“place is good but the stuff was very very poor.” 2 of 5 stars

Fernandez Beach and Garden Resort
Mindanao, Philippines   |
Ranked #9 of 11 Samal Island B&B and Inns
Butuan, Philippines
“place is good but the stuff was very very poor.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

we were this resort because when we saw in internet they have a good room and stuff was friendly food are good. but when we are there i was shock when we first take a dinner we choice our food in menu.i choice bulalu soup. the waiter said i could not make that maam because its take long time to make it. but we order 5:pm i said serve it to me at 7pm. the man said its better to make a pork soup maam because its easy to make. so i had to give him a little bet strick words. after that he answer ok ok maam il make it. next day.. morning we woke up 6am to take a cofee but the restaurant was close i ask the lady what time the res. will open lady said 7am. were waiting 2hr stil close. we are very hungry. we are just lucky because there is a store open at the back of the beach so we disede to take a breakfast there. and no internet no ref inside our room we rent with included the ref and internet but we are dis spointed. nothing. nothing u cant talk properly to the stuff because when we are asking them they walk away. ohh my god they wont listen to them. and if u want to eat your meal. lunch dinner or breakfast. u just order 2hrs befor u eat. because they serve very sloly and very very long time. even we order only egg and beef loaf and bread. when day serve it the foo was vey coldd. so i just think i would never recomend this resort i would never come back this resort...

Room Tip: corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
CDO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I'm not a big beach fan, but this place actually made me enjoy it. We picked this resort randomly without expecting much. The idea was just to take a dip in one of Samal's beaches, get a place to rest our heads, and be on our way the next morning. The resort was near the road so we were immediately able to access it after hopping off the bus. There was an entrance fee of 100 pesos per person but that was deducted from the room charge, just an inconvenience really.

We got a cheap room for about $30. It was pretty comfortable. Although the walls were made with woven bamboo strips, they were nicely done. The grounds and the beach were clean. Everything appeared to be well maintained. I guess the biggest turn off was that they charge extra for using the pool, just 80 pesos but it makes you wonder why they can't just add that to room rate. Again, another inconvenience.

What I really enjoyed most about this stay was the chance it gave us to have a great family bonding and a little R&R on the side. The market was just a short tricycle ride away and we were able to get some fish to grill. We then had a small picnic outside our cottage.

The beach was nice. The sad was white and soft. They had nets around the perimeter so the I guess that made it safe. They also lighted the place up after dark so it was really great for some night swimming.

The following morning we hired a tricycle to take us to another of Samal's tourist spots, Hagimit Falls, which was about a 15 min drive away. It was a fun experience and despite the shortcomings of this resort, I was satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The resort is nice. In fact, it was the better one we found in the area after looking around. But the rate is not that worth it. The cottage was comfortable, the beddings okay, the room and the toilet is clean. The entire resort looks lovely and peaceful. We just don't like the staff. They don't have a clear protocol. Whenever we go out of the resort we're always having problems with the horrible guard. Staff also did not inform us about the other available rooms. They did not give us a choice but the air con room! It was after we checked in that we found out about many available cheaper rooms. We felt like we were ripped off. Bad marketing. If you can find something else, then try a different one. If you still want to stay here, don't expect good service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Davao City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This resort is very nice especially the pool and the rooms but the staff not so good. I go there by bus the "Island Garden City of Samal" somewhere in Magsaysay Park in Davao City and took me 1 hour trip. Going there once is enough. :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Quezon City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

The resort offers accommodation for large groups and it's a good thing. Their rooms are a bit spacious and their private restroom is also large. The beach front is also great as there are many benches. I can also say that the beach is safe. They installed nets around their beach area to warn swimmers that it's the deep part. The swimming pool has a fee of Php100 for adults and Php75 for kids (I am not sure of the rates).

It was a nice and affordable place to stay in. However, just before we checked out, my cousin lost her phone in just a matter of few minutes. She's just a few feet away from the tables and chair and lost the phone. The management didn't do anything to compensate the loss or investigate further on the incident. Oh well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

I booked to stay here based on a blog I read about this resort. I phoned the resort's mobile number obtained from the net and after a few unanswered calls, finally someone picked up the phone. There was only one cottage left, it is non-aircon. Non-aircon is okay so I took it.

My cousin and I arrived at the resort at about 5:00 pm. At the gate the guards let us in after verifying we had bookings. We went straight to the reception to let them know we've arrived. We were not asked for further personal details, no forms to sign, just the name that matched the booking. We were directed straight to our cottage.

The entire place looks great and tidy. The beach looks good, we went for a swim but soon we realized that the beach is not sandy, it is muddy, whitish mud.

The restaurant was clean and spacious, the free-form wooden tables and chairs look really great. There were 4 guests at the restaurant when we arrived for dinner. As guests you would usually sit down and the waiter comes to you. There are people at the counter but nobody bothers so we came to them to put our order in. I asked for the drinks to be served first because I got the feeling that like a few other cafes/restaurants I've been to in the Philippines, the people who work there got no clue what to do in their jobs due to very poor general/personnel management. After a long wait, the main meal was served but there was no sign that our drinks will be served soon. I asked where our drinks are. The reply: Oh, sorry, I'll get it now.

The cottage we had got jalousie windows and 2 electric fans but it felt like there is shortness of oxygen inside the room. I had to open the door a couple of times during the night to let fresh air in. At first I thought it was only me but then my cousin also got up in the middle of the night feeling the same. We tried to open the door to the bathroom to help increase air circulation but the toilet deodorant they used smelt so revolting, we had to close the door again. We went to this resort to relax but we didn't have a comfortable night at all.

In the morning we went to the restaurant again for breakfast . We ordered coffee, bread and fried eggs. We were told they didn't have bread but could get it for us. I again asked for coffee to be served first while they get the bread. It took about 1/2 hour to get the coffee ready. Almost an hour later we saw these 2 people coming back to the restaurant in leisurely pace, one of them carrying a loaf of bread.

It is a real shame. This Fernandez Beach Resort is a great place, whoever the owner is must have done great planning to create this resort. The only thing, they forgot the other important part of runnining a business: GOOD MANAGEMENT.

Here they allow guests to bring their own food to cook. If you just want to go somewhere to relax, eat in a restaurant and to have an easy time, just don't bother coming here.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
cebu
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

The room we accomodated was ok. The pool was fine.
As for the management,it was terrible! Very poor customer service! It was not what we've expected...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Fernandez Beach and Garden Resort? Share your experiences!