“Birthday Visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barnham Broom

You added Barnham Broom to your Saves list
Barnham Broom
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Honingham Road, Barnham Broom, Norwich NR9 4DD, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnham Broom
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Spalding, United Kingdom
“Birthday Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We chose the Barnham Broom as it had spa facilities and was just over an hour from home. it's some 3 miles off the A47 and around 12 miles from Norwich. The room was standard, with super kingsize bed but surprisingly slightly cramped between the TV and the bed. Bed very comfortable and very quiet even though facing car park. Great choice of buffet items for breakfast and hot to order also available. Had dinner on second night in Brasserie. Went for rib-eye steak. The waiting time with starter was a disappointment though. The Brasserie was very full but it was nearly 1hr 30 mins by the time we started our mains. Staff serving seemed sufficient in number but whether numbers were too high for the chefs I can not comment. We were surprised that on arrival at Reception there was no mention of the Spa or Sports Bar or where they were. The Sports Bar seemed to be mainly used by the golfers (19th hole?). We liked the Spa facilities especially the Steam Room. Despite The Brasserie disappointment we look back on a happy birthday and a relaxing weekend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sam J, Guest Relations Manager at Barnham Broom, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your experience at Barnham Broom. It was lovely to read that you had a lovely relaxing Birthday with us.

You have my personal reassurance that your comments have been shared with our Brasserie and Front Office Manager and are now in the process of delivering further training with all the points you have raised. It is only through comments such as yours measure our successes and areas of improvement.

Your feedback is much appreciated and we shall look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

After almost 9 years together, I married my best friend this summer, my husband..but as we wouldn't be spending Christmas together; I booked an all inclusive stay for 29th December.  We had a house rented on Norfolk broads with friends over new year so the location of Barnham Broom was ideal. The spa treatments were lovely and the room and breakfast were good but overall it was a very disappointing experience and I was thoroughly upset and embarrassed for staff. Our lunch in the bar was nice but we waited over an hour and while we watched a football match and had drinks, there was an influx of complaints about waiting times, service, and the tables were a mess for so long with nobody clearing up until reception staff helped. It was explained to me that the bar was understaffed due to a girl going home with a hangover.. How unprofessional to tell guests that!
That night the meal in the restaurant was unfortunately a joke. We waited an hour for a sharing platter starter to be given one with many items missing. Our main course was undercooked and my strawberry pavlova contained no strawberries! Only sour defrosted mixed berries. Other tables there complained numerous times about waiting times, missing items and undercooked food like us and one couple got up and left. I felt really sorry for the waitresses as I've worked in 5 star restaurants for years and it clearly wasnt their fault. They were understaffed and the kitchen couldn't handle a few couples in the restaurant and two large groups in separate rooms. The lady in charge was kind enough to give us the bottle of prosecco but it did little to deflect the time wasted, frustration, disappointment and lack of items ordered or cooked correctly. Not the first married Christmas/new year treat I envisaged giving my husband!

• Stayed December 2013
Sam J, Guest Relations Manager at Barnham Broom, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience. I was concerned to read of your comments regarding your recent stay at Barnham Broom and would like to apologise to you and your husband.

I would be most grateful if you could contact me personally to discuss your experience further on 01603 759393 or emailing sjones@barnham-broom.co.uk

I am genuinely grateful for your feedback and shall look forward to hearing from you soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

First time we have stayed at Barnham Broom and we were very pleased all round .. Rooms lovely, bed so comfortable ! Spotlessly clean and lovely and quiet !!! all staff we met were very pleasant and chatty and helpful .. Food was amazing and such good value for money .. having stayed in numerous hotels .. this one has been my favourite by far as couldn't fault any part of our stay .. Thank you Barnham Broom x

• Stayed January 2014
We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It was lovely to hear that you had a fantastic stay at Barnham Broom and we are very grateful for your glowing praise. We truly value the opinions of our customers.

Thank you ones again and we shall look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Maidenhead, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Room 50, 1 night, January 7th.

Check in seemed fine, I was directed to room 50 which is across the open courtyard. Walking to my room, in a gale, I thought that this could be a pleasant walk - in summer! Indeed, walking back to reception on the morning of the 7th in torrential rain, meant I had to get wet - no, lets call that soaked. Needs a roof covering, or at least hotel umbrellas at each end on days like this?

Room 50 seemed nice. Great bed, huge quality TV, tea and coffee facilities, nice décor, very good temperature controls.

I went to the pool, had a steam (very efficient steam room, not huge though and may take 4 at the most)
Swimming - OK ish, smallish pool, partly roped off for (I guess, kiddies swimming club) so not that easy if you are expecting a) a relaxing time or b) a pounding up and down the swimming lanes.

Steak burger for dinner in the lounge - seemed very good.

When I checked in, I was asked if I wanted a wake-up call, and I replied 0 7 30 am please.
It never came, and I overslept.
That put me under a great deal of pressure in the morning - no time for anything, a gobbled breakfast (which could have been good, I just had too little time to really enjoy anything)

So I departed from the hotel, soaked to the skin and stressed. Is that how it is supposed to be?

I have raised the issue of the lack of wake up call twice - at reception and via E mail, and have yet to get any response.

So in summary, I felt that it could be very nice - but you have to make sure that the basic operations are in place!

Room Tip: Take your own wake-up clock
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It was lovely to read that you found your room to be of a high standard. I am however concerned to read your comment regarding no umbrellas being available to get across the court yard. We do have umbrellas available around the Hotel and i sincerely apologise that this service was not offered to you.

Regarding your wake up call, the system seems to be working when we investigated but we sincerely apologise to you and your wife that on this occasion the system did not work. I would like to reassure you that this is not the experience we want for any of our guests to have. We take great care to ensure that matters such as this are properly looked into and dealt with immediately.

We are very grateful for your feedback and we shall look forward to seeing you again soon.
Sudbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Fantastic stay! Decided to come back again after only two months! Polite, professional, helpful staff. Comfortable rooms,cosy beds. Great setting! Perfect. Thank you to all the staff we will be back! Ps I am hard to please so this is a real accolade to this lovely hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sam J, Guest Relations Manager at Barnham Broom, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
On behalf of all the staff at Barnham Broom we would like to say thank you for your glowing review after recently staying with us. It was lovely to read that you came back to stay after just staying a couple of months ago. It really does give us confidence that we are achieving the level of service and quality that we strive for everyday. I have passed on your kind words to all the staff at Barnham Broom who really appreciate you taking the time to write of your experience.

Thank you ones again and we shall look forward to seeing you again very soon.
essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Just spent a couple of days R and R here before returning to work next week. Cannot fault this hotel in any way. Our standard room was excellent and every single member of staff we met were exceptionally polite and friendly. Breakfast was lovely - just far too big helpings for us! We ate both nights in the Sports Bar and the food was very good. The atmosphere is just so peaceful and we will be returning again very soon.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your lovely review. It was lovely to read that you were so impressed with all of our facilties. We always try to ensure that all guests receive the highest level of comfort and hospitality while staying with us.

Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My family and I stayed at Barnham Broom over Christmas and had a very nice time. The bedrooms were very comfortable, and on the whole the food was very good and the staff very friendly and willing to please. The hotel was decorated very nicely and the leisure facilities were all open and available throughout the Xmas period including the 2 golf courses. Compared to the rest of the hotel, the Swimming Pool and Spa area is now looking a little tired and in need of upgrading but it certainly didn't put us off using it.

My only minor critiscm was that the restaurant staff struggled a bit when it got very busy at peak meal times (particularly Xmas day). Whilst I wouldn't want to critiscise the staff in any way as they really were very pleasant and tried their best (especially the breakfast staff and Amy), they did seem to lack any visible supervisory support. If there was someone in charge of the restaurant it certainly wasn't obvious during service until they suddenly appeared at the end of the meal when we had to sign the wine bill!

However, all in all a really nice Christmas break and I have to say, great value for money - we would go back and thanks to everyone for looking after us

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sam J, Guest Relations Manager at Barnham Broom, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Barnham Broom. I am very pleased to read your lovely comments regarding your Christmas Break with us. We always appreciate our guest’s positive comments and feedback so we can be assured that we are still working and maintaining the excellent service we strive for here at Barham Broom.

Your feedback is much appreciated so thank you and we shall look forward to seeing you again soon.

Been to Barnham Broom? Share your experiences!