“The view .... phantastic!” 5 of 5 stars

Puri Mangga Sea View Resort & Spa
Jalan Damai | Kajuputih, Bali 12789, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 17 hotels in Lovina Beach
Bogor
“The view .... phantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The hotel is probably located at one of the best spots in Bali and the view over the island and the Bali sea is just phantastic. Our villa had a private pool and an outdoor shower ... and an outdoor toilet! I don't mind to shower in the rain, but when it comes to using the loo, I would not mind a protecting roof. Besides this, the villa is great, excellent service, superb restaurant and friendly staff.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in December and it was a great end to our holiday. It was so relaxing lounging on the day bed enjoying the view from our balcony that we didn't feel like doing much else.
The staff were so warm and friendly. It felt like a big family that we were welcomed into with open arms. I much prefer these smaller boutique style of hotels as they are so much more intimate than the large resorts.

Its a really nice location on the jungle hillside looking down to Lovina and it gets the sea breeze which keeps it much cooler than down on the flat. A free shuttle is provided to go wherever you want. You just tell them when you want to go and they drive you down and pick you up. We ventured down to Lovina a few times but to be honest there wasn't a whole lot to see and the beach isn't enticing at all. Its flat water and dirty looking. I guess Im used to our fabulous clean beaches here in Sydney and so Bali's beaches don't even compare.

We were there during the quiet times and the town itself was dead. The bars, shops and restaurants were all empty. Im not sure how they survive, hopefully they make enough when its busy to get them through. I didn't feel like doing any shopping at all.

We ate breakfast everyday in the hotel restaurant. Its an open Bali style building with a view across the rice paddys to the ocean below which was very nice.
The breakfast was ok and fresh however I felt it could easily be improved upon. I understand that asians/indonesians don't eat what we eat and so they aren't that great at preparing it however the owners here are German and so I think they would have a good idea about western style breakfast. One thing which was lacking was cereal. There was none available. I don't think it would be very difficult to provide a few cereals to choose from including some muesli. Also there was nothing really available for vegetarians as replacement for meat in any of the meals. Taking out the meat does not equal vegetarian. How about some fried tomatoes, mushrooms or baked beans for breakfast?
Also we didn't like the bread that came with the breakfast. Not only was it not very nice but it was under toasted and cold. Maybe its difficult to get nice bread in Bali as it was the same everywhere. Its this slightly sweet, pappy, cake texture stuff - awful.
You get two choices for dinner and again there is no vegetarian however the meals are very fresh and tasty and the service is excellent.
Lunch seemed to be inconsistent. One day I ordered the chicken sandwich and it was really nice and the chips were hot and crispy but the next day it wasn't as good and the chips were soggy and luke warm.
Overall the food was above average.

The pool is very nice and you can easily get to enjoy it alone at some point during the day. We stayed in the double house which was very nice although if I went again I would prefer the upper house or the jungle house which has its own pool.

Didn't use the spa as it didn't have the combination of treatments that I wanted so instead I visited a local one called Agung's and had a 2.5 hour treatment encompassing, massage, scrub and facial for much cheaper.

I would love to return to Puri Mangga one day as it was so relaxing however after having seen Lovina Im not sure if I have any desire to return again at this stage as theres nothing much there. Might check out Candidasa and Ahmed next time.

We felt sad to leave and all the staff came out to wave us goodbye. I felt like hugging them goodbye as though they were my family. I waved out the window of our vehicle as we drove away and shouted "Sampai jumpa lagi" (see you again)
I will forever have fond memories of Puri Mangga and the Balinese people in general.

Room Tip: All the houses have good qualities. Whichever one you stay in Im sure you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed here in November 2012 after seeing comments on Trip Advisor. I stayed in three places in Indonesia in November and this was by far the best. Firstly, the communications when making enquiries and booking was quick, friendly and helpful. I wanted to be somewhere relaxing and different from a corporate hotel or touristic experience. Puri Manga achieved all of these. The staff are exceptional in their genuine care and concern for the well being of guests they were always attentive without being intrusive and the answered any questions and quickly solved some minor issues that cropped up. The site itself is wonderful, very clean and carefully designed with enough different and interesting nooks and crannies to sit or lie in the sun and the shade. The spa is in a great location and the various treatments are inexpensive and just great. The food is great as well as being reasonably priced and the staff consulted us each day on what the menu may be and catered according to what we wanted. Absolutely no problem for vegetarians or non meat eaters. I went on two excursions, the first to Lovina Beach, which incidentally does not have a good beach and the second to a remote valley and village suggested by the manager - this second trip was excellent despite it raining all day. Two things that are mentioned in other reviews which may be considered downsides can also be viewed as positive. Firstly its a long way from the airport - the remoteness is part of the attraction and secondly there are insects and learning to get along with these is also part of the charm of the place. I would highly recommend this for a relaxing break of a week or longer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This place was far and away the best place I have ever stayed in Bali. I stayed only 3 nights but would have stayed longer. The staff were delightful even given the high standards in Bali and everything works! The food was really excellent and wifi worked better than in many places in Sydney. I will long remember this wonderful place and the kind aura that surrounds it. I didn't find Freddie the lizard but hope to do so when I revisit.

Room Tip: I travelled with friends and we had adjoining rooms with a common verandah which really suited us.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

At first we thought, hhmm all the way up in the mountains, how will we get around? But the hotel actually has a driver that will take you down and up whenever you like. So, that was perfect!

The views! Oh my, the views! Just as promissed!

The staff was absolutely great! First day I wanted pancakesmwith strawberries, but they didn't have it. So the next day they made sure they bought strawberries on the market!

Kantin 21 is the bar in town, that is connetected to the hotel. Its nice and friendly staff makemyoumfeel right at home! You really feel good, relaxt and taken care of.

i can go on and on, but just go for it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The group of cottages around the pool make it feel more like a small village. Each is slightly different, but made in local designs. The staff were very friendly and attentive. The breakfast was made to order as well as the fresh juices and was excellent. The evening menu was chosen at midday so they could prepare, no problem with special diets. All was beautifully presented.
Our cottage suffered from an ant problem, but they mostly stayed outside! We had requested a quiet cottage and discovered that we could hear the road noise on our side of the site. So if you want quiet ask for cottages near to the restaurant or the back of the site (not the Palm House where we were) Pool area was the best we had in Bali. Spa was excellent value.
The value was excellent, however the term "seaview" is rather misleading as the sea is a long way away - but there is a good view! Also the website says they are 2.5 hours from the airport and our driver had to allow 4 hours to ensure we got there on time for our flight due to the heavy traffic in Denpasar.

Room Tip: Choose one near the back of the site or near the restaurant to avoid road noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
twincam-rc, Owner at Puri Mangga Sea View Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Hello Rooke,
sorry for the inconveniences... but Puri Mangga is in the Jungle, so there will be always ants, geccos etc .With the sea view, if you see the pics on our website you will notice, that we are located about 2 kms from the sea.
Transfer: with 4 hours driving time you were really unlucky, normally you need 3 hours, in the night and if there is not to much traffic we managed it also in 2 hours 15 min. so it always depends on the traffic.
but anyway thank you very much for taking your time to write a review about Puri Mangga.
Hans and Angie
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Puri Mangga comprises approx 5 chalets/bungalows set in lush, well maintained grounds on a gentle slope which rolls down to the coast about 3km away. You have an unobstructed view of the coast across rice paddies and other unspoilt natural beauty.
Puri Mangga benefits from a perfect combination of European organisation (the owners are German and have thought of everything) and relaxed Balinese hospitality. Catering is from an attractive, open-sided restaurant staffed all day and evening by friendly and helpful Meli and her team. The food is very good. Free transport is always available to and from the nearest town, Lovina (3km). Dirty laundry quietly disappears and comes back washed and ironed. I could continue, but suffice it to say that the overall feel is one of homeliness and a relaxed atmosphere in the middle of natural beauty.
Given this overwhelmingly positive experience, I feel reluctant to mention the negative that is the Internet service. However, in the interests of a fair review I also feel I must. I stayed for 4 days. On 3 of those days the speed varied between 0.16 and 0.5MBPS. At the lower end, this was barely enough to work with. On the 4th day, it failed completely due to a provider issue. Hans, the owner, wants to improve things, but has already explored most of the limited options available to him. I hope he finds a solution, because this would perfect an already near-perfect place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Puri Mangga Sea View Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!