“Incompetent penny-pinching cheapskates” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bali Grand Sunsets Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lovina Beach
Bali Grand Sunsets Resort & Spa
You added Bali Grand Sunsets Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Jl Seririt Singaraja | Desa Tukud Munga, Bali, Indonesia   |
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Lovina Beach
Albany, Australia
“Incompetent penny-pinching cheapskates”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We bought an accommodation voucher 3 nights for $299 including American breakfast. We paid top dollar so expectations were quite high. Definitely not what we expected. We rocked up on 13 March 2013, they had our booking for the 14th. It was hard to find we drove past -not fast- doubled back to go down a rough driveway to an bland entrance. Went in: no-one at reception. Went to the bar to get service and do checkins. They wanted 300,000rp cash deposit, no eftpos facility. We were shown the room definitely not 4 star, maybe 2 star. Went to switch on the aircon to cool the room-not working. Asked to have it switched on-they asked for an extra $10 per night to cover "expensive electricity". Yes 10 au dollars as if $99 dollars/night wasn't enough already. We went to go for a swim, they had to turn the pumps on, no doubt saving expensive electricity again. Pool was hot anyway. Dinner: Special:beef medallion $10 tough as boot leather, my wife had a perfect cordon bleu - from a packet- deepfried! Nothing fresh here, even the vegies were ordinary. Bed seemed quite new and slept alright, but the aircon blew directly on the bed with only a thin sheet to cover us. No mattress protector, no blanket, no television, threadbare bath towels, pool towels cheap discount store coarse type. Breakfast: Just toast jam and butter with tea. Waiting waiting waiting so I ask for my eggs etc: "Oh no sir, cooked breakfast not on order". I spat it then the poor kid had to get the old man who confirmed we were having American breakfast. By the time the eggs and very fatty bacon etc come everything else is cold. We then spoke to another couple there who had a 7 day voucher but had stuck it out for 5 and were leaving. We were the only guests at the hotel- 2 couples. We then recalled the barkeep saying that most people seem to leave after 2 or 3 nights because of shabby service- we should have twigged then. Part of the package was a trip to the Banjar hot springs which was really nice and warm and quite invigorating. When we got back we went to have a shower to freshen up, as one does. Wouldn't you know it-the hot water ran out inside 2 minutes! Hallo resort: the most basic of services. That was the last straw. I got on the internet (free) and booked a hotel down the road for half the price. Packed in 10 mins and out of there. This is lunchtime the first full day!! Got our deposit back from the barkeep (poor guy-victim of bad management), which we used to pay our food and drink bill. The drama continues: the old bloke rushes across yelling in a hoarse whisper (due to throat cancer) "pay your $10 for the aircon". Wife flatly refused saying our 2 other prepaid nights, which we are forfeiting, would surely cover this. I wasn't sticking around any longer so I walked off. Not paying extra for aircon when we already paid $99 a night.
So where was the son, the 'proper' manager you ask? Living it up overseas, supposedly looking for more abandoned resorts to buy up and make a dollar. Guess what-its not going to happen. You can't even manage the hotel you have. You'd think that people who paid top dollar would be treated like royalty. I might as well have paid the internet rate of $39 per night and got the same treatment.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Wollongong, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We got this deal through a travel company back in December 2012 for 5 nights. We received a conformation email and our credit card was charged for the entire stay. The offer stated that, the accommodation includes private balcony, ocean views (and we expected it to be air-conditioning).

When I got to the hotel, I ask the staff if the room ready (which I conform it’s booking a month ago), the staff said we don’t know and they called this lady who said to me that the room is not ready, and then she asked the staff prepare the sun room (the sun room was an abandoned room located at the entrance of the motel) “they call a resort but I call it a motel which was even too much for it”. I went into the room and we were surprised that there was no air-conditions & no balcony as the deal stated & no ocean view. I asked the staff again and they said they have no authority and I have to talk to one of the owners. I asked if I can talk to lady who I met earlier & they called her and got back to me to say: she is resting in her room and I have to talk to the other owner who was having beer at the bar. I went to the guy and explain what happened and he said that’s the only room we got, then again I tried nicely to inform him about what were included in the deal, which this room doesn’t match the description of the deal, then he said this the only room we have FOR YOU and “YOU GOT WHAT YOU PAID FOR”.
I was shocked by his answer, at that particular moment I didn’t care or think about neither the ocean view nor the balcony, we were only thinking about my daughter’s condition and her need to sleep in cool room “not a humid and hot room”, so I asked him if they could move us to an air-conditioned room and he said no they all book, then I told him what if an asthma attacks daughter???? Then I got the most shocking answer, which ruined our vacation
He latterly said, “Call the doctor”. And then he said “good look” and walked away.
The next day I went to see the lady who I met the first day and tried to explain what happened and how the other owner was rude to us, She looked at me with her mocking smile and told that she will come to see me in 5 minute,
She didn’t show up, 10 minutes latter I left the room and she was there setting on the bar drinking beer (just perfect).
I tried to contact the company, which we got our deal from but there was no answer.

My wife and I decided that we would stay and forget about it and use the fan, which we were hoping it would help.
Now I’ll give you a brief description about what happened in the five days and what were included in the deal:
The afternoon: they give you a very cheap biscuit and one day we got expired milk & biscuits.
The massage (in the deal we got one hour massage): the haired one of the locals who offers a massage for $2 and they said that we can’t have it at our room and we have the massage serves at the garden’s ground.
Breakfast: the Breakfast includes jam & butter with funny test only “if you want eggs or beacon you have to pay extra”
The tour: they take you to a very cheap market, which was a couple minutes drive from the motel.
On the Christmas Eve we were leaving the motel with the kids for a drive and there was a slaughtered & bleeding pig at the entrance “which was a sign of unprofessional management” that wasn’t something you want your kids to look at. In the matter of fact there was no management at all. There was a bunch of retired people who are unprofessional & rude.
The price is too expensive comparing with places around “we were walking on the beach and there was this hotel which offers an air conditioned room with breakfast for $20 only, and that was a Xmas time”
The motel was offering a dolphin-watching trip for $15, which was only $5 next door. Just go and ask any of the locals on the beach and ask.

Apart from that, the staffs was great and polite, they did their best to make up what their owners did, they would always smile at us and they were so keen to help us.

WHAT A MESS. I would not recommend any Bali Grand Sunsets Resort & Spa after this. Obviously they can't be trusted to actually be in operation and have nothing remotely related to customer service. Book here at your own risk.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Honolulu HI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Being that this was my first trip to Bali I had no idea of what to expect. What a great find I wound up enjoying. Located on the north side of the island the resort is on a black sand beach with a scenic view towards Jakarta. My room was spacious air conditioned (July) second floor close enough to the beach to hear the soothing sound of the water running up on the shore. The property has a nice sized pool and spa, The social activities always would be centered around the resort's outdoor bar pavilion, where the staff is able to provide a refreshing beverage or food from the kitchen right next door. Outdoor dining tables right on the beach makes for nice dining spots. I was greatly appreciative of the resort owner/management helping out with activities that can be enjoyed on the island and they even help me book tours to natural hot springs and a beautiful waterfall hike. I haven't seen all of the island yet but if I go back I will definitely stay at the Bali Grand Sunset Resort as part of my trip. I still have to go out early from the resort and see the dolphins in Lovina.

Aloha Latinaloha

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Groupon Package deal - 5 nights, we called in advance & extended to 9. Lovina is a long (& windy road) 3 to 4 hour bus trip from Bali airport... especially with kids that get travel sick!! Hang on for the journey but Lovina is worth it. Definitely book an ocean view room but all rooms are on the beach. Ask for air con if its important to you otherwise the rooms may not have it. Water pressure was terrible and there was little or no hot water for most of the nights we were there. Ex-pat managers are ok but local employees were very friendly & great with the kids. Food is good at Bali Grand but is very expensive compared with close by locally owned alternatives. Wife & I have 3 primary school age kids - we had a great time in Lovina & Bali Grand lazing by the pool without any electronic gadgets (decided to have an electronic free holiday which I recommend highly!). Must do's - dolphin watching, trip to hot springs, visit to Singaraja, walking the beach all the way to Lovina (approx 5kms), hiking to waterfalls was a highlight ... compare tour prices for the best deal.

Room Tip: Ask for aircon - they will charge extra but if you need some respite from the heat - then it is a mu...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Hi we stayed there in July 20112 had a see view room really close to the ocean it was great really close to mountains with waterfall hot springs within a hour away
Singaraja old historic town only 10 minutes away great markets Lovina 5 minutes the other way dolphins of the cost

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This resort was suggested by a friend who is a resident of Bali. My entire break was 10 days, 3 of them spent at Bali Grand. The transfer was from Seminyak and was an extremely pleasant ride with great views and an explanation of what we were seeing. Once we arrived we were awestruck by the old world style of the resort. It rememinded me on an English Raj compound of old. The gardens and the ocean absolutely fantastic.

Over the three days the Staff were absolutely fantastic, extremely attentive and willing to please.

A trip through the hills was organised for us and we had pizza on a misty mountain for lunch.

On return after a nap and a drink. We were amazed by a seafood extravaganza at sunset on the beach.

The surrounds are peaceful and you have the beach right outside your day.

Going to sleep with the surf rolling in was great, my only complaint was that the resort did not have a volume control for waves crashing in.

Some of the facilities are a bit older but overall CHARMING.

Thanks team for the great stay.

What price a memory.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Found this place on the internet, booked a basic-level room that turned out to be great value - clean and well lit with a good bathroom (always a bonus in Asia). It has a pool to go with its location right next to the beach as well as a bar and restaurant that serves up a selection of Indo and Western food. Particularly loved the staff, who were sweet and couldn't do enough to help. Buy the owner a drink and you'll get some great stories in return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Bali Grand Sunsets Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!