liitle aged but that is all part of the character.
We only stayed one night but would have loved to have stayed longer - we will be back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Gorgeous old inn, clean room but could really do with a chair or sideboard, also a head height mirror..Fantastic food, the best and freshest fish and chips i have ever had. Great value for money, friendly owners. Will definitely be back..

Room Tip: Go for En-suite
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rhiw
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Last night of the holiday treat.. Ordered Lobster off the specials board, got about 3 thumb size pieces drowned in a huge bowl of salad. Wife ordered Turbot, nice but size of a starter. Having watched it on tv it was very disappointing, obviously fame gained as a result of tv exposure has done nothing for the food except put the prices up. Only reason it got a poor and not terrible was because the service was friendly and they knocked a tenner off the bill..mind you still cost me over 50 quid !!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cadgwith Cove Inn? Share your experiences!