“Business Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Worldhotel Grand Winston

Save Saved
You added Worldhotel Grand Winston to your Saves list
Worldhotel Grand Winston
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Generaal Eisenhowerplein 1, Rijswijk 2288 AE, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Rijswijk
Amsterdam
“Business Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Room, nice, but nothing special. Bathroom!
Bathroom is in the corner of room. The walls are from Half translucent glass. The walls does not go up the ceiling. They are more dividors. So, you can see, hear and smell in the outer room. There is no bathtub. Rooms are designed for business travellers.  Business  everywhere. Business at dining room; you are sitting at high bar stools. Business at breakfast: long tables for groups only. Hotel is suitable for business travellers, recreation travellers, looks elsewhere

Hotel is not cheap, there are no movie channels, no pool, at that for more than €146 night.

Parking area, free, but full. There is only space for 23-35 cars.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandWinston, General Manager at Worldhotel Grand Winston, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Kuprasm,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is incredibly valuable to us, as it best evaluates our product and service offerings. Please be assured your comments will be used in our renovation plans which will be carried out in the near future.

286 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Nice design (hotel, lobby, bedroom, ...)
Parking available for free
My room was quite noisy due to sewage noise coming from the bedrooms upstairs
Rooms are big enough and offer all comfort (douche with several sprays, ...).
Breakfast with enough choice
Helpful staff altough not always competent (I asked for an Indonesian restaurant in the neighbourhood and they said that I had to go to The Hague - I walked 10 minutes around and found 2 Indonesian restaurants).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Christophe V,

Thank you so much for your time to review Worldhotel Grand Winston on Tripadvisor!
I am really pleased to read that you had a good stay in our hotel, however we will inform the staff at the front desk about all the restaurants in the neighborhood so for the next time this will not happen again.

Your feedback is important to us to grow and maintain our high service standards with our guests.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Assen, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I've been staying at the Grand Winston a number of times over the past six years and it is probably the worst hotel in its class I have stayed at during that time. Many fellow visitors will know why I keep returning, so I will not go into that.

Room: I don't mind the glass panels so much as others. It is weird but since most people stay there by themselves, no big deal. The carpet in the toilet areas is not very nice. Quality of the showers is terrible and they are often showing signs of fungus. TVs are old and one does not expect this at the price you pay for the room. Internet access is expensive and the connection is lousy. Beds used to be like planks but the addition of extra padding matresses some years ago have made them quite good.

Food: I picked up food poisining from the breakfast one time. No more fish for me, the rest is decent if unspectacular. Dinner service is slow on quiet evenings and absolutely terrible on busy evenings. The staff apologies for this every time but surely they could anticipate better and increase staff? If I can predict when it's busy, surely the staff can. Food quality is decent, but there are better places, especially in terms of value, across the street and next door.

Service: This is where this hotel fails, fails, fails. The hotel policies that are truly atrocious. Cancellation, even when done well in advance, results in paying the full bill. One time I was booked into a suite because all other rooms were full. On the day of checkin I checked our online reservation system and noticed normal rooms were free. Nevertheless, I was charged the price of the suite (love the clear plastic piano, guys). On multiple times at checkout I was charged erroneous charges, from bottle of water from the minibar to a 550 euro bar bill that wasn't mine. Worst thing: after taking 20 minutes to figure out they made a mistake, no apologies were made and the guy behind counter mumbled something like 'I got away with it'. Horrible.

Location: We all know why we stay here, don't we folks? If I wasn't so lazy I'd stay in The Hague or Delft. I keep telling myself that next time I will. This hotel thrives on that, it doesn't have any drive to improve.

Note: My last stay was in April 2012. Things could have changed but from more recent reviews I don't think it has.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sr78,

Thank you for your reviewing Worldhotel Grand Winston on Tripadvisor. We appreciate you taking the time to provide detailed feedback of your recent stay. We consider it very important to stay up to date with new developments and constantly strive to improve our products and services.

I was very disappointed to read that you were allocated in a room with a bad working shower. Please note we are starting a room renovation very soon. All rooms will have a plasma television.

We realized that our guests would like to have free WiFi included in the roomrate. Therefore we now offer free WiFi (until 20 MB).

I am also shocked of the way the front desk was approaching you, please be assured that this is not how we usually operate, and I would like to offer my sincere apologies on behalf of the hotel for any inconvenience caused.

We would very much welcome an opportunity to redeem ourselves and restore your faith in our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly so that we can discuss this further.

Thank you once again for your feedback, and I look forward to hearing from you.

UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

... or something like that.

Having stayed at the hotel a number of times I can only echo previous reviews mentioning the amateurish attempt at off the wall design. Poor room design is the worst - the partial glass partitions to the bathroom mean that any room guest will witness the full visual, aural and olfactory stimuli should you need to go for a "grand winston" during your stay.

The beds are OK for me, but some of the rooms have very tatty furniture/carpet which has only been made worse by leaks from the bathroom area.

Food is generally good but 7.50 EUR to bring it to your room. Breakfast is 20 EUR which is overpriced and hard to avoid as there seem to be no alternatives in the area.

In summary I think I will try alternative hotels in The Hague even if it means some additonal hassle travelling to Rijswijk.

Room Tip: rooms with shower only seem to have better layout
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GrandWinston, General Manager at Worldhotel Grand Winston, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Business_Trav2004,

Thank you for your time to review our hotel. My apologies for the inconveniences during your stay at Worldhotel Grand Winston.

Please note that we also offer rooms with opaque bathroom walls which offer more privacy.

Hopefully we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Saint Charles, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Bed is good. Breakfast is fine. Wifi is awful-slow and you need to keep relogging in. Parking lot was full one of the two nights I stayed. Dinner at the restaurant is good-above average for a hotel. Fitness room is small. Overall a reasonable experience but I think I will stay in Delft next time

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GrandWinston, General Manager at Worldhotel Grand Winston, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Traveler Steve,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, we appreciate your feedback about our hotel and your kind words about our restaurant.

Our apologies for the inconvenient WiFi connection you experienced during your stay. Our internet provider will solve this problem as soon as possible.

We certainly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Worldhotel Grand Winston.
I remain at your disposal for any additional comments or assistance I can provide.

Kind regards,

Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

In a not very interesting neighborhood this hotel stands out because of the its elegant quality interior design. The rooms are big and quiet with good and modern beds and shower. The breakfast buffet is plentiful and the restaurant better than average in this region, particularly the fish on the menu.
Minuses are a tiny fitness room with only a few cardiovascular devices hooked up and functional, no swimming pool, no miles and ridiculous WiFi rates in the room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GrandWinston, General Manager at Worldhotel Grand Winston, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear FoodieMunich_Germany,

Thank you for your time to review our hotel, we greatly appreciate your kind words about Worldhotel Grand Winston.
Please note that we offer free WiFi in all rooms and public areas of the hotel.

Hopefully we may welcome you back in Worldhotel Grand Winston!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Was in Rijswijk for business and stayed at this hotel. The room was quite large (I was in the wing towards the back of the hotel) but had the bathroom in it (encased with glass walls)! Not a problem for me, but worth knowing if you are travelling with family/friends. Hotel is located very close to the Rijswijk train station, so very convenient.

Large bed and a very adequate bathroom with good toiletries and little touches geared towards a business traveller (shoe shine, vanity kit etc.) I ordered in room service which was quite pricey - especially with a EUR 9 delivery charge. The food was average at best.

The breakfast buffet was quite nice and at EUR 15 (pre-booked) was decent value. The dining room is a bit soulless though - like a huge staff canteen! Staff quite cold overall....but efficient.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Worldhotel Grand Winston? Share your experiences!