“Karoo Lamb beautifully done!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: email: clusterdhote@mweb.co.za
Cromer
“Karoo Lamb beautifully done!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Sutherland is a small town in Northern Cape, South Africa. I was there on a trip with my family to do some star gazing and we had a superb meal at the Cluster d'Hote, Johann is such a wonderful host and his wife Anelia is an amazing cook. The lamb shank was done to perfection and we were made to feel very welcome indeed. Thank you.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

A TripAdvisor Member
“Pleasant hosts and great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

A must to visit when in Sutherland. You are served by the owners, whom are down to earth people. And the food was delicious, the lamb shank is a winner. Thanks Johan!

Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Absolutely first class service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

My brother and I visited this restaurant along with our hosts in Sutherland. It was our first time in Sutherland and a long night of stargazing lay ahead. I'm not a regular fine dining restaurant visitor but I will say that we were very warmly welcomed to Cluster d'Hote and the food was easily the best we had on our whole trip to South Africa.
The decor is like stepping back in time. Real old world charm.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“THE place for lamb shank!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

A very tradionally decorated restaurant in a very traditional small town could have meant basic fare, but the lovely couple running Cluster d'Hote serve up quality food. In the Karoo you must eat lamb, and although I was tempted by chops, Johann persuaded us both to have their signature lamb shank. It was tender, flavoursome and delicious - the best shank I've ever tasted! It was preceeded by some home made bread and served with roast potatoes and cape fruit. I'd have liked a little more veg, but that would have left no room for dessert - ice cream and chocolate sauce for me and lemon meringue for my wife. Just the thing to keep out the cold for the stargazing that followed.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Knysna, South Africa
“Great restaurant in remote Sutherland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Our party had dinner recently. The menu selection and quality of food was excellent, as was the ambiance and décor. The staff (owners) were very friendly and efficient. We recommend this restaurant without hesitation.

• Visited November 2013