“In the groove” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Lovina Beach
Sussex England
“In the groove”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We are regular visitors to the south of Bali, having our own place there, and often take trips to Lovina, which we love. Beautiful quiet ocean, friendly people, loads of places to eat, cheap Bintang, and nearly always fantastic weather. We have stayed in a number of different Lovina hotels, and discovered this gem on our visit in July 2014. It has a lovely vibe, the owners are very friendly, helpful and fun. The first night we stayed we ate dinner by the beach and listened to the live music followed by tradiional Balinese dancing. A truly magical night. The food is different from any other you will find in Lovina (Lovina food is generally fairly average with a few exceptions), and totally yummy. The cocktails are great (never imagined my big Scottish hubby sipping on a cocktail containing a coconut popsicle). Hotel breakfast is often poor in Bali, but not here, fresh pastries, baked eggs, tea, coffee, fruit etc.
There is no communal pool, but each room has its own splashpool, and a swing, its a great place just to chill out, or you can walk for miles along the beach. There is a spa on site for massage, manicure, pedicure,that kind of thing, and good value in comparison to some Bali hotel spa prices. When you are used to paying 80k for a massage out in the sticks like we are (about £4 for an hour) it stings when some hotels like to charge 300 or 400k, but Lilin was pretty reasonable.
The hawkers are always an issue in Lovina, you just need to say Tidak Mau in a strong tone. indonesian for don't want. Don't start to chat or negotiate, don't buy anything thinking they'll leave you alone, will just be back for more. And don't do what one lady staying did - pay 400k for sarongs. If you want a sarong 20k will get you a many as you like! Its a good walk from this hotel into central lovina, but there is a car and driver operating up to 9pm (unless you are in Kuta or Seminyak Bali pretty much goes to bed after 9pm anyway)
There are some things here that could be improved - the ACU in the room was a bit noisy, but we don't like it on all night anyway so wasn't a problem for us. The shower worked fine but wasn't brilliant, but everything you needed was there, fridge, hot and cold water dispenser, comfy beds etc.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I just want to say everything is perfect. The location, the view and the service. We do not want to leave until the last minutes. If I have a chance to go to Lovina, I will choose Lilin again definitely.
Highly recommendation for family trip.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Visited this unique boutique hotel in October 2013, and I loved it! I have been to Bali 3 times and after holidaying in Sanur with family and friends on this third visit, I decided I would go off on my own and travel north, to see another part of Bali. I stayed for 3 nights (which I booked on line, and it was much cheaper than my hotel in Sanur!). My bed was comfortable, the food great (don't expect the 'normal' type of food that you get in large hotels, nor the same type of menus. The food was fresh and the cocktails different in a nice way. Sit and have a cocktail by the ocean listening to Rikki and her husband entertaining you from 6-7pm. She has a great voice! There's no TV or telephone, so I enjoyed looking at DVDs I took with me and a portable DVD player. It was great to hop into my own little pool after I had been out all day visiting temples and waterfalls. My only disappointment was the dolphin experience; it was more a hunt by dozens of small boats, chasing after the dolphins, with the fumes and noise of the boats. At least I was up early enough to see the sun rise behind the mountains, as we returned to the shore! There is a security guard at night as you are close to the road. I put all my valuables in Rikki's safe. I am in my sixties and often travel on my own. I did not feel quite as safe in Singaraja as I did in Sanur, as there are not as many tourists there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights.

Pros
- Very friendly staff especially Kadek who will drive you into town and pick you up when needed.
- only 5 rooms each with their own plunge pool (though I'm not sure when our pool was cleaned last, was a little dirty)
- very quite place to relax
- live band each night
- amazing sunrises and sunsets

Cons
- Food at the restaurant is expensive compared to the rest of Lovina. (Eat at the Global Village Cafe. A Non for Profit)

- the locals who hang out the front of the resort can be quite persistent to buy clothes / jewelry and was annoying by the end of our stay. Even after getting a massage, buying some clothes and jewelry from them, they put a guilt trip on us by saying they didn't have enough money to buy rice for the children and wanted us to buy more. But seem to have enough money to use their mobile phones! They really spoilt the experience here and was glad to move on.

Stayed July 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

A bit difficult to find with GPS, we missed the sign coming from Singaraja. We were pleasantly surprised by the nice rooms and the small, clean pool. The beach bar is a great place to enjoy the sunset

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Alice Springs, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This was our 5th trip to Bali but first time we had ventured north and chose Lilin Lovina as our home for 4 nights. We had Villas 1&2 which were booked as a family room - consisted of two separate apartments of a large bedroom and separate bathroom. They didn't have internal connecting doors but both opened onto a large shared verandah with a small plunge pool for each room. Suited us perfectly with my husband and I in 1 room and 16yo daughter in the other.
Lilin is not the usual private villa as they open out onto a lovely shared grassed area across which is the small outdoor restaurant and a couple of lovely sitting areas with hammocks, comfy cushions, sunlounges and chairs and tables all overlooking the beach. There are only about 8 villas so even when full there were not alot of people around and always plenty of room to get a seat by the beach.
The rooms were simply furnished with fantastically comfy bed and chair, bar fridge and a quaint hanging contraption made of rope and bamboo (this was the only 'wardrobe' but seriously who has clothes that need hanging up when you are in Bali!)
There was no television in the room but when we mentioned it a television, dvd player with selection of DVDs and an Ipod dock were promptly delivered without us asking for them.
All the staff were great - especially Peter and Kadek who seemed to be the ones in charge and with the best English. Lilin is quite a long walk from the main eating/market area in Lovina but they offer a free shuttle service anytime until 9pm at night. We used this a couple of times a day and it was fantastic - just had to ask at reception and the vehicle and driver were available within minutes. We would then phone them to be picked up or you could set a time and place for them to come back and get you.
Breakfast was a set menu with a different sweet and savoury option every morning - some interesting dishes on offer but every morning included fresh juice and a lovely fruit platter so if the cooked offerings didn't appeal you still had plenty.
The evening meal menu also looked interesting but a bit confusing to order - we steered away from it and ate in Lovina every night until our last when we couldn't be bothered going out. What a lovely surprise - the spread we received at Lilin was amazing, so much food and all really tasty and well presented. Wished we'd had another chance to dine there!
There are locals on the beach that offer massages and the usual sarongs/necklaces/carved dolphins. They will call out to you or try and engage in conversation while you are relaxing or having a meal - this was a little annoying (only 2-3 at a time though) but once you said no they would leave you along until the next day! I had a couple of great massages from Sari and of course bought a sarong and carved dolphin while we were there!
All in all our stay at Lilin Lovina was great - such a lovely relaxing place to spend our last few days in Bali. We didn't want to leave. The WiFi was great too.
I did take a bag of clothes to the laundry directly across the road - when I collected it and unpacked it back at the Villa there were 2 of my daughters nice tops missing. I went straight back to ask about them but she was adamant that I got all of the items I had left there back. A coincidence that only the nicest of my daughters tops didn't return? Who knows. I have always used the 'home laundries' in various place across Bali and this is the first time that has happened so a real shame.
If we ever venture back to Lovina we would certainly look at Lilin Lovina to call home again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I've been to the Lilin Beach Hotel for 4 nights and it was a very pleasant stay. The hotel has arranged a pick up car from the Denpasar Airport. Arriving at the hotel – 3 hours later we were greeted with the best "karma" that Bali has and quickly got our room, which is a small bungalow with a small swimming pool - and terrace with table and hanging bed - private yet in contact with the "surrounding world" and look to the beach. Lilin is a small and intimate beach hotel, where you have time to get into conversation with several guests and staff. Everyone is smiling and friendly welcoming - not just at the hotel - but generally the area. There is outdoor seating in the evening - actually on the beach - and Lilin has probably the best lounge music at the beach in Bali - live every night - an hour during dinner, between 6-7 pm, when the sun goes down. Great experience. A general good beach, with little stones for the more inexperienced swimmers and with many opportunities for boating, snorkeling, dolphin tours etc, if you do not just want to laze on the beach with a cocktail and a good book. Free transportation for instance from and to the hotel to the nearby "Center" where there are lot of small restaurants, shows that Lilin want to make your stay as good as possible. Overall a very pleasant stay which can only be recommended, if you want some days away from the hard beat and life in Kuta. Thanks to all Lilin.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Lilin Lovina Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!