“relax!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Jalan Damai | Kajuputih, Bali 12789, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Lovina Beach
“relax!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at Puri Mangga as part of our South East Asia trip in March and April 2013. First of all let me emphasize that this small resort is generally of very high standard and we enjoyed our stay there very much. The area is one of the less touristy places on Bali island. And even within the Lovina area, the Puri Mangga is a little further away from the main area around the beach, about two kilometers up a winding road in the mountains. So from the bungalows you have a stunning sea view in the distance with lavish rain forest right to one`s feet. The resort is certainly not at the beach (which we knew since we did our research before, but don`t confuse the name!). The staff is very polite, attentive and efficient. There are a handful of bungalows on the premises. We chose the one with the private pool which was beautifully appointed and the pool was great, too. But even when you don`t have the private pool bungalow, the general pool area is really nice. So even though this place is mainly frequented by Germans, you don`t have to be afraid of laying ut your towel early in the morning since there is easily plenty of space for all the guests possible by the limited amount of apartments available. The food at the restaurant is certainly one of the best in Lovina (it ranks first on our list, but we didn`t have dinner at the Damina which is only few hundred meters away). Mainly the dishes can be described as tasty, somewhat westernized versions (in a good way) of traditional Balinese cuisine of the area. The best part of the resort is the SPA, which is not only beautiful in it`s setting, but also absolutely amazing in treatment quality. When staying here, you HAVE to use the SPA. It is the best! The only thing we might have criticized (but only on the first day), would have been the fact, that across the valley of our bungalow (which was the most western layed out one) the road up the hill can be heard quite a bit in the night or the early morning hours. This is not the case for all the other apartments as far as I can understand. But the view makes up for it big time and the owners couldn`t do anything about it anyways, so one can get used to it after one or two days.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Thanks to everyone on Tripadvisor for the great reviews which led us to this lovely spot in the hills above Lovina. It's a long (but beautiful) drive from the Legian/Kuta area and the perfect escape from the chaos to this peaceful place. We stayed in Upper House - immaculate, spacious for two, beautiful outdoor shower, the most comfortable bed and nicest linen anywhere we stayed in Bali (including an expensive villa in Seminyak). Breakfasts were terrific and the staff sweet and most helpful. A magnificent outdoor spa overlooking the trees - massages during a torrential downpour were memorable! Hanging in the swimming pool looking over to the Bali Sea was magnificent - that image will stay with me for a long time. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I was truly lucky to find this treasure hidden in the backlands of Lovina, amidst lots of rice fields.
Puri Mangga is a very beautiful and clean hide-away resort. The staff is outstanding,always very helpful,always smiling.
There is a free shuttle during the day if you should feel like strolling through the town (which I think didn't have much to offer).
I loved the open air shower. Breakfast (with homemade marmelade and cinnamon rolls) and the dinner food prepared by their cook Dede is delicious (also offer cooking class!).
There's no TV (but a dvd and a big collection of movies to watch).
Uchi's massage was the best I had in Bali,so make sure to use the spa (even if it seems a bit pricey, it's worth every cent!). Only have one more word to describe my stay: W-O-W !!!

• Stayed March 2013
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I and my wife stayed there for 2 days as we are limited by time this Feb 2013.It is a very nice, clean and quiet place. Stuff there are very friendly, the ower is very hospitable.They offer the free van to pick up and take you to the Lovina beach, 10 minutes by van to the beach, I did see dolphins there and also did the snorkel there.. The food there is very tasty. During our stay, we were invited to Angie's birthday party, It was unforgetable... At night, you may see sky is full of stars....It was amasizing place for me and my wife. Definitely, we will come again!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bogor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The hotel is probably located at one of the best spots in Bali and the view over the island and the Bali sea is just phantastic. Our villa had a private pool and an outdoor shower ... and an outdoor toilet! I don't mind to shower in the rain, but when it comes to using the loo, I would not mind a protecting roof. Besides this, the villa is great, excellent service, superb restaurant and friendly staff.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in December and it was a great end to our holiday. It was so relaxing lounging on the day bed enjoying the view from our balcony that we didn't feel like doing much else.
The staff were so warm and friendly. It felt like a big family that we were welcomed into with open arms. I much prefer these smaller boutique style of hotels as they are so much more intimate than the large resorts.

Its a really nice location on the jungle hillside looking down to Lovina and it gets the sea breeze which keeps it much cooler than down on the flat. A free shuttle is provided to go wherever you want. You just tell them when you want to go and they drive you down and pick you up. We ventured down to Lovina a few times but to be honest there wasn't a whole lot to see and the beach isn't enticing at all. Its flat water and dirty looking. I guess Im used to our fabulous clean beaches here in Sydney and so Bali's beaches don't even compare.

We were there during the quiet times and the town itself was dead. The bars, shops and restaurants were all empty. Im not sure how they survive, hopefully they make enough when its busy to get them through. I didn't feel like doing any shopping at all.

We ate breakfast everyday in the hotel restaurant. Its an open Bali style building with a view across the rice paddys to the ocean below which was very nice.
The breakfast was ok and fresh however I felt it could easily be improved upon. I understand that asians/indonesians don't eat what we eat and so they aren't that great at preparing it however the owners here are German and so I think they would have a good idea about western style breakfast. One thing which was lacking was cereal. There was none available. I don't think it would be very difficult to provide a few cereals to choose from including some muesli. Also there was nothing really available for vegetarians as replacement for meat in any of the meals. Taking out the meat does not equal vegetarian. How about some fried tomatoes, mushrooms or baked beans for breakfast?
Also we didn't like the bread that came with the breakfast. Not only was it not very nice but it was under toasted and cold. Maybe its difficult to get nice bread in Bali as it was the same everywhere. Its this slightly sweet, pappy, cake texture stuff - awful.
You get two choices for dinner and again there is no vegetarian however the meals are very fresh and tasty and the service is excellent.
Lunch seemed to be inconsistent. One day I ordered the chicken sandwich and it was really nice and the chips were hot and crispy but the next day it wasn't as good and the chips were soggy and luke warm.
Overall the food was above average.

The pool is very nice and you can easily get to enjoy it alone at some point during the day. We stayed in the double house which was very nice although if I went again I would prefer the upper house or the jungle house which has its own pool.

Didn't use the spa as it didn't have the combination of treatments that I wanted so instead I visited a local one called Agung's and had a 2.5 hour treatment encompassing, massage, scrub and facial for much cheaper.

I would love to return to Puri Mangga one day as it was so relaxing however after having seen Lovina Im not sure if I have any desire to return again at this stage as theres nothing much there. Might check out Candidasa and Ahmed next time.

We felt sad to leave and all the staff came out to wave us goodbye. I felt like hugging them goodbye as though they were my family. I waved out the window of our vehicle as we drove away and shouted "Sampai jumpa lagi" (see you again)
I will forever have fond memories of Puri Mangga and the Balinese people in general.

Room Tip: All the houses have good qualities. Whichever one you stay in Im sure you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed here in November 2012 after seeing comments on Trip Advisor. I stayed in three places in Indonesia in November and this was by far the best. Firstly, the communications when making enquiries and booking was quick, friendly and helpful. I wanted to be somewhere relaxing and different from a corporate hotel or touristic experience. Puri Manga achieved all of these. The staff are exceptional in their genuine care and concern for the well being of guests they were always attentive without being intrusive and the answered any questions and quickly solved some minor issues that cropped up. The site itself is wonderful, very clean and carefully designed with enough different and interesting nooks and crannies to sit or lie in the sun and the shade. The spa is in a great location and the various treatments are inexpensive and just great. The food is great as well as being reasonably priced and the staff consulted us each day on what the menu may be and catered according to what we wanted. Absolutely no problem for vegetarians or non meat eaters. I went on two excursions, the first to Lovina Beach, which incidentally does not have a good beach and the second to a remote valley and village suggested by the manager - this second trip was excellent despite it raining all day. Two things that are mentioned in other reviews which may be considered downsides can also be viewed as positive. Firstly its a long way from the airport - the remoteness is part of the attraction and secondly there are insects and learning to get along with these is also part of the charm of the place. I would highly recommend this for a relaxing break of a week or longer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Puri Mangga Sea View Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!