“Great place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Lovina Beach
Zurich
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Damai was our first place to stay in Bali after a long trip from Europe. Eventhough we knew, that the transfer from Denpasar to the hotel up in the north takes about 3 hours, we had the feeling that the car ride will never end. The driver was a person not employed by the hotel and eventough we told him, that we are too tired for sightseeing and stops en route, he was very eager to show us nice sports. He only meant it nice, but after more than 24 hours, we just wanted to go to the hotel. The arrival and welcome in the hotel was very nice. We were a bit sceptical when we first were guided from the hotel down the hill and expected that our villa won't have a nice view then - but we were wrong. After downhill walk we walked again up the hill to a beautiful and very nice villa. It was just perfect. Large bathroom, outdoor shower what we really liked, huge bed and bedroon and a searate living room with TV. There were everywhere nice art. The pool itself was just huge, really great! It was just fabulous being in the pool, relax and watch out in the green and being able to see the sea in the distance. We loved it and had regrets not staying a night longer (we have stayed 3 nights). The hotel has villas with and without pool. There is a main pool but I would always recommend to book a villa with private pool. The breakfast at the restaurant is very nice. It's great that the staff are preparing the fruits in front of you. We loved the breakfast. We also had dinner at the restaurant in the hotel. Previous people wrote, that the food is not cheap, which is correct, however, being from Switzerland we know, that quality has its price and we were very satisfied. As the Damai is a small hotel, the choice of menus is limited and I could imagine, that if we would have stayed longer, I would have wished a bit a wider choice.
I have here rated 5 points, however, the cleaningness in the villa was ok, but e.g. in the bathroom, there was dust on the windows and also in the bedroom, we could see dust. Nevertheless, it was absolutely no problem and be aware, that the furniture were black where one can see every little dust immediately. I can absolutely recommend the Damai to travellers looking for a a very quite place to relax and in a great and personal environment. Last but not least: The staff were very nice and friendly at all times!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The Damai is on a beautiful property near Lovina. My husband and I had the most amazing time. We stayed two days in the Una Naga room which is a two bedroom villa with a big pool overlooking a beautiful jungle looking area with a far off view of the ocean.

While there I took a yoga lesson and my husband got a great massage. We ate three meals there and they were all great especially the curry and beef tenderloin. The only exception was the fish sampler - we weren't a huge fan of that, it was average compared to all the other great things we ate.

I almost don't want to tell people about this place because it's so nice and I want it to be available the next time I go to Bali. :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We have had a very fantastic holiday there in Damai.

We enjoyed all they provided, the warm welcome from the handsome nice butler : ) the delicious food and service by the restaurant (dinner and breakfast are all the best, food is some kind of art, my family especially my daughter likes it very much, she said the traditional Indonesian food of fried rice is the best one she had ever had in Bali), and thebeautiful pool villa .Of course including the dolfin tour,we saw a lot of dolphins with the help of a good captain that Damai arranged.

The day we leave, we also got a special piece of traditonal cake to share because Balinese were celebrate their own festival.We felt just like at home.

Thanks a lot for all the nice persons in Damai.

We will definitely recommend it to all my friends and will once again soon visit Damai

Room Tip: the pool villa is a good choice, fantastic views of the sea, you can just do nothing but stay in the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

After reading many great things about this hotel here, we booked a 5 night stay and despite our high expectations, we were thoroughly impressed.

First of all, the grounds and rooms are immaculate, and a nice blend of luxury with a small boutique feel. The private outdoor shower and hottub were quite enjoyable, though we preferred to lounge at the main pool next to the restaurant/bar rather than book a room with a private pool.

The staff was extremely accommodating, and provided a level of service equal to that seen at the Ritz-Carlton. Any time we wanted to book a tour, restaurant ride anywhere, we'd simply call our butler and they would make all of the arrangements. For us, this was exactly what we were looking for, as sometimes the hassles of negotiation and payment can detract from the overall enjoyment of the tour itself.

The restaurant was very good, but we also managed to venture out a bit and eat in Lovina Beach, which was very easy with the free shuttle provided by the Damai... especially for their bar and live music scene.

And while the remote location might seem a bit stifling on paper, we found found it quite easy to book some great activities from this part of the island as well, including an amazing tour of the Sekumpul Waterfall, a nice dive full of vibrant reef life off Menjangan Island, and a morning dolphin cruise. I'd recommend avoiding the sunset cruise though if you do the dolphin cruise, as it didn't include drinks/food and only differed from the dolphin cruise by being at sunset and without any dolphins.

All in all, it was an incredible trip, and the Damai really helped make it memorable and special.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with any of the rooms, but you might want to request a room away from the pool gi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lejre
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have just been at my first visit to Bali and had chosen to stay 10 days at Hotel Damai, in North of Bali, because I needed to really relax after some hard times at work i Denmark.
- And what a vacation! - the service from the fantastic staff, the wonderfull garden and hotel,
the superb food , - it is all in all outstanding ! - I have never been at a hotel like this.
- I will surely come back, because it is (in danish) "stærkt vanedannende" !

Karin F

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Seminyak, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I first came to the Damai as a part of my first trip to wonderful Bali in 2004. Back then I was delighted with my stay but had very little to compare with. Now, after having visited countless places on the island, I'm back for Easter and the place remains on the top of it's game. The location is superb, if a bit far away from the airport. But being placed up on the hills above Lovina, a mild, cooling breeze makes for a near-perfect climate.
The staff, many which have been with the resort since the opening, are some of the friendliest and expert staff you'll find anywhere around the world. The food is fabulous and a big personal interest of the owner. And like one would expect of a hotel of this caliber, the attention to detail makes the Damai the perfect destination for people that like to kick back.
Normally, one always like to point out flaws to maintain balance in a review. My only objection to The Damai is that I can't stay there more often!

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

You should give your self the experience, to visit Damai. It will change your for ever.
The staff is great, the surroundings is just perfect and the food is fantastic, and Damai makes the best mojito, I have ever tasted :-)

When you have visit Damai once, you will return :-)
I have now visit Damai two times and I love to come back for the third time

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Damai? Share your experiences!